1. Kritikilthynkr

Kritikilthynkr New Member

Not a Joiner

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Kritikilthynkr, Jan 5, 2017.

The intro title says a lot about me when it comes to joining. Anything. I don't even have a Facebook page. I went to a bday party for a rich hipster dude that asked for donations for the writing workshop he had created in LA. I gave my donation, toured the individual rooms, the writers looking like writers (just not in a Starbucks at that moment) and because he knew I was at the time working professionally with a photographer on a series for a magazine in France, I impressed him enough to ask me to join. Impressed him w/out reading a word. Just wanted me to join in and be a part of the writers club. Pay my crazy dues and sit around talking to other writers about what they are writing or what I am writing.
    It is a pretty perverse idea that writing should be communal. I am opposed to groups and clubs in all general. My stance on any group that would have me isn't a group I'd associate with, but that was six years ago, and I'm at a creative writing crossroads.
    I broke my rule and joined.
    I'm hoping to find people, not necessarily for friendships but colleagues and other joiners such as myself who are looking to see if there are others out there with the ability to say something that gets me going again. The idea of writing in groups turned me off because I romantically believe writing is done alone, and I've never been one to look for support, but here I am.
    Besides, it is cheaper to join a website and anonymously tell a web forum that writing, my fictional world, my professional life, and my identity as a creative has been shot to shit. It's cheaper to join this site then sign up with the hipster, indoor scarf wearing, cabbie cap (In LA) van dyke wearing hopefuls like I perhaps should have rather than think myself too good to be a part of the group.
    Cause now writing is something I hate, and I do not want it to be. So skipping the LA writers group and looking for...commonality rather than support because just hearing me say "support" kinda grosses me out. But I am also desperate for a new possibility and if that means joining and supporting and looking around for the ones who get me enough to help motivate me then I am game because my motivation to start over is seriously a runners ass made of lead these days.

Nice to meet you all, hope you're having a good one.

J

ps, if you don't have the Grammarly you should consider it just for the extensions to Word and Chrome alone. Totally work the money.

A man called Valance likes this.
  2. Dnaiel

Dnaiel Senior Member

I think you'll be quite happy with this forum. I haven't asked for much help with my novel, save for one minor thing. I'm not a social bug, either; this is my only social environment - online or off. I find this place is great for simply mingling and offering others a little help, chatting in general. You don't even have to a writer, really. I think there are some who come here more to read, with lots of lurkers who haven't (and in some cases will never) register an account.

So, I think this place is right up your alley. Welcome and enjoy your stay.

3. Sack-a-Doo!

Sack-a-Doo! Contributor Contributor

This group sounds almost like a brain trust or think tank. But also, if I understand you correctly, he's renting space to writers who will then all work under one roof, compare notes, give each other feedback, etc. all with the goal of everyone becoming published authors.

It also sounds similar to staff writing for TV shows.

Could be good; could be bad.

I'd say give it a try and see how it goes. If you don't see the benefit after a period of time to be determined by you, then bale.

4. Kritikilthynkr

Kritikilthynkr New Member

Thank you for replying. I have perused the sight for hours and I really think that I will be finding it useful also. I have a bit of a thread I'd like to start and some issues to chat but that's for tomorrow or the day after. Now it's time to shut down