1. shanemitchell1

shanemitchell1 New Member

First Second or Third???

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by shanemitchell1, Jun 17, 2009.

I picked up a book called: Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen, and I was curious to find out what pov it was written in. I am sure it is first person, but it is very strange to me and takes longer to read the words, I guess that is because I am not familiar with the writing style. Can anyone explain to me what style pov this novel is in? You can read a little of the first chapter at amazon.com if you click on the "SEARCH INSIDE" on the displayed book.

2. seta

seta New Member

Well, it is first person, and there's a lot of detail, which really bogs it down, in my opinion.

I prefer 3rd person novels, simply because it's easiest for me to visualize.

3. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

Besides it being first person narrative, it's also present tense. Reading present tense takes some gettig used to, I find. But it does make the story feel more personal and immediate.