1. 18-Till-I-Die

18-Till-I-Die Banned

First Shot: Ok, So, I've Been Working On My First Sci-Fi Novel...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by 18-Till-I-Die, Oct 16, 2018.

So ok, this is like my first post, feel free to shoot me down if you want. I'm an aspiring author and a fan and something of an aficionado of Sci-Fi. For example I've read the entire Lesnmen series to front to back several times in fact. And sooo...I basically kinda threw together my own "fighting style" of writing, with a series I'm working on currently, and I'm really glad I found this place cause I have somewhere that maybe I can talk to other aspiring novelists about my attempts at this. I kinda like to think of this as my own sub-genre I'm working on, and yes I understand how arrogant and silly that sounds it's just the pep talk I give myself to make it easier to show the stuff I write to other people.

Anywho, what I mean by a new "sub-genre". It doesn't really fit with common sci-fi elements exactly but it takes a lot from various concepts--a lot of the stuff I drew inspiration from was 1990's anime like Akira, M.D. Geist, Robotech and Project A-ko but also from, as I said, the Lensmen series, Warhammer 40,000 and so a lot of the stuff I write (I've been told) combines amounts of space opera but also biopunk, cyberpunk, dystopia. But at the same time, there are HEAVY elements drawn from what could be called Young Adult stories, I was always a huge fan of "teen drama" shows in the realm of say Passions or Dawson's Creek (I'm a 90's kid, I make no excuses for myself) and so again, I've been told, a lot of the stuff I write has elements that wouldn't be out of place something of that sort. I would call it more of a heavy focus on young characters and teen drama and romance elements than actual Young Adult but there you go. I openly admit that the...trials lets say of young characters and their romantic bombshells play a big part in the stories.

Another thing I've had people tell me, and this is again drawn from some of the 90's anime and comics I have as a basis, is that a lot of rather violent action scenes show up when it cuts to action. "Splatterpunk" kind of violence a friend told me, but frankly I just kinda consider it a more realistic interpretation of the type of action scenes. If some guy, some normal guy, gets in a fight with a super-human genetically augmented soldier with the strength to snap a steel bar over his knee like a twig...the normal guy loses a limb. Or maybe that's just my interpretation. Overall I tend to apply the most" realistic" scenarios I can in terms of technology. Maybe not "hard sci-fi" but I do research in actual applied physics and theoretical physics for concepts, so as to create settings which, while not plausible perhaps, are still functionally possible--and to a degree this is why the level of violence is perhaps rather...high. Because at the end of the day, the plausible effect of realistically portrayed weaponry is fairly gruesome.

The best way I would describe this is that, it's a kind of a mishmash of elements from 90's anime and military techno-thrillers overlapping with YA romance and set in dystopian cyberpunk-inspired space operas. My idea was that if I marketed it at all, I'd kinda push the YA aspect more. And I had this idea, kinda inspired by comic books, to publish things in "parts" more like novellas of 150-300 pages on a fast pace so as to create a kind of serialized feel--again akin to something like a teen drama or soap opera, in keeping with a lot of the characterization and themes--but when the proverbial crap hits the fan the conflicts can explode rather violently.

And I wanted to kind of get some ideas from people who, frankly, probably know more about what they're doing than I do. There are some other elements I kinda didn't go into here, like elements of military sci-fi and heavy reference to "90's antihero" ideas, and I wanted to know at a basic level how this sounds and add some other details as I explain.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help or advice or pep talk, I'm interested in hearing what other people aspiring to be (or more likely are) actual writers think. I could also easily provide like examples.

Oh and example of "dystopian 90's anime" like M.D. Geist, for those unfamiliar...

2. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

Kanedaaaaaaa...!
    :)

Welcome!
    Make sure to look at everything for a while. Reply to threads. Give critiques aplenty in Workshop. Just tell them what you got from it, or didn't get, until you can offer actual help, at comfort level, etc. See all the guidelines, don't hesitate to ask questions in threads. People will point you to answers.

Sci-Fi! Yay! :-D

3. Lew

Lew Contributor Contributor

Welcome aboard, and don't worry about fitting into a particular genre. Each writer's story often spans several, the better ones especially. Good luck!

NateSean and Medazza like this.