1. Jesse

Jesse New Member

Your experience level

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Jesse, Jun 17, 2006.

What experiene level are you at writing? Have you ever sold your writing or been published?

As for me, I'm just starting out... I've written a few short stories and dabbled in some longer work, but that's about it.

2. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

I've written a ton of poetry, several short stories, and a couple chapters in a few novels I'm working on... so I guess I'd say my experience level is beginner/intermediate.

3. yogesh

yogesh New Member

Just starting out, writing my travel experiences, blog, articles and product reviews etc.

4. etali

etali New Member

I have had some reviews and short articles published, but that was a fair while ago. I'm hoping to get more work published soon. One day I'd like to write fiction, but I find that much harder than the informational stuff I do at the moment.

5. aboyd

aboyd New Member

I was the editor of Whisper magazine back in the 1990s. And I was the assistant editor of the Sonoma Mandala during the same time. I was published about 50 times.

But I gave up most writing for Web work, as it actually paid a living wage. Nowadays I'm doing OK enough to have created some writing Web sites. I still haven't gotten back into publishing my poetry much, though. I sent about 30 of them out to small press publishers last year, all were soundly rejected. :)

-Tony

6. Peter

Peter New Member

Beginner/intermediate for me, too. I've been writing fiction just a few years, and am still at that "what style should I write in" phase.

7. Hylo

Hylo New Member

I have to go with beginner/intermediate too. I write a lot these days for my blogs on a variety of subjects from football to music to product reviews as well as trying to find the time to practice my fiction writing which is what I really want to do.

8. Diuretic

Diuretic New Member

I've edited an in-house magazine and written for it (no rejections - surprise! :D ).

I've mainly written for academic purposes but never been published in fiction and I hope to correct that. One day.

9. Teigra

Teigra New Member

The other day I did a count and I came to realize that in the last four years I have written 4,487 pages worth of writing, which translated into 3,944,073 words.

That being said, I have no idea what my "level" would be. Writing is my livelihood, and I consider myself a "young professional", but I have never published anything.

Then again, the only reason I haven't published anything is that I haven't felt that my work is ready for that yet, or that I am ready for that yet.

So... Intermediate/Young Professional/Still Undecided.

10. Handguns For Hearts

Handguns For Hearts New Member

I just write.

I wouldn't say what my level is. I don't know. I'm only 14.

I have never had anything published and probably never will.

11. M.Kirk

M.Kirk New Member

My level of writing? I've never had anything officially published, although I've had a few of my parent's friends (being agents) read my stuff, and they've said I could probably make a good career out of writing if I keep at it.

12. Daniel

Then keep at it!

13. Daniel

Very impressive. :D

14. Spherical Time

Spherical Time New Member

I'd say my level is about the same.

15. idraw22

idraw22 New Member

I'd say I was beginner/intermediate too. I've sold some of my work, done writing for others, and have written mostly short stories, but there are still a few things I'm not quite clear on in writing, and I definitely wouldn't know how to tackle a novel!

16. cl0ud

cl0ud New Member

I'm 13 going on 14. I can't really say I'm an accomplished writer. Though I have astablished my style, and what I want to do when I grow up. But I haven't published anything. I still dont have the patience to write a book. :p

17. renegade

renegade New Member

I'm trying to get published, I sent off my first manuscript the other day, since then I've written two other short stories and I've been working on a novel for the past 3 months that is now in the editing stage, some friends and family (and friends family) have read my work and so far I haven't had one bad response, apart from my english teacher who says I am wasting my talent, but doesn't someone say that to every writer eventually?

18. cl0ud

cl0ud New Member

My english teacher thought I was a horrible writer and didn't place me in advanced english. I showed her ;)

19. nightscare

nightscare New Member

I'm 15 so I'd say beginner I like writing stories and have written 2 duds which were okay but then I thought they wern't good enough and I'm writing a 3rd but I don't have much time because as my teachers constantly remind me, Year 11 is a very important year,it is your GCSE'S which I am sick of!

20. Verto

Verto New Member

Boo GCSE's damn I have coursework to get on with. I'm a beginner, most of my work is terrible.I keep at it because I love writing.

21. Sedalia

Sedalia New Member

I don't think my writing can be quantified into beginner, intermediate etc. Yes I've had a novel published, but my writing grows and gets better every time I write, therefore if anything I am still a beginner as I will always have a lot to learn.

22. storyplanet

storyplanet New Member

i'm definately a beginner (and i'm new here to hello :))

i enjoy writing short stories and am currently working on my own Fantasy Novel (Have been for like 3 months and it's only 12 pages haha) I write stories for my website (in my sig) and yeah.

definately a beginner for me.

23. Laimtoe

Laimtoe New Member

One persons piece-of-crap author is another persons gold-mine-of-genious.

Frank Herbert had trouble getting Dune published. Most editors though it was a dry read.

Look how wrong THEY were.

Essentially, you never know how good and bad you are simultaneously until the day you force your way into the published world and market your books. (Plurral, books. It's rare that a starting-out author with ONE BOOK gets the glory of fame)

24. Hellbent

Hellbent New Member

I finished second in a contest and won $15. It wasn't a very big contest and it was on Black History. I'm not black so I had no inspiration on the subject. I just did a kind of book report thing only on a movie. I'm sure the person who got first place wrote about Martin Luther King or that one woman who refused to move to the back of the bus.

Anyways, I finished second so I guess I'm a second rate writer, lol. Actually I've been told that I have very good flow in my writing and great creativity. Anybody who has ever read my stuff said that it was really interesting.

Ha, that's because I'm really creative but I'm also a realist so I know what's cool and where to draw the line.

25. Sapphire

Sapphire New Member

I guess I can say I'm a beginner, even though I have been writing for close to four years now. I've written quite a few fanfictions and had great reviews on them starting out, but like what Sedalia said before, the more I write, the better I get.

Currently I am working on a fantasy novel and I am having troubles with it, so I might be posting a lot of stuff on it to gain help from you guys.