1. meg22

meg22 New Member

Annoying but vital plot device.

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by meg22, Dec 17, 2011.

Hi. I've started a modern fantasy novel and everything's going fine except for one character. I'd eradicate her or destroy her or something, but unfortunately she's very vital to the plot and I need to keep her around. But if I can't stand her, I doubt the readers will.
    She's the Goddess of the Earth, peace-loving but tough and all that. How would you get a character like that to be more likable? :eek:

2. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

Not every character has to be likeable (by you or readers). As long as they are remember-able I see no problem. In fact, I would keep her the same as she is now.

3. UnknownBearing

UnknownBearing New Member

Don't write her as being annoying.

4. Anonym

Anonym New Member

Elaborate more, annoying how? What exactly? Unless her annoying personality is what's vital, change it. Put her in situations that highlight her more "likable" traits, etc.

5. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Unlikeable to the readers? Unlikeable to those charaters who have to interact and deal with her?

It's storytelling and how you present the character, how the character reacts and responds to others and the enviornment and action(s) within the storyline determine in large part if they are likeable and by who they might be likeable.

Of course, the goddess of the earth could have a nemisis, or maybe an 'older' godess that she defeated ages ago, etc. that may add some depth or vulnerability. What about the god or goddess of the ocean?

6. Yuri Strike

Yuri Strike New Member

She seems rather likable. I'm fond of gaia and all that...

7. Show

Show Contributor Contributor

If she's annoying, either work to make her not annoying or at least try to use her annoyance to your advantage.

8. TemporalV01D

TemporalV01D New Member

As far as I'm concerned, characters just have to believable, regardless of whether or not they are likable or not. UNLESS, of course, the character disrupts the flow or the mood or something or is otherwise just plain annoying. If this is the case, work on how you incorporate her so that she's none of those.

9. Alex W

Alex W New Member

Perhaps someone you see as unlikeable would be liked by another? If she's annoying to you though ask another to read what you've done to see if either you're annoyed by the character or if the way you've written the character annoys the reader.

If she's meant to then well done, if not, re-design the character :)