1. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

Font fun

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by SapereAude, Apr 21, 2021.

Or not fun. It's a conundrum, that's what it is, but I couldn't make that into an alliterative title.

I wouldn't willingly choose to do any serious word processing on a smart phone or a tablet but, with a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard, it can be done in a pinch. And that leads to a question:

I mostly work on a Windows 10 desktop computer. I also have a Windows 10 notebook. And I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab-something tablet that runs Android. On the Windows machines I use Microsoft Word for word processing, and I have a decent understanding of where fonts are installed so I can add or delete if I wish to do so.

Not so on the Android tablet. I have the Android Microsoft Word app installed, and I also have a word processing app called TextMaker, which I like because it has a more complete (and more classic) menu structure that the Word app. The problem is that the list of available fonts is completely different in the two word processing apps, and that confounds me. In Windows, fonts are installed to a "Fonts" directory under Windows and they are available to all programs and apps on the machine. Apparently that's not how it works in Android.

Does anyone know how fonts are handled in Android, and where they are installed or stored to they can be available to apps? And how to install and uninstall them?

2. Amontillado

Amontillado Senior Member

I think the fonts are stored in /system/fonts on Android devices. I see warnings about font managers that are actually malware, so I imagine I would either research a font manager before using it, or just handle the fonts manually. I think that's possible.

Unfortunately, I'm no longer an Android user. I probably shouldn't have answered your post - but, hey, it's the Internet! :)

3. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

I thought that, too -- until I installed some fonts there. Those fonts are only available to the system (i.e. the screen, basically), not to installed apps such as word processor and/or spreadsheet.