1. Gravy

Gravy Senior Member

Currently Reading::
    NOTHING! Because who can stand to read and write at the same time?!

Food Poisoning Murder

Discussion in 'Research' started by Gravy, Aug 29, 2021.

I have a story where a teen girl who has an abusive dad kills him with food poisoning. I realized though that I want her to get away with this crime and I was thinking it's best if he got poisoned and she took advantage of his illness. What would be the best way for my character to do this? Also, I think he ate some bad chicken, so I am thinking it's botulism. It's possible that the girl 'accidentally' left it sitting out, but I am thinking it's more of a divine opportunity.

So, the girl gets rid of her dad and I am wondering how she can make his illness worse without raising suspicions of the police or toxicologist. (Because her dad's a minor celebrity.) I was thinking of having him drink spoiled chicken broth or something of the sort, or now allowing him to call the hospital, but the more 'hands-off' the better.

Ideas?

P.s. Yes. I know this is my 2nd murder post. I guess a lot of characters die in my stories. Oops. XD

2. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

3. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

There are tons if food deaths on 1000 Ways to Die

Is her father a drinker?
    Apparently, ink cap mushrooms and alcohol dont mix.

Another pair died when the husband tried to pass garden snails off as escargot.

4. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

I just reread your post. So he was ALREADY sick from an unrelated food poisoning? Did he have to go to the doctor?

The dangers of some types of food poisoning is the dehydration, so maybe she can slip him some diuretic and make it worse? Don't know if that would be detected in the toxicology report or if it would even increase the chance of death.

5. SapereAude

petra4, Gravy and Bruce Johnson like this.
  6. Gravy

Gravy Senior Member

I am figuring that the easiest way to get rid of him is for the character to get the right chance. So, I think he is already sick and she makes it worse so that it will kill him. I mean, he would have to go to the doctor, but I don’t think she’ll let him. Because it’s easy to kill him. She has thought this over a lot and tried to plan, but could never come up with a very low risk method. And yeah. I didn’t think about messing with dehydration. That could work perfectly.

7. Gravy

Gravy Senior Member

Yes!!! This is so going to be used. I think making him die from dehydration is wonderful and using Coca Cola to do it is genius. And easy for her to feign it as an accident.

Also, it looks like the caffeine is what causes the dehydration. So. What soda has the most caffeine??

8. SapereAude

Pepsi One.

https://wilstar.com/caffeine-alpha.htm

I was surprised. I thought Dr. Pepper was at or near the top.

Gravy likes this.
  9. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

They still make Jolt? Y'all remember Jolt, right? Before Adderall became readily available, all the kids were hopped up on Jolt.

10. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Yeah, I think Jolt is still around, it's actually #2 on that list behind Red Bull. I'm assuming Pepsi One was recommended because it has the highest caffeine content among the well known brands.

I was surprised that Pepsi One edged out Mountain Dew, which was sort of a backup if Jolt wasn't available.

11. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Frigging Mountain Dew. My restaurant switched over to Pepsi products (which includes Da Dew) two years ago and I just threw the half-full BIB out last week. Two years to sell less than a BIB? No thanks.

12. SapereAude

The question was what "soda" has the most caffeine. I've never tried any of the "energy" drinks, but I didn't think they were sodas. (I've been wrong before.)

Gravy likes this.
  13. Thundair

Thundair Contributor Contributor

Back in my time, almost everyone canned vegetables and it wasn't unusual for someone to have their last meal with some botulism. Most in the know will remove the ring from the jar and if the seal is broken, it would leak. If it was undercooked, the pressure of the bacteria growth would blow the lid off.
    [​IMG]

Gravy and montecarlo like this.
  14. Gravy

Gravy Senior Member

Thank you so much for all of this useful information!! :)