1. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

For Kings, The Dark Tower Series

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Speedy, Sep 9, 2010.

Posted only a few days ago.​

Looks like things are really picking up momentum now. I still think this will turn into a hot pile of pooh, but over the last decade and some, most of King's work has gone well on the big, and small screen. (Compared to 80's/90's crap).

Just like the last chapter in the series, I'll have to check it out.

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

I just saw the SFX article about this tweeted.

I'm excited. Very excited.

3. Speedy

The is Kings super-child. So i would have to think he will wont nothing but the best for this.

At first the television series scared me a lot, but if its about moving things on, it can do really well. 9As much as i would LOVE 7 movies, it would also be BS).

Also, I'm actually VERY glad J.J Abrams is no longer part of this deal. (He brought the rights for $19 - Fans will laugh out of this). But i think Abrams got a bit lucky, and couldn't hold this story true to be honest.

Matt, you know Mr King has an eight instalment of, The dark Tower, right?

So, on that basis, i believe Stephen King will make bloody sure this is ...decent.

I wonder how they will keep the characters in terms of Movie and Series together? Will they be the same actors?

I'm assuming Wizard and glass will be done via the series, and maybe even The Gunslinger (They could start the Movie via The Drawing of the Three)

Fark, i have no idea actually.

4. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I'm not so sure it will work; yes, Stephen King is popular, but the Dark Tower series is very different to what most people think of when they see a Stephen King book. I think some people will be turned off simply because of what it is, and stop watching it - too much of something can be a bad thing.

5. nastyjman

nastyjman Senior Member

I was thinking of an Anime version...

This could work though. Start out with a movie then continue the series with some TV episodes. I just hope that the atmosphere of the series is retained; the desolation, the loneliness, the mouldering and the suspense.

Anyone seeing this as the next "LOTR" or "Star Wars" in terms of franchises go?

6. Thog

Thog New Member

I not quite sure. Did anybody see the TV miniseries of the Shining he wrote.

7. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I thought that was pretty OK to be honest, it was a more faithful adoption than the Kubrick film. I don't understand how the show had a budget of $25,000,000 to work with though, when what came out looked and felt like a cheap TV series. Contrast that to the Kubrick film, which had a budget of $22,000,000 - now I understand that the film and TV show had ten years between them, and I'm no expert on inflation and capital, but that seems a bit bizarre.

8. MetalRenard

MetalRenard New Member

I'm a huge, no wait, MASSIVE fan of The Dark Tower series. In fact, I'm not keen on most of Stephen King's work but this... Roland Deschain, Jake Chambers ... Eddie, Suze... Wow.
    I've read the whole series twice - the revised version - and now I'm hunting down the original versions.
    I was also very excited to hear about the films/TV series. I really hope they get some worth while actors and some good direction, I'd hate for this to turn out rubbish, it's a mile stone of my life, it's what made me start writing (although I'd wanted to for a while).
    I Love These Books. (I'm currently reading the original "The Gunslinger")

9. Midnight Pete

Midnight Pete New Member

Does anyone know which actors will be playing which characters?

10. TokyoVigilante

TokyoVigilante New Member

As someone familiar with filmmaking and Kubrick, I can tell you that Kubrick was an obsessive compulsive perfectionist and always went above and beyond the call of duty to make his work as perfect as possible (this means subjecting the actors to hair-falling-out-levels of stress and reducing them to tears from hundreds of takes). Filmming for TV is a lot faster paced, no time to worry about the little details, theres a tighter deadline.

11. thenewpeter

thenewpeter New Member

Hmm... I'm really unsure about this, I'm reading the series atm (5th book) and loving it... but I'm not completely sure about this, I'm a little worried at how much they'll have to change. Non the less, I'll be watching this the instant it's out.

Woopse, didn't see how old the topic was for the op. >.<
    Dam, I'm behind with this news.

12. Midnight Pete

Midnight Pete New Member

Who would you cast as The Man In Black / Walter?

13. thenewpeter

thenewpeter New Member

From the top of my head, I'd probably put Donald Sutherland as him. Hope to see James Cromwell play his part in the wolfs of the calla part (if they can get him in, and want ot keep charecters the same) ^^

14. Midnight Pete

Midnight Pete New Member

Donald Sutherland is an interesting pick. What have you seen him in that made you like him for this role?

15. thenewpeter

thenewpeter New Member

I have no idea, just the first person I could think of that tends to play darker charecters really. Although, gotta agree with your point. ^^

16. Midnight Pete

Midnight Pete New Member

I think he might be too old. In TDK:TG, Roland remarks on how he "expected an older man" when Walter finally allows himself to be caught.

17. thenewpeter

thenewpeter New Member

Ah gawd dam it! Don't post any spoilers! I've not finished the series yet!

18. Speedy

His talking about the first book anyway, which you have already read. ;)

In one of the later books there is a picture of Walter (if you have the first edition). Also i think his appearance changes somewhat.

No way would i think of Donald Sutherland though.

19. MetalRenard

MetalRenard New Member

Since the Gunslinger himself, Roland, is based on Clint Eastwood in The Lone Man and The Good The Bad and The Ugly, do you think it's unrealistic to get him on at least for one film? Since he has grey hair and ages 10 years at the end of the first... (I love Clint Eastwood as an actor =3 )

20. Pook

Pook New Member

I worry about the production values.

21. thenewpeter

thenewpeter New Member

Ah right, it's been a while since I read the first few, minds slipped a little ^^.

@Pook
    Hopefully it'll at least be along the same lines of "The Walking Dead"

22. TheDave

TheDave New Member

As a HUGE Stephen King fan (well, actually, I've lost a bit of weight lately) I cannot wait for my dream of theatrical versions of the greatest fantasy series of all time. The TV stuff might work - there is far too much material to make it on the big screen.
    I would like to see Viggo Mortensen play Roland.

We all follow the Path of the Beam . . .

ka-tet!

23. MetalRenard

MetalRenard New Member

Yes you're right, Viggo Mortensen would fit I believe. You have not forgotten the face of your father :D

24. Speedy

Wont happen. He was interviewed once about doing television and he put in a firm no. (Being an artist, he rates TV very poorly).

Considering whoever does the movie role will also be doing the television series means we'll be having someone else.To be honest, I'd prefer an unknown. As long as they are well read on their character/s.

It'll be interesting how they do Oy though. I fell in love with that little critter.

25. Midnight Pete

Midnight Pete New Member

Oy might be a CG character or a puppet. The billy bumbler is an animal that only exists in Roland's world.

Jack Mort a.k.a. The Pusher should be a really creepy looking guy, like Clint Howard, brother of Ron Howard. Does anyone know who I'm talking about? He was the "Tranya" kid in that famous episode of Star Trek TOS.