Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eurlo

Eurlo Banned

Regarding the, "Lazy talk on forums." thread

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Eurlo, Mar 20, 2011.

Heres what I have to say:

Do you agree that lazy posters on any forum makes them a bad/lazy book writer?

Cause quite frankly it ticks me off for someone to, "Judge a book by it's cover" or so to speak, I mean come on most of my post are lazy but my writing is far better I don't come here to please others! I come here to chat and relax. So whats your opinion?

(By the way this message I have acually corrected alot before sending it to you...not purposely but because thats my natural nature My family begs for me to ALWAYS stop correcting them, and in return I allow them to do the same for me and I take their advice without a problem. But they dispise me with my auto correcting self:p )

I can't even hardly stop correcting myself in real life:p
    I mean when talking to my family,ect if I say a wrong word for the wrong meaning that I'm wanting I'm like, "Oops, wrong word." then I out loud say that and then correct myself in front of them! So they know that I know I had spoken wrong. But what really annoys me is my little brother he's such a dam, "Hill billy/countryfied/redneck" who some time tries to talk, "uneducated black." Sorry I'm not against that race but do you understand what I'm talking about? It ticks me off I'm ALWAYS ON HIS HEELS ABOUT THE WAY HE TALKS, then he will say, "shut up!" or "I said that!" even when more than me has heard him say wrong-_-" Or he will say, "I'm better at english than you!" I'll respond with, "Then how are you failing that subject?" that normally shuts him up. and he ALWAYS asks me for help writing essays which with my help he always passes, and let me tell you his writing is horrible! He will repeat a point 50 times no joke in his essay, like he will say, "That is why putting animals in a zoo is so important." in almost every sentence! (that was actually out of one of his essays which was about, "Why animals benefit from being in a zoo" he was horrible I had to rewite the whole thing for him on paper to copy-_-" Reading it caused me pain to be related to him none the less he made an "A" on it....

Well enough of my babling, I think I have proved my point!

So whats your opinion?

2. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

And you're making a rant about other people's bad grammar and typos? :)

I'm not trying to come across as rude, but I really don't think other people's online casual typing styles necessarily correlate with their typing abilities in their stories.

I know I'm much more conversational the way I type here than I am in, say, my novels or my news articles.

The only time it would seriously annoy me would be if someone posted a story in the Review Room full of careless typos and horrible grammar mistakes (like using no capitalization, minimal puntuation and clumping the entire post in one huge block).

3. arron89

arron89 Banned

I think the point is more that for writers, it shouldn't take effort to use proper punctuation, observe the rules of grammar and avoid spelling mistakes. It should be natural, not even something you think about. So for supposed writers to show such disdain is pretty jarring, which I guess is what prompted that thread. I mean, surely if you're such a great writer, it shouldn't be any effort at all to write in properly constructed, properly punctuated sentences...

4. bumblebot

bumblebot New Member

Out of curiosity, why did you make a new thread, instead of posting in the old one? It doesn't seem to locked, and if it was locked, it would probably be for a good reason.

Also, mentioning "uneducated blacks" is pretty unnecessary and possibly offensive, so...just suggesting you rethink that.

1 person likes this.
  5. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

This is a good point.

But I agree with Bumblebot. :)

6. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

No.

1) On here all writers are learning and at different stages.
    2) Not every writer has English as a first language.
    3) Spoken English dlalects (especially as one of mine is Scots and classed as a sub language rather than a dialect - it has a lot in common with middle English). Punctuation changes in a dialect over time and between dialects (the natural places for commas and fullstops is different)
    4) Some of us have learning difficulties and punctuation may improve but will never be natural.
    5) Some people are coming back to writing after a gap and there is a relearning curve sometimes. (I was twelve years between study and writing for work and when I took up a pen and began writing fiction).

I am the first to admit my punctuation and proof reading skills stink. I can write and rewrite a novel in just over a month - but that same novel will take months of painstaking careful editing. If I did that it would take me days to write one post. I know quite a few published writers - very few have perfect first drafts.

However over the past year my punctuation has improved considerably. It's still not good but I am starting to get the hang of the components.

Punctuation does not have to be entirely natural at all - the end product is the priority with a story the bit the publisher sees. There is a world of difference between a forum post written in seconds, and a short story which has taken hours, or a novel which has taken a few months.

My posts are written as I speak, not as I write. My written and spoken grammar being different the natural place for punctuation is different in my speech than it is in my written work.

However I have never claimed to be a writer - I tell stories using writing as a convienient medium for it. Being a great writer is not my goal.

1 person likes this.
  7. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

This! Exactly. I tried to make these points in the original thread. Thanks, arron89, for re-emphasizing here.

8. w176

w176 Contributor Contributor

I'll just quote my ending words from the original thread.

9. Reggie

Reggie I Like 'Em hot "N Spicy Contributor

To be honest, I really don't beleive that lazy posters are bad writers (not that I want to disagree with you). I think some writers feel that they don't have to be concerned about how they write on the forums as exposed to how they are really write in their book. There are some people on here who do not capitalize their posts and punctuate their sentences when they need to. I think it's just a common thing for a lot of people, which I don't find unacceptable.

That is the kind of attitudes that most writers should have, that writing is for pleasing yourself and not just others. This is one reason why some writers feel that making replies to a thread isn't really important to fix the grammar errors on them. And I get that some posters do judge a writer by its postings, but although they won't take you seriously for posting a careless thread full of lazy writing, they would most likely see your "real" writing in the review room to realize that your writing is what it is not really that bad. I also look at it like this, why would they be so concerned about your writing anyway when they should be concerned about their own? It isn't their obligation to judge you for being a lazy replier on the forums. And I am quite sure that there are more people who are willing to take you more serious, even though you don't care to reply on someone's thread than those who would not take you any serious. Chatting for the fun of it is also acceptable, in my opinion. But the people who think that you we are terrible writters because of the way we reply on other people's threads ought to know our real writing when we post them on the Review room, and then that's when they should decide on rather your writing is good or not. Besides, why would we be so conercend about what people think of us anyway?

I understand you here, but most people have their own perspectives, so don't stress yourself caring what your "annoying" critics tell you. I've been through this all the time, and this is telling me that I should just say "Yeah, whatever," and continue to say whatever I want to say, rather it is right or wrong. I wouldn't even care what people think of me, as long as you, yourself cares about what you say to yourself. If they want to talk to you like a redneck, that is on them, I'll just keep walking.
    I have some common personal experience with you and your brother. They would tell me that I'm a "gonner," and I normally don't respond to what he or she says, because I know that I am not what my people claim that I am. The conflict also arise whenever you reply back, so don't feed him. He'll know that you will reply back, and then theis would give him an opportunity to push your buttons again if you reply. That's how I end an argument, is by not reponding to his sacarcastic remarks.

To me, it really doesn't worth your while to backfire at your brother by telling him how terrible he is in writing in return, especailly telling this directly in his face (I'm not saying that all people are like that, but that's just me), because it won't really solve anyting. Like I said eailer, if I was in your shoes, I wouldn't even bother talking to him about a rude comment, I just keep walking and continue my writer. Then you can prove to him how good your writing is, especially if it was to be published, but just be careful not to rub it in his face though (that's just me).

10. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Why have you started a whole new thread to discuss this? The title specifically directs to another thread, dealing with the same topic. Since this is more or less just a response to the original post of that thread, why didn't you just post this in there? :confused:

11. art

art Contributor Contributor

Because this post settles the matter so very conclusively, and with such force and elegance, that it warranted its own thread. Pretty obvious, I would've thought.:)

12. Elgaisma

Not to mention without it I may not have received such a perfect answer to can a man flounce :)

Art finishes this with a flick of his head and a slam of the door :)

13. art

art Contributor Contributor

If that's a flounce, then yes, I do that all the time.
    But I would have thought it more of a pseudo-flounce.:)

14. Elgaisma

Not with that avatar - you have the hair to do it on the net :)

15. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

Perhaps we need a second flounce thread too...? :D

Seriously, this place has given me more than a few entertaining moments these last few days. Couldn't have come at a better time. :)

16. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

Some people shouldn't attack others for being 'lazy writers' when their own posts are full of grammatic errors, typos and other mistakes.

17. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Aaaaand, this thread has had enough time in the spotlight. If you want to discuss the matter at hand, do so in the original thread. This one is closed for maintenance (and my enduring sanity).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.