1. DeathandGrim

DeathandGrim Senior Member

Skip a scene or not?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by DeathandGrim, Mar 8, 2013.

I come across a slight obstacle in closing up my first tale and that is whether I should completely skip a scene or not. The story is that he's set up to date his ex only to have an alibi for a murder he'll commit later on in the night.

My question is should I begin the next night by actually going through the date scene or skip to before the murder and describe bits of the scene in retrospect?

2. creative_nothings

creative_nothings New Member

Well, does the date with the ex contribute to the story? Does it help develop the main characters? Provide anything to the plot or perhaps a create a plot twist? Or is it just filler before the next bit of action? Ask yourself these questions and I'm sure the answer will come to you :)

3. DeathandGrim

The thing is his ex will also be involved in the murder scene too

Which means the only reason I'd actually put the date scene in is to develop their relationship a bit and maybe put a bit of foreshadowing or something buts all in all not needed but not unwelcome

4. drifter265

drifter265 Banned

In "No Country For Old Men," when Llewelyn is murdered by the psychopath, they don't show it even though they're both main characters. All they do regarding it is show Tommy Lee Jone's character coming in the morning after and seeing Llewelyn's dead body on the ground. The point of his character coming in after, and not witnessing the death as it happened, was to show that his character was of the "old-timer's" and always coming in second. The question is, is your scene so crucial to the story that you have to have it or can you leave it without? Also, in "Reservoir Dogs," the movie is about a jewel heist gone wrong but yet they never show the heist; just the before and after.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

ditto this...

6. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

Have I got this right? They are both involved in the soon to be murder and this is both their alaibies? (Is that correct plural for alibi?)

If so then it's vital you include the scene for they have to do something in the restaurant to grab the attention of the many witnesses such as complaining loudly, possibly feigning drunkedness, refusing to pay the bill, being shown out by security

Or (maybe it's no so vital)

And you could portray the date when they are telling the cops where they were on that night - the time of the murder.

If it's their alibi it needs to come out somewhere...

7. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

Have I got this right? They are both involved in the soon to be murder and this is both their alaibies? (Is that correct plural for alibi?)

If so then it's vital you include the scene for they have to do something in the restaurant to grab the attention of the many witnesses such as complaining loudly, possibly feigning drunkedness, refusing to pay the bill, being shown out by security

Or (maybe it's no so vital)

And you could portray the date when they are telling the cops where they were on that night - the time of the murder.

If it's their alibi it needs to come out somewhere...

8. DeathandGrim

Actually the MC is the only one committing the murder while his ex is actually meeting with the target he's supposed to kill later that night. So my question is since they're both gonna be in a later scene together anyway should I simply skip the date scene or keep it for character development?

9. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

ok so lets say for arguments sake - they are having dinner at 8pm, His date is going to meet the victim after dinner, say midnight, then your MC turns up and kills the victim - how was the date his alibi?

10. DeathandGrim

That's the whole point of it, he doesn't think that through and doesn't particularly care and I'll directly quote

Its not meant to be air tight well thought out mastermind level

11. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

sorry D&G, even the stupidest of stupidoes wouldn't think of using a witness as an alibi

anyway it's your story... maybe they could just say their goodbyes ate the restaurant door, he puts her in a taxi and tells her he's not feeling well, that he needs to go home and sleep it off or get drugs from the all night chemist - 2 lines done and then elaborate when the cops come for statements.

What might be more believable as an alibi is if he sneaks out the bathroom window, kills the victim and returns to the table with an apology and some bullshit about meeting an old friend - hence the 15 minute bathroom absence... but like you say, he's stupid and you're setting him up