1. spklvr

spklvr Contributor Contributor

If you saw something no one else could see?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by spklvr, Mar 9, 2011.

My story revolves around several people that all have the gift/curse of sight. Meaning they can see things no one else can, like spirits (one of my characters enjoy sitting in the graveyard, talking to ghosts), fairies, people who live in the water, etc. They can also see if people are possessed by demons, or if they are vampires or werewolves.

However, I've noticed that most of my characters seem to react the same way to these things. I'd just like to see different point of views on this. How do you think you would react? And what would people around you do if you told them?

2. Smoke

Smoke New Member

It would be interesting to see someone who doesn't understand their gift, and perhaps even freaks out about seeing ghosts.

Contrast between someone who is very good at ignoring ghosts and one who has a lot of trouble shutting them out while around people.

Maybe someone ignores the ghosts because they can't be real, or is at least afraid of what would happen if they were caught talking to "nothing."

3. Porcupine

Porcupine Member

Just guessing here. :)

At first, it would freak me out. I'd talk to lots of people about it, then notice that I am the only one who can see them. I'd stop talking about it before I get sent to a lunatic asylum, then I'd try to make contact with the spirits. If it worked, well, I would try to learn as much about them as possible. If it didn't work, I'd probably do my best to ignore them.

4. Dandroid

Dandroid New Member

over time...i think it would make me fairly anxious and desirous of solitude...

5. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributor Contributor

I think a person that is ablet to see spirits and possessions would eventually grow used to it, at least to the point where they don't freak out every time it happens. Otherwise, the people that can't see the spirits are going to think the MC is insane.

An interesting thought about this scenario is do any of the spirits go out of their way to get the MC's attention? Ignoring a docile spirit is completely different than trying to ignore one that is actively pursuing you. :)

6. KillianRussell

KillianRussell New Member

characters walking alike,talkin 'alike , reacting the same a recipe for mediocrity ...some people cannot let a thought goes through their head unexpressed... while other people are defectively non demonstrative..... even minor conflict between characters goes into the dramatic tension pot needed to make a reader care

7. Manav

Manav New Member

This reminds me so much of the movie The Sixth Sense and I can only think of how the boy in the movie reacted at first, fear and trauma. So, that would be my first reaction. I probably will get used to seeing the ghosts and fear will be replaced by curiosity, and that's how I'll start conversing with the ghosts.

If I tell about my unique ability to others, of course nobody is going to believe me. So, I'll tell only to those who will at least listen to me even though they don't believe me. Then I'll find a way to prove it to them through some kind of demonstration. Unless I have such a proof I am not going to tell anyone.

8. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Look up Doris Stokes. Whether or not you believe she was a medium her books are compelling and discuss her childhood.

9. Allegro Van Kiddo

Allegro Van Kiddo New Member

Initially, I would think that I've been poisoned by some kind of hallucinogen. But, I think I'd keep calm, as long as they were friendly, and I'd try to talk to them to see what they had to say. Once I realized they were real I'd want to talk to them nonstop to try and learn about their existence.

10. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

According to a book in religious psychology I read, people need to be able to explain supernatural experiences, like visions and spirits. Not being able to explain them could even lead to mental illness.

So I guess people's reactions would depend a lot on their personal and cultural beliefs. They'd first try to fit their experiences into their existing beliefs - for example, a catholic would try to interpret spirits as angels or saints, an atheist would try to explain them as hallucinations, and so on. If that didn't work, I think they'd go looking for a way to extend their beliefs, for example, reconsider the religion of their ancestors, join a new church, or read up on hallucinogenic drugs.

11. Porcupine

Porcupine Member

Something I thought of later... I would probably start "borrowing" loads and loads of scientific and military equipment to try to detect or measure the ghosts/spirits/apparitions as well.

12. Thanshin

Thanshin Active Member

I'd immediately understand that I'm crazy and go to internet to find studies about my illness.

Then I'd try to find other people with a similar mental illness to ask whether they managed to cure it somehow.

13. Ion

Ion New Member

If I'd spent my entire life with some ability to see things no one else could, I would have learned to keep my reactions to myself. If I reacted, I'd be one of those crazy people you see talking to themselves or saying strange, incomprehensible things out of the blue, and there would be a strong chance that I would have been locked away in an asylum.

I would think your characters would be accustomed to either hiding their abilities or having everyone think they were insane.

14. Earphone

Earphone Active Member

Well, if I saw things like that, I'd either think that I had gotten some form of mental or psychological disorder, or that I'd gotten possessed. I'd see a psychiatrist for the first, and go see a pastor for the second. (If it were a character and not me, he'd be a Catholic and probably see the priest. I myself am not Catholic.)

As far as reactions, after the initial shock, I'd probably try to ignore them, and pretend nothing was wrong.

I imagine such a condition would probably alienate me from my friends, since I would become withdrawn. Also, they'd probably flip if they found out.

15. Headintheclouds

Headintheclouds New Member

I think there are a lot of different ways someone could react to such as thing. For instance:

-they could think they were going insane, as has been mentioned in previous posts. This would cause depression, anxiety, and maybe a disconnection with the people they love.
    -a person could simply take it in their stride. They accept their gift and use it. They don't feel at all uncomfortable about it.
    -a person could try to ignore it. This could also cause depression, and may cause a rift within a person as they try to deny something they obviously see.
    -however, I think that the most interesting reaction could be someone who starts to believe they are 'special' or 'superior'. This could be as mild as a person simply feeling like a bit of an elitist, like they have special skills. However, it could be blown out of proportion as the person begins to think they were chosen for a special mission, that they are superior to other people because of their gifts, ect. This type of elitism could even drive a character insane, and maybe cause them to not value human life, as they see humans as an inferior species.

Anyway, those are a few different reactions that I would imagine could happen. Personally, I think I would be the type to feel slightly superior to other people, but not to the point of insanity. What can I say? I like to feel special.

16. Natbutterflyblue

Natbutterflyblue New Member

It really would depend on what they were seeing and how these creatures responded to the MC. I would be thrilled to be able to see fairys and thoes sort of creatures but If I could see ghosts repeating their deaths over and over especially if they were violent my reactions would certainly change. If the later were true I would do anything to find out how to stop it or make the ghosts stop (maybe they had unresolved issues). Either way you couldnt lead a 'normal' life but how much it would affect you depends on just what they can see, and what they can do about it.