1. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Site very slow since upgrade...

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Steerpike, Sep 26, 2011.

I don't know if this is just me or if others have been noticing it. Since the upgrade, the site loads extremely slowly. it may take a good twenty seconds any time I refresh, or if I may a post. A good portion of the time it just times out entirely, and I get an error message. Other times, I get the 'server is busy' message.

I know it isn't my internet connection because the rest of the internet seems to be working just fine :)

Suggestions?

2. Quezacotl

Quezacotl New Member

Delete System 32

Clear your cache, cookies, history, etc, every other day. If your home screen is a mess, put everything in a single folder, save for the essentials. Delete or move files to an external hard drive for safekeeping.
    If you have firefox, open about:config as well as a guide on how to use it. You can then reduce Firefox to a bare-bones browser and make loading times much, much faster. Also losing the frills and fancy effects your computer may have will vastly improve performance. Neither Safari nor IE have this option. With them, you can always reset your browser to default, though you lose everything.

For those not in familiar with computer jargon:
    Deleting System 32 will speed your computer up, yes, but you will never be able to start it up again. Tempting trade-off, I must say.

3. Steerpike

Done all of that to one degree or another. And I go between 3 or 4 computers, one of which runs Linux, and two of which have are virtually clean installs. Same problems, and only on this site.

4. Quezacotl

Quezacotl New Member

Server-side issue. Can't do much with that.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Site is still abysmally slow. A page reload was just lapped twice by a lethargic snail.

Something needs some serious tweaking.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

ditto that!... it takes way too long to even just be able to scroll the thread after going to it... and all other actions that used to be nearly instant... and are on all other sites i go to, so it has to be something wrong here...

7. CULLEN DORN

CULLEN DORN New Member

I am glad this concern was brought up.
    I thought perhaps it was my computer.

8. mammamaia

trying to navigate in and out of threads and postings, while having every single action delayed to the point of pain, is wearing me out!... today's been worse than ever... i've near infinite patience, thanks to having survived the having/raising of 7 kids, but this site i love more than any other on the net is coming perilously close to sparking a patience meltdown that can see me 'gone' till it's fixed! :mad:

9. Steerpike

Yeah, it has become pretty bad. I think it will make the site much less attractive to new users.

10. colorthemap

colorthemap New Member

Anyone who quits because this site is slow, should not be here.

11. teacherayala

teacherayala New Member

Same problem here. I use Chrome and avoid internet explorer like the plague.

---------- Post added at 06:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 AM ----------

Don't make sweeping generalizations, please, about who "deserves" to be here and who doesn't. I think people care about being here, but I think nobody has the time to write a nice thoughtful critique AND wait 15 minutes in between navigation for screens to upload. Most of us are already balancing our lives with writing.

12. mammamaia

i have to agree with ayala... and besides, i didn't say i'd 'quit' the site, only that i'd merely be 'gone till it's fixed'...

13. Cogito

Site performance tonight is so degraded as to make the site unusable in any practical sense.

I am about to click the Post Quick Reply button. Considering it will require several attempts and even more minutes, I find the button label ironic.

14. alias

alias New Member

Seems to me like a server performing more processes than it has the computing power to deal with. Maybe time to upgrade the server or restart it.

15. Cogito

It's a leased server. The provider may have loaded too many sites on the same piece of iron, or put a high volume site on the same server as WF. Or it may be tuning parameters. I suspect the latter, because the slowdown corresponds pretty closely with the software upgrade.

16. mammamaia

i had the same trouble yesterday, cog... seems to be a bit better now... fingers crossed it'll stay so...

17. echughtai

echughtai New Member

I noticed its slow too especially when clicking on post quick reply it takes ages to appear on the board.

18. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

I have problems when posting a reply with a quote; a pop up asks me if I wanna exit the page, and then I get a double post....

19. jso7m3711

jso7m3711 New Member

my computer is less than a month old and this site is still awfully slow. but i suppose slow is relative because everything else is so fast on this computer.

20. the1

the1 Active Member

New software brings with it new features and more operations to perform on each successive page load.

It may not be enough to 'tune' some settings. A server upgrade would no doubt absolve all issues.

21. Cogito

The site is again unusable today.

22. 'Nevermore'

'Nevermore' New Member

For mine computer it just takes ludicrous amounts of time to load any time I try to move to a different sub-forum. On top of that, sometimes I try to post and it brings up an error message, and I loose my post. Maybe some software fine tuning is in order?

23. The Lady Victoria

The Lady Victoria New Member

I hope the slow server issue gets fixed soon. I have moderated a writing forum so I'm used to reviewing many posted stories and I was happy do to it. But this waiting for links to open...

I'm no quitter, but I'm big on participating. It would be nice to participate frequently, than to just log in find something quick to review then log out. Slow links make the net a chore and take the fun out.

I hope I'm not being harsh, just trying to let you guys know to please fix it.

And no, I won't quit, cause I'm just not like that.

24. ScaryMonster

ScaryMonster Active Member

I’ve found that recently this site has been very slow in loading as well.
    And links to sub forums take far too long. It wasn’t like that a week and a half ago.

25. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

We know there's a problem. It's affecting the staff as much as the membership, and it's made the forums pretty unusable for everyone.

All I can do is apologise, and assure you that Daniel is working to get it fixed. Hopefully we'll be back to business as usual soon.