1. ParanormalWriter

ParanormalWriter New Member

Sections for different genres?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by ParanormalWriter, Aug 13, 2008.

I'm not sure how good this idea is, but I would sort of like to see different sections for threads involving different genres. I know writing in general has a lot in common, but I really think certain areas (such as nonfiction) are different enough to merit their own area where only technicalities pertaining to them belong. Of course, I realize there may not be enough writers in any given area to necessitate splitting them up, but I do think it might be interesting.

Possible ideas for different areas, could be:

Romance,
    Mystery,
    Fantasy (of course :) )
    Sci-Fi,
    YA

And there could be a seperate place for different kinds of nonfiction as well.

2. Etan Isar

Etan Isar Contributor Contributor

Do you mean specific areas in the Review Room, or in "Writing Issues"?

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

There is a subdivision like this for Short Stories in the Review Room, and doing something similar has been discussed for the Novels part of the Review Room. That may be a good idea, but it involves a fair amount of work to partition the existing threads, for the small benefit thet we may gain from it.

As for Writing Issues, it is subdivided along lines that are more useful for the subject - Publishing, Reviewing, SPAG, Character, Plot, and General. Further subdividing it only takes up more page space for issues that more often than not apply across genres. If you are looking for threads on a specific topic that is not genre specific, it's a lot more wok to scroll through half a dozen forums than through one or two, even given that the total number of threads is the same.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i don't see any need for further divisions...

5. ParanormalWriter

ParanormalWriter New Member

I see. I was talking about the Review Room, but I understand it'd be pretty time consuming to make those changes, and of course there'd always be stories that didn't fall into any of the genre devisions. Just a thought.

6. DontThinkJustWRITE

DontThinkJustWRITE New Member

I think a division of genres would be good in the book discussion area...I'm a fan of fictional dramas and romance (not just straight romance) and if there were subdivision categories like categories found in book discussion, there'd be less confusion as well as more interaction. Just a thought...

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Sorry, I just don't agree. The book discussion area is not anywhere near active enough to warrant that kind of restructuring effort.

8. DontThinkJustWRITE

DontThinkJustWRITE New Member

Okay, I was just wondering, thanks!

9. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

I don't see the need to expand further into genres now. It's possible that in the future it could be a possibility (either in the review room or in writing issues), but that's likely far off. We'd need to be much more active for that sort of division to be beneficial.

10. Raven

Raven Banned

I'd like to see it more active but have to agree and thus think for now at least its best left on the drawing board.