1. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

Grammar Software

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by MilesTro, Apr 2, 2008.

I'm looking for a good english grammar software for my writing problems. I found two:

White Smoke
    Creative Writing Version

And

Style Writer.

White Smoke looks like a sample grammar checker, and Style Writer is heavy detail on the grammar check. What software do you recommend?:confused:

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

nothing but your brain!...

i would never recommend relying on any software program to find or fix writing problems for anyone who wants to become a professional writer... if you just write for a hobby, anything goes... but those who want to be 'career' writers must learn all the ins and outs, rules 'n regs and be able to spot goofs on their own, as the write and proof and edit their work, imo... relying on a program to do it for them won't help to hone their skills as much as 'winging it' does and there's no program that can make decisions based on what's actually 'good writing' as opposed to 'perfect grammar' which in many cases wouldn't be the former...

that said, for ordinary, everyday use, all you need is ms word's built-in spell and grammar checker... i don't see the need for any additional software...

love and hugs, maia

3. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

4. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

I just need something to help me find my errors in my writing. So I'm going to relay on a good program to help me out. It's my choice. And I will learn from it as I make my work better for people to read them. I guess I'll choose Style Writer. Thank you for the link.

5. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

If you have Microsoft Word, try enabling the grammar settings. Instructions can be found in the link I gave you. In addition, study the different aspects of SPAG (spelling, punctuation, and grammar), and ask members of the forum more specific questions with problems you later encounter.

6. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

I'll look into that.