1. trevorD

trevorD Member

Free Grammarly add-on for MS Word

Discussion in 'Software' started by trevorD, Sep 8, 2021.

It' nice. There's an icon you can toggle on and off that helps with typos, commas, spelling, and all the nonsense that one can easily miss.

Probably most here already have it or use something else, idk.

2. naruzeldamaster

naruzeldamaster Senior Member

Does it check full sentences for context when correcting an error?
    MS Word fucks up a lot in this. For example it only checks the two words right next to eachother for a 'right' place to put a comma.
    Correct: 'You should really get that checked'
    MS Thinks is Correct: 'You, should really get that checked'
    It's gotten to a point where I have to manually decide if a comma makes sense or not.

3. SapereAude

SapereAude Senior Member

That's absolutely de rigueur with Word. Word's grammar checker is brain dead. I keep it turned off.

4. trevorD

trevorD Member

Tbh i don't use grammarly's sentence checking stuff. I think that's their premium service. I've tried using Hemmingway.com for going over stuff like that - its free too and easy to use, but i don't use it anymore. What I found with Hemmingway is that I started changing the way i write to keep that software happy and the writing didn't sound like me anymore. After having written for some time now i spot my own sentence problems and correct it in edit.

What I'm talking about with Grammarly is literally something you download and then inside Word you have to go to add ons and select it. After, Word looks exactly the same, except there's a green icon in the upper right corner that you can toggle. It highlights the stupid typos that are common, like using 'than' instead of 'that' or 'an' instead of 'on'. It picks up if i omitted an article or used redundant stuff. it highlightes where it thinks i used the wrong word. It gives its opinion on commas, not all of which i agree on, but at least i look at it.

I mean, its easy and free and i catch tons of bs that even my most careful miss regularly. For a novice writer that uses Word, I would think it'd be very helpful.

montecarlo likes this.