1. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

Frequent Nosebleeds

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Eoz Eanj, Nov 5, 2009.

Since summer I began to experience, at least, two to three nosebleeds a day. They rarely last longer than a couple of minutes, and are quite light in intensity, however, it's beginning to annoy me. As said it is summer, so it's quite hot, I have allergies as well which often cause me to rub, itch and blow my nose sporadically. I've also noticed, upon closer inspection, and (yeah, sorry to gross you out), that my nostrils are lined with this dry-bloodied crust.
    Anyway,
    Apparently frequent nosebleeds are common, so I was wondering if anyone else, is or is not like, poor ole' me, and if you have any advice?
    Oh, and before the whole 'see a doctor', thing comes into the mix, well, I've had my blood tested every three months for underlying bleeding disorders since December 2008, and they've all come back negative. My most recent bloodtest, which was eight weeks ago, was a full cell blood count and that came back normal.

2. ChimmyBear

ChimmyBear Writing for the love of it. Contributor

I had heavy nose bleeds for most of my young adulthood and then they just stopped. Both of my oldest sons have them pretty frequently and mostly in the winter months.

The only advice I can think to give, keep plenty of tissues with you...those nose bleeds can start anywhere at anytime, as I am sure you know.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It is common, particularly in low humidity, and particularly through the teens into early twenties. Blowing often further irritates the nasal tissues, and they probably never have a good chance to heal either.

Coating the inflammed tissue with petrolatum (petroleum jelly) can help the damaged tissue heal and not dry out and crack. I think there are procedures that can be done to seal capillaries that keep rupturing, if it becomes too much of a problem.

4. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

Along the line of Cog's reasoning, you might try sleeping at night with a humidifier in your room. One of my kids had a chronic nose bleed condition during our hot, dry Sacramento summers. Our pediatrician suggested the humidifier and the nosebleeds stopped.

5. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

You beat me, that's what I was going to suggest. I used to get nosebleeds all the time, and I had to use petroleum jelly every night to keep my nose from getting too dry and bleeding even more.

Kind of funny to me that this thread came up today, because I was brushing my teeth this morning, and my nose suddenly started running. Joel showers with the light off, so after I finished brushing, went to blow my nose in another room, and it turned out I had a nosebleed...hadn't had one for a while before that...

6. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    This sounds really strange to me...

I've never head a single nosebleed in my entire life. And you're telling me people have them a few times a DAY?! yikes...

7. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

Yeah, as far as I see it, you either get them or you don't.

I hope I grow out of it.

But yeah, I will try the petrolluem jelly idea. Good thinking, guys. If it gets any worse I'll ask my doctor about it/nods.

8. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributor Contributor

I had them as a kid and teen but eventually it stopped, similar to the accounts of others here.

9. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Also, and I'm not accusing, if you have a habit of picking your nose, break that habit. It should go without saying, but no one likes to admit being a compulsive nostril excavator. Obviously, it too is one cause, or contributing factor, of frequent nosebleeds.

10. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

That happens to my youngest brother-he picks his nose in his sleep and gets nosebleeds. Poor kid.