Friend gave hurtful advice. Thoughts, please?

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by jc., Jan 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luxin

Luxin New Member

If I were you, I would try experimenting with different styles of writing and pick the best one that suits you. Honestly, You don't want to make a style of writing that isn't you. I think your friend was telling you to start over a new way. "Find yourself".

2. LuminousTyto

LuminousTyto New Member

I never take a single piece of advice as being true. When multiple people point out the same things in my writing, then I know there's something that needs to change. I believe this because no matter how well you've written a piece, someone out there will have something to say about it NO MATTER WHAT!

3. Cherry Cherry

Cherry Cherry New Member

In my honest opinion I would take what he said as a good friend move. It can be hurtful at times to receive truthful advice, or critique on work. I remember back when I first started writing poetry the person who I showed adored them and decided to have me write it out in a story. After agreeing to their challenge I did and it was the worst! They had marked the paper up and then handed it back to me. Yet from that it made me wiser and more understanding with my stories and poetry. It made me a better writer.

4. Jamie Senopole

Jamie Senopole Member

JC.,

I wouldn't take it personally because I have seen friends that have more writing experience than me hate certain authors or think one of their series "was horrible. They are terrible writers" and I actually thought it was one of my favorite series I had ever read and not see anything wrong with their writing. So I think it's just a matter of preference in style, that's all. For your friend not to specify any suggestions in editing your writing besides the facts in the SciFi, and not the writing itself sounds like its just a case of preference in style. You will also come across someone that reads that same piece and loves it.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Material has been placed in this thread for critique. This is not permitted.

I didn't catch this in time to remove responses without completely gutting the thread, so instead, I am closing the thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.