1. Etheona Frogg

Etheona Frogg New Member

Frogg's in Space

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Etheona Frogg, Aug 29, 2017.

I'm thinking I shall use this as a tack-board for my ideas. Not sure how to begin an approach though. I have a lot of brainstorming and developing to do so I will start with some of the categories in forums.
    • Plot development
      • yikes
    • Character development
      • Matu
      • Crew members
      • identify and develop cultures
    • Setting development
      • Matu's world
      • spaceship
      • identify and develop other worlds
    I am open to pointers or direction (kind of feels like I need it).

2. Etheona Frogg

Etheona Frogg New Member

Character development
    • Matu
      • Matu's biological family/influence
      • adopted family/influence
      • motivation
      • challenge
    • Crew members
      • Command
      • Navigator/Mentor
      • team/family/nomad culture
    • identify and develop cultures
      • 'Controlled' Societies
      • Rival Societies
      • Neutral/frontier

Setting development
    • General Universe characteristics
      • wormholes
      • timequakes
      • alien life?
    • Matu's world
      • geography/ecology
      • settlement
      • home
    • spaceships
      • The nomad crew
      • common transport
      • misc.
    • identify and develop other worlds
      • "controlled" worlds
      • pioneer worlds
      • way-stations

3. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

The biggest problem I see you running into is...

Pretty much everything else in your story should serve the plot. If I were you, and this is just my personal approach, not a one size fits all model, I would focus on figuring out the plot first. Once you have the plot somewhat nailed down, then work on the other stuff. Without a plot, you don't have a story. It can be easy to spend too much time developing everything else and leaving out the (arguably) most important detail.

What is your story about? See if you can write it in one concise sentence and build from there.

Etheona Frogg likes this.
  4. Etheona Frogg

Etheona Frogg New Member

Thanks.
    One sentence, hmm? Matu does not know the truth about where he comes from and the journey that takes him to his past also takes him to his future..
    Lol sounds cheesy.

He comes from a joining of two disparate cultures, but he knows none of that. He doesn't know there's a price on his head, he doesn't know that the spacetime disturbances have made him unlike anyone else, he doesn't know he has a destiny in the stars....

A boy is forced to strike out on an adventure with a group of nomads, hw learns the truth about who he is, learns about a special connection with the universe, and becoming himself is the hardest thing he could ever do.

I feel like I should be saying all this with a dramatic movie preview voice.

A boy was born in a timequake and now is inexplicably linked to the patterns in the universe. One side of his heritage controls vast territories in space but would prefer he never existed. The other side is the oldest tribe of space nomads. He's never met any of them. He doesn't know yet his special talent for navigating through the currents of space, he doesn't know he may be heir to an empire, and he doesn't know he may be instrumental in saving the universe. This is where his adventure begins.

I can't do one sentence! Lol
    A boy's life has been a lie and he leaves it all behind to join a band of space nomads, unknowingly on a path to a great and difficult destiny.

There!

5. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin The bastards hung me in the spring of '25.... Contributor

Hang on, hang on... where are the space frogs? I'm not reading any of this unless there are some for real frogs in outer space. I thought it was a takeoff on the Muppet's Pigs in Space gag with Kermit instead of Miss Piggy.

[​IMG]

Etheona Frogg likes this.
  6. Etheona Frogg

Etheona Frogg New Member

I'm Frogg and I'm already in space. The Muppets are welcome to join me :D

Homer Potvin likes this.
  7. Etheona Frogg

Etheona Frogg New Member

I think I have identified 3 major plotline/conflicts. They're certainly intertwined, but to what extent, I'm not sure. I've often imagined 3 acts.

1. man vs man - conflict with mother's side of the family. Her family (settlers), vs his family (nomads). her family abhors nomads and can't tolerate a child. They command an empire and cannot allow any threat to the inheritance from him. They want him disappeared. Ultimately still pretty certain how this will be resolved. This is the first plot in that it is part of the inciting incident. There's a bounty for him. He has to run. Leaves everything.
    2. man vs self - he has a special talent he hasn't had an opportunity to discover. He has to learn about nomads, how they live and navigate the universe. He has to learn that he is connected to the universe in a unique way because of the timequakes. He learns some of this while he is learning about problem 1. He probably figures out his talent before fully comprehending it. Maybe it finally clicks
    3. man vs nature - there's something wrong with the universe. The timequakes are a sign. a parallel universe is causing problems. It's going to destroy everything unless he stops it. He definitely needs to resolve the 2nd conflict, and I think that the 1st one ought to play a role too. Not sure how yet.