1. Keitsumah

Keitsumah The Dream-Walker Contributor

Working at a Cemetery

Discussion in 'Research' started by Keitsumah, Mar 10, 2014.

Hey guys -im working on a short story, and the main character comes across a man who works in the cemetery. He is a crucial secondary character in the story (it's paranormal), so i want to make sure i don't write anything that wouldn't make sense.

So, what exactly would someone do if they worked at a cemetery? (as a groundskeeper i mean if there is one)

2. stevesh

stevesh Banned Contributor

I haven't worked at one, but I would guess it's the same job as being a groundskeeper anywhere else: mowing, trimming, cleaning up, etc. One problem that other groundskeepers wouldn't encounter is dealing with stuff left at graves by family and friends. A while back, one local cemetery banned Mylar balloons after they got out of hand.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

yes, cemeteries have groundskeepers... a smallish, older one could have one living on the premises, who does all the work, but the major biggies would more likely have a large staff of day-workers with heavy equipment to do the mowing, digging, etc....

4. Glen Snow

Glen Snow New Member

Yep trim grass, fight vampires and pick up things blown off graves that's about it. You could always track one down and ask them. First hand research is the best research...though exercise caution.

5. Lae

Lae Contributor Contributor

Try look on job websites for a job in that area, then look at the job description.

6. Morbius

Morbius Member

Some have Security Guards/Night Watchmen, depending on if grave robbers/vandals are a problem in the particular town.