1. lilix morgan

lilix morgan Member

Idea Bouncings, Please!

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by lilix morgan, May 15, 2011.

How, or why, would a vampire save a human being? More importantly, why would the vampire continue contact with the mortal?

I am at a relatively early part of one of my stories, and I know this vampire of mine chose to save a human as she laid dying in a parking lot. But I cannot fathom why the vampire would continue contact with the girl? I know it is not for blood, or spite to another vampire, it is not for redemption of his past killings, nor social stsnding advancement, she cannot make him human again, and nither of them know of her own gift.

Anyone want to bounce some ideas with me?

2. Reggie

Reggie I Like 'Em hot "N Spicy Contributor

I know this may sound cliche but I'm going to say it anyway. Some vampires, wolves and other creatures tend to make contact with humans for the simple fact that they like the human. Just like Hades liked the god of love when he splitted Earth into halves. But then again, some fantasty creatures may find it more original to save humans as exposted to killing them. Fewer writers like you would have them to save lives rather than killing lives. this is why I find your story to be original.

3. mingsquared

mingsquared New Member

Perhaps the vampire feels attracted to the girl or just pities her.

4. mingsquared

mingsquared New Member

Twilight??? :D:D:D

5. Midnight_Adventurer

Midnight_Adventurer Active Member

Hi!
    I couldn't really think of a reason why he'd save her, sorry, but because he did maybe he now feels obligated to look out for her and make sure she stays safe. Or maybe, because you mentioned she has a gift, he sense that there's something different about her and becomes curious...?

6. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Random thought: He wants to make her into a vampire, but since vampires don't age once changed, he wants her to reach full adulthood first. (You said "girl", so I'm imagining that she's a teenager at the oldest.)

Of course, that just converts the one question into two new questions: "Why does he want to make her into a vampire?" and "Why does he care if she's an adult?" But for all I know, maybe those are easier questions to answer.

Other random thoughts:
    - He wants someone who cares about her to owe him a favor.
    - She was attacked by an enemy of his and he wants to save her to spite his enemy.
    - Same thing, more details: The enemy _needs_ her dead for some reason, so he's going to keep her alive.
    - He doesn't want a publicized death in the place where she was attacked, because... OK, can't think of a reason.
    - She's the star of a TV series that he enjoys. :) (I could easily see Spike saving someone for this reason.)
    - Similarly, she's useful to him for some other reason. She tailors his suits, she's his bookie, she lives in the apartment upstairs from him and works the night shift so she doesn't complain about his parties, she's the piano player at his favorite bar...

ChickenFreak

7. HBAdams

HBAdams New Member

Vampire sires tend to stay in contact with those whom they turn. Maybe he tried to do this and was unsuccessful, but still felt the urge to be with her?

As for HOW he saves her, you could have him feed her his own blood, which could somehow save her (In True Blood vamp blood has a similar effect to this)

These aren't the most solidly thought-out answers, but maybe they'll give you an idea. :)

8. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

I don't know what your character is like so... it's hard to say. It could be for any number of reasons.

But maybe your vampire character was just simply bored. One night he comes across this girl who is in trouble and decides to intervene and help her. Because of her personality or whatever, he decides to keep in contact.

9. MrNomas

MrNomas New Member

Vampires have a lot of limitations on them, having a human indebted to them surely would be nice. I can think of all sorts of things a vamp might need a human for. I'm not sure the type of vamps you are going with but in some mythology they can feed humans their blood for everything from healing to drug addiction. If the vamps in your story can do that, perhaps it changes their personality and your MC vamp needs a human that hasn't been altered.

10. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

I don't mean to be harsh but if you can't come up with these reasons for yourself about the basic details in your own story maybe you should develop this idea a little more before starting to write or making some kind of outline... Do you really want to have to rely on other people for giving you the answers to every question you will encounter in the making of your story??I think writing about stuff like that takes a good portion of imagination since there is nothing 'real' to lean on other than other writers work=things that has already been done. I don't mean this in an offensive way at all, it's just my advice, so that you won't get stuck just because you don't know the details of the story and the characters in it.

11. Flashfire07

Flashfire07 Active Member

Maybe the vampire is tired of spending his time alone or with others of his kind, so he choses this girl he saved in order to keep himself entertained, or he's kind of reliving his youth through her or maybe he wants to feel important by having her recognize how he saved her? Or even that he is addicted to her blood (I know you said that it wasn't because he wanted her blood so maybe not)?

12. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A blood connection. The human is a descendent, and the vamp wants to protect his/her (if you'll excuse the term) bloodline.

13. youbetterwork

youbetterwork New Member

a petty rule of vampiric society requires it...
    if some other vampire saw that he had broken the rule, he would be in trouble, so he follows the rule and the girl.

14. Lothgar

Lothgar New Member

It would depend on what your concept, as a writer, of a vampire actually is?

If your vampire is a traditional, gothic, supernatural, thousand year old abomination, beyond the grace of God, prowling from the outer darkness as a unholy predator...she may just be bored.

If your vampire is a modern day wishy washy, young, attractive, teenage or college age student vampire, still dealing with the youth angst, bubbling hormones and moral tragedy of their existence, she may just be emotionally confused like most self important young people who still think the world revolves around them.

If your vampire is the moody, sexy, self absorbed monster, yet repentant moral dilemma kind of vampire, found in popular movies, there is probably some melodramatic reason, which the vampire herself may not understand yet, but will be revealed by the end of your book. It will doubtlessly tie not only into the subplot, but somehow be linked to her getting the guy in the end of the story, with enough loose ends to warrant a sequel if the book sells.

15. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

Perhaps the vampire sees something of himself in her. Maybe she has a handicap or deformity he used to have before he was turned. Maybe she's lonely and miserable, like he used to be. Maybe he reminds her of someone he used to love, long ago. Maybe she's his grand-grand-grand-daughter. Maybe she's the daughter of an old childhood friend he regrets never seeing before he died.

16. teacherayala

teacherayala New Member

Perhaps the girl reminded the vampire of someone he knew--someone who meant something to him before he became a vampire and he saves her because he feels guilty. Maybe he saw that she was in harm's way and didn't intervene, or maybe he was protecting her, but left her a little earlier, and then felt guilty because he didn't protect her well.

17. Mobhit

Mobhit New Member

No Excuse for the term!!:D j/k of course

Also along those depending on "age of your vampire, perhaps the Girl reminds him of someone he lost.

1800's he had a red head blue eyed girl who was human, she dies he lives

2011 he meets almost Identical red head blue eyed girl!

it could work!

18. StrangerWithNoName

StrangerWithNoName Longobard duke

To be honest, all these ideas sound a little bit overused to me. If I had to give an idea, I'd try something different: vampires are limited and need human servants, or perhaps "collaborators", if the immortal has mortal interest (bank accounts, properties etc...) he may need some trusted and skilled human friend to carry on his business and connections with the mainstream world.

19. Patrick94

Patrick94 Active Member

I like that, there's a lot to develop there. Maybe like Harry Potter where she is specifically needed as a blood sacrifice, or she has a family history she didn't know about?

20. Infinitytruth

Infinitytruth New Member

Mistaken identity, saves her thinking she's a vampire and BAM wrong person. ****! :eek:

21. darkhaloangel

darkhaloangel Active Member

Have you read any Anne Rice? She writes novels about vampires and asks questions like this quite frequently. Maybe try pursuing Interview with a Vampire or anyone of her other novels for some inspiration.

Remember that Vampires are humans too, and often in literature they are used to represent a particular aspect of humanity - for instance, power without conscience, or humanity without mortality. Originally Dracula was hatched out of a world that was fearful of disease which could be spread in the blood. (That was granted an interpretation, rather than Bram Stokers actual analysis.)

In your particular instance perhaps the vampire, because of his immortality, just wanted to try something different for a change. Curiosity is a very powerful motivator when you are listless and without purpose.

Good Luck. Remember every vampire story is merely a human interaction is disguise.

22. Three

Three New Member

Maybe it's a game for him. He saved her life, now she owes it to him. He has a new toy to play with. :D
    It depends on his character, really.