1. Kilna87

Kilna87 New Member

Fugue State

Discussion in 'Research' started by Kilna87, Jan 24, 2009.

Hi, am planning a story, and at the moment I only have the ideas in my head because am not sure how the story is going to go as of yet.

I was planning a murder novel, and would appreciate some help on an idea I was having. I am thinking about diagnosing the killer with Fugue State, but need some help with some notes. The reason I chose this was that I wanted the killer to not know what he is doing at the time, and this was the first thing I thought of.

The problem I am having though is, is it possible to recall short bits of memory that happened during the Fugue State? I don't want to give too much away, but it's a major part of the story.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Mcarpenter

Mcarpenter New Member

You might find THR3E by Ted Dekker helpful. I just read it and he did a great job working with a similar issue for this murder/thriller.

!!SPOILER!!
    Threw me for a loop, but it was farely well done.
    Don't waste your time on the movie, please. It was horrible.

3. Kilna87

Kilna87 New Member

Would that not be classed as a different condition? Am wanting it to be just one person, but goes through a Fugue State when killing people, then the next day, or whenever, he recalls parts of what happened.

4. Kilna87

Kilna87 New Member

I've just read on Wikipedia that it is impossible to recall anything that has happened during a Fugue State, so am guessing am going to have to scrap that idea.

But I thought of a new idea and would like some advice. Is it possible to suffer an accident that involves in one form of Amnesia, and then have fugue states that act out on the past? May be abit OTT, but like when the killer enters his fugue state, he remembers stuff that happened in the past, that in his normal state he can't remember?

Thanks for any help.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

You should really be researching this in psychology references and forums, not a writing forum. If you plan to write around te disorder, you need to gain more than a layman's understanding of it.

6. Bob Magness

Bob Magness New Member

Yeah, that is a fairly technical question to be asking here. But who knows, maybe there are some lurking psychologists around here. I just finished a book yesterday, Along Came a Spider by James Patterson. It has an interesting take on fugue states. It is a fictional novel but it can give you a taste of just one of many ways to handle it. I'm not personally convinced it is a real condition, but I am not sure it isn't either.