1. TheNewGuy

TheNewGuy New Member

Who's Starting a New Novel/Story?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TheNewGuy, Aug 25, 2010.

Hey!
    Yo!
    Hello!
    Good afternoon.

So, my fellow writers, I have come bringing a conversation starter. I haven't actually come anywhere, though...I'm still sitting right here.

I've taken quite a bit of time off from writing, and want to start again. I keep coming up with new ideas, and just bought a cute little notebook that everyone seems to think is a diary (it's NOT! It's for ideas. And it's very empty...). So if you're thinking of starting a NEW novel/story, and maybe wish to discuss it/are excited about it, reply here!

Here's my latest idea. I want to combine it with another idea. Good idea for a bad guy, methinks.

So I was watching the news today about some American boy from some landlocked state converting to Islam and moving to some terrorist headquarters and is now one of the leading officials in Al-Quaeda or somesuch organization. The whole concept of "Homegrown Terrorists?" was the headline. Did anyone else see this? Ah, who cares. Like I said, possible bad guy-backstory. But converted to fantasy, maybe...

IN REGARDS to Cogito's post, I don't want your guys' ideas, and I agree, it's not a good idea to post your entire plot/idea, especially in detail. I'm not posting my entire idea/plot. Just something interesting I heard and will keep developing. I guess if you were to reply to this, your post would contain things like where you got a unique or interesting idea, and maybe a thin hint as to what that might be. Just a writing discussion :) sorry.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

This is not a Writing Issue. I am moving it to the Lounge, but I am also going to say it's a bad idea.

If people really want to share their story ideas here, I won't stop them, but a new story concept is a fragile thing. It can be killed by a few thoughtless disparaging remarks.

You are best off developing your story ideas on your own, and only unveiling them as a completed story.

3. Bad_Valentine

Bad_Valentine New Member

Hoy! Hey there! Hai! What's up new guy?

Like you, I haven't written for far too long and have decided to start up again. I have tons of ideas as well. I don't have a frilly diary covered in lace and unicorn stickers like you seem to have, I just keep my ideas in my little ol' noggin. ;) I am way too paranoid to share my ideas here though, I don't want some plagiarist hack to steal my unique brilliance. (ha, ha.)

But here is how I come up with ideas. You can base a story on a real life news story (truth IS stranger than fiction--there is an ENDLESS supply of inspiration in the daily news), or on something that happened to you or someone else in your real life. You can write about a topic that fascinates you. This morning (when I was complaining to my fiance that I feel "frozen" and can't start writing even though I am technically ready to let the fingers fly) my fiance suggested I write a new story about a favorite book, as a finger-warming exercise. :D He's so smart :) I thought that was a great idea. I'm not going to do that (hee hee) but its a great idea for someone (not me!)

Anyway I'm glad I'm too paranoid to share my ideas, because I think Cogito is spot on. Someone's well-meaning (or not so well-meaning) comment might pop your little writing balloon. :( Don't let that happen. On that note, love the homegrown terrorist idea, its a good one. Very interesting and certainly a hot topic that could not be more relevant, ground zero mosque, etc.

4. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

I actually find getting opinions on plot outlines helpful, so far in the UK every literary agent and publisher I have looked at ask for a synopsis of an A4 page or less. Ultimately what people do like the sound of in my plot outline is the thing to highlight and what they don't its best to not mention:) afterall its the plot outline that is going to catch a publishers eye enough to read the first three chapters.

I am about half way through my first draft of a second novel and I am developing a plot outline for a third. Second novel my Queen and boyfriend of the King's brother are kidnapped. The two brother's go to find them. Along the way developing their fighting and magic skills, making discoveries about themselves and their upbringing. My husband has described my plot outline as bonkers he is waiting for the final thing to see how it turns out.

The third the main protagonist of the second book has his mind invaded and goes 'evil' for a time. His partner works to pull him back.

5. TheNewGuy

TheNewGuy New Member

Haha :) It's actually just a little black book. I had hoped people would assosciate my little black book TO a little black book, but NO.

But yeah, I had never really thought of using the news as inspriation before. But now that I think about it there's plenty of good ideas I could get even from watching The Daily Show or the Colbert Report (BEARS! haha). I'm not really interested in current events, but it might be a good idea to get interested, I suppose.

And sorry Cogito, I wasn't trying to farm ideas from people, or allow others to do the same.

Writers, please don't post your whole plot down, someone could steal your unique genius!

6. John Horace

John Horace New Member

My writing is based on direct observation.