1. GaMeFreakJ

GaMeFreakJ Active Member

GaMeFreakJ Progress Journal ...

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by GaMeFreakJ, May 13, 2019.

First off:
    - English is not my native language. I am really trying the best I can, but please correct me on typos.
    - Genre: Fantasy / Iskekai / Fiction
    Note: Please don't copy my ideas without notifying me.

Well, this is my first message and I'm very scared of what's coming next.
    Yesterday I started rewriting an old story that I liked, but it had a lack of structure.
    In the new one, I want to focus more on that and other stable storyline ideas.

The book I was starting with was already put away for a year and I am very happy to finally start rewriting it.
    1 thing I hope for is stability. I need structure, cause that's the reason I stopped with my last try. (was at 50k words)

Chapter 1:
    So here goes. Yesterday the first chapter was being completely rewritten. The original one had a more of a slice of life scene that I started to dislike. This one starts off with a depressed father who has lost his wife in a car accident and blames his son for being with her at that moment.
    The son gets beaten and tries to flee the house as much as possible.
    Now I'm trying to make the bridge to the parallel world, this too, from scratch to fit in.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  2. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Contributor Contributor

1. Many of us are speak funny languages like Finnish, Swedish, German, Spain, Chinese, Arabic, Persian...

2. You are safe unless we find some good BBQ sauce.

3. What about doing very broad outlining of your story, searching all the subplots and character arches, main plot... and rethinking your structure.

After that rethinking you can do episodic rewriting where needed.

Then slim synopsis which focuses on main things in plot and theme.

Then edits and polish.

Does this sound doable?

You would return to your text while doing tho broad outline. And you could plan your fixes before rewriting. And after that you'd focus on main things.

GaMeFreakJ and jannert like this.
  3. jannert

jannert Who? Whooo? Staff Supporter Contributor

I was given a really fascinating 'structure' book for my birthday a couple of years ago, from a writing friend of mine. It's called: The Writer's Journey: Mythic Structure for Writers, by Christopher Vogler.

It's not a 'how-to' book in the usual sense. What it does is give some really excellent ideas that can be applied to just about any level of storytelling. Here is a list of what the book contains, via some of the table of contents. It's a rich source of inspiration.

Book One: Mapping the Journey
    Includes chapters, entitled: A Practical Guide; The Archetypes; Hero; Mentor: Wise old man or woman; Threshold Guardian; Herald; Shapeshifter; Shadow; Ally; Trickster

Book Two : Stages of the Journey
    Includes chapters entitled: Ordinary world; Call to adventure; Refusal of the call; Meeting the mentor; Crossing the first threshold; Tests, allies, enemies; Approach to the innermost cave; The ordeal; Reward; The road back; The resurrection; Return with the elixir

Epilogue: Looking back on the journey

I get the impression that this book might give you insight into your own dilemma of what to do next with your characters and the situation you've started.

GaMeFreakJ likes this.
  4. GaMeFreakJ

GaMeFreakJ Active Member

Yes, that was/ is indeed the plan I made.
    I'm working at some broad outlining of my new story, and keep comparing this to my old one.
    I've decided that I keep the characters the same, but I want to push some of them more on the background to keep it easy to remember.
    Rewriting will happen a bit later, I want to rethink how this story goes before writing some useless lines and probably delete them afterward.
    Editing and polishing is hard, cause when I start doing that, everything blows up and it's like I'm rewriting it with C4,
    ~Messed up Student's brain...
    But yes, I will try to fix the mistakes in my main story and rewrite them in the other one, cause I love to complicate things.
    (btw, if this is not what you meant, please say so!)
    Oof.
    Well, that went great.
    I'm gonna go for a little walk.

Alan Aspie likes this.
  5. Alan Aspie

GaMeFreakJ likes this.
  6. GaMeFreakJ

GaMeFreakJ Active Member

First off all, Thanks a lot dear Sir.
    I just bought it online, and hope to see it in the local library in a few weeks.

jannert and Alan Aspie like this.
  7. GaMeFreakJ

GaMeFreakJ Active Member

Now I have completed my SFD (Shitty First Draft) of my project SH.

Next phases will be:

1. Very fast reading & soft editing.
    2. Making outline and doing some structural work.
    3. Rewriting all.
    4, Editing rounds.
    5. Beta readers.
    6. Editing.
    7. Polish.
    8. Next project.

Ah, I see. This looks very structural. I'm sorry for being a mess. (Tired)
    I will keep this in mind and save this, cause its really helping me right now.

jannert and Alan Aspie like this.
  8. jannert

jannert Who? Whooo? Staff Supporter Contributor

I'm not a Sir. I'm an owl. (A female owl. Made of glass. Old and fragile. But shiny!) :)

GaMeFreakJ and Alan Aspie like this.
  9. GaMeFreakJ

GaMeFreakJ Active Member

Oh. I just saw it, oof, I'm sorry :s
    I think I need more sleep these days.
    I will keep it in mind, next time I compliment people on their fantastic help!
    Greets and Goodnight.

10. GaMeFreakJ

GaMeFreakJ Active Member

I'm back! :D
    Was a busy week so didn't have much time to write a lot.
    I start to think I'm making excuses already, but my school is top-priority atm.
    So I started to write down the amount of words I wrote this week.
    Monday: 1637
    Thursday: + 937 (2574)
    Saturday: + 3488 (6062)

That's about it. Not chapter works but some words or pages at max.
    I finished chapter 3 yesterday and was very happy about it.
    I am however getting more scared with the day, cause I'm doubting myself more and more.
    The internet told me that was normal so I try to ignore the feeling and keep on writing.

The book I'm working on is now getting some mid and end work done cause that has not even been worked out.
    I'm trying to find my way through it with gathering ideas 3 chapters in front of my actual writing process.
    Until now it's going pretty good and I'm getting excited about how the story continues.

Oh, I started using Evernote and notebooks to keep my ideas/info etc stored.
    I'm trying to figure out how to get more structure in my writing and so in my daily life.
    I'm a bit messy with everything so this is exciting to use :D

Well, that's about it. Hope you enjoy your life and stories as much as I do.
    Greets! :)

Alan Aspie likes this.
  11. GaMeFreakJ

GaMeFreakJ Active Member

Helloww, good day people,

I make a habit of saying it was busy. Let me just say I want to pass my year and writing is second priority :D
    Monday: + 1265 (7327)
    Today I wrote some script and tried to make the end more clearly.
    Still doubting if I have to start over once again cause I keep finding new and helpful advice on the internet that's not in my story,
    or some mistakes that ruin it.
    Hope to change that as much as possible in the second draft.

I'm working on some ideas I came up with this week. Quite a lot actually.
    They are not really connected to this story, but I try to test some things with the tips I had read(?) on the internet to make it into something cool.

Ye, that's about it.
    Hope you all have a more... productive writing week :p
    I'm out, see ya!

Alan Aspie likes this.
  12. Alan Aspie

One way to test your text:

1. Do a broad, episodic outline / treatment. Only the plot and subplot turn + what characters do in those turn.

Shrink hundred manuscript pages to 5-6 treatment pages.

Duplicate it.

2. Check plot and all the subplots from that outline/treatment. Do turns need foreshadowing, back shadowing, amputation, more room... Something?

3. If something needs your attention, mark it in treatment.

4. If it has exact place, put it there. If it's more general, put it in the end, after all the episodes.

5. The point is that it's easier to do structural changes to 15 page treatment than to 300 page manuscript.

6. You can test, weave, kill, return, test again... in one day thing which would take weeks if you did it in manuscript.

7. While doing that you get clearer vision of your text. It's like seeing it through someone with the eyes of a stranger.

Think about this. If you like the idea, then test it.

GaMeFreakJ likes this.
  13. GaMeFreakJ

GaMeFreakJ Active Member

This could be quite good actually.
    But because English is not my native I'm still questioning the first part.

The plot and subplot turn + what characters do in those turn.
    Do you mean the scenes/chapters with this?
    If so: I just write down some lines to conclude the scenes and change that, is that what you meant?

14. Alan Aspie

(Should be turns, not turn.)

Something puts plot and subplots in motion. Might be a character, a conflict, a car crash... whatever. It turns the route of happenings. What ever puts things in motion, you mention it.

GaMeFreakJ likes this.
  15. GaMeFreakJ

GaMeFreakJ Active Member

Okay, new week, new pages are written!
    Monday: 2665(9992)
    Thursday: 1323 (11315)
    Friday: 1139 (12454)
    Saturday: 1147 (13601)
    Sunday: 3055 (16656)
    Ye, I'm pretty happy with the results. Turns out that 3000 words a day take more ours then expected.
    The progress is good too, I made the next chapter's and did some pre-writing.
    I made more big events to the ending of the book and can visualize more clearly now.
    Am happy with this week's results, less happy with school stuff dates that come closer :s

Yes, I reconciderd the advice of Alan Aspie and made the plan B but I really wanna write the story and finish it.
    The mistakes have to get out with the second draft and that's it. I'm not gonna rewrite this shit for the third time :p
    That's about it for this week. Hope you'll have a great week :D
    Greetsss

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    Alan Aspie likes this.
  16. GaMeFreakJ

GaMeFreakJ Active Member

Decided to think about some questions I have.
    Feel free to answer them, because I'm a bit lost.

I still have some questions about some things that turn out to be harder than expected:
    Genre: Fantasy / Fiction / transported to another world

- Protagonist: Action scene: Role
    Books:
    In some books, the protagonist is not always the hero or the savior. In a fight, he can be more passive or even panic.
    The sidekick then comes into action and saves the day. Sometimes even dies for it.
    Tips:
    The tips I found on the internet says that the hero always needs to be ... well... the hero.
    He can't be passive or scared in the action like scenes cause it doesn't belong there.
    Question:
    What do you guys think?

-Length before hell breaks loose / action scenes
    Books:
    In the books, the story continues about 1/4 of the book before some action is seen.
    Some books begin with the action and make a switch almost every chapter of Action and other.
    Tips:
    The internet / blogs say that there needs to be a buildup but they don't really say how long it would take.
    * My current story is at 20k words and probably ends at 100k cause its fantasy genre. also internet that advised me to do that.
    The hero now trains and will come in action after about halfway.
    Question:
    Is that too long? Do I need to add in more early on action scenes?

- Shapeshifters: mentor
    Books:
    In books, most of the time the mentors stay the same. They are mostly grumpy and serious. Sometimes there are different characters but they rare to shapeshift.
    Tips:
    There are many tips and suggestions to make mentors or sidekicks shapeshifters. To change their character or appearance every time they do something
    Question:
    1. In my story, there are some character changes in the mentor role but I don't know if it will fit in. Maybe a hard one to answer so please think this in general perspective or very broad.
    2. Another question: Are there other rolls that make shapeshifting possible / likable. What are the most used shapeshifting characters?
    3. Is it an option to let the mentor do some childish things but overall be very wise and father like?

That's about it for right now.
    I hope the questions where clear for the ones that know an answer.
    For me, I keep em here for ideas and research purposes.
    Greets!

marshipan likes this.
  17. Alan Aspie

Hero can't be passive, but he/she can be reactive until midpoint. In about midpoint he/she must turn from reactive to proactive - or the element of heroism is missing.

Hero can be scared. That is not a problem.

2. Maybe you have misunderstood the word action here.

When you are talking about stories, story structures, scripts... there are 3 main types of text:

1. Descriptive text.
    2. Dialog.
    3. Action.

3. Sidekick or mentor as shapeshifter... Usually not a good idea.

It's very typical that mentor tests protagonist. "Are you worthy of x, y, z...?" That is testing, not shifting shape. "You can past this bridge if you can past this test!"

Shapeshifter roles? A spy, a politician, any kind of opportunist, a coward, a prostituted, a criminal, some kind of hired help, a family member,

Mixing archetypes... Something + shapeshifter?
    - Love interest.
    - A trickster.
    - A herald.
    - An anti-hero. (Not the same as antagonist.)
    - Comic ally.
    - Independent troublemaker.
    - Some kind of atmosphere character.

marshipan and GaMeFreakJ like this.
  18. GaMeFreakJ

GaMeFreakJ Active Member

Okay, that post really made it clear for me.

Question about the Mentor tho,
    Main characteristics:
    - Serious
    - Fatherlike

But can he make jokes or compliments?
    My mentor is this kinda character and it makes up for some funny moments and interesting storyline.
    I want my mentor to be happy when students do good and angry when they fail.
    It creates some dynamic system that makes it easy for the reader to follow the story.

I am still reading the writers journey and they have soo much good stuff so maybe I ask my questions to rapidly but I need to know xD
    Thanks in advance.
    Greets and a big thanks!

19. Alan Aspie

Mentor is often serious and fatherlike - but not always. He/she can be kid, animal, a bit like trickster...

If mentor flips sides, then it's not mentor any more. But otherwise... not much limits. (Pinocchio had a cricket as a mentor.) But if you can connect mentors trait to training/teaching/preparing experience, then it usually works better.

Think about these characters:
    - Mary Poppins
    - Hagrid (Potters)
    - Lisa (Simpsons)
    - Haymitch (Hunger Games)
    - Emmet "Doc" Brown (Back to the Future)
    - Tinker Bell (Peter Pan)
    - Granny Weatherwax (Discworld series)...

They all work as mentors (of a kind). And they all act in very different ways.

GaMeFreakJ likes this.
  20. GaMeFreakJ

GaMeFreakJ Active Member

Heyy, its Sunday again.
    And my Sunday means that I have to write my progress in the journal.
    Exited cause I made some progress on different things.
    Words:
    Tuesday: 2277 (20266)
    Thursday: 648 (20914)
    Yes, I know, not much writing. instead, I made a lot of revisions/ refining/ reworking on(?) the first 3 chapters.

Today, I also did some Pinterest cleanup (?)of my account.
    Made a couple of ideas for new books and worked on that for a bit.
    A picture is all it takes to write an A4 full of ideas. I only need to make a structured notebook after and I can start!

Yeah, I had a lot of stress with school so didn't do a lot of work on my book.
    In two weeks I finish school.. if I made it through all the stuff, hopefully, I'm done after that.
    This summer is gonna be great, I have a lot of ideas I wanna work out!

I guess that sums up my activities.
    Greets!

marshipan and Alan Aspie like this.
  21. GaMeFreakJ

GaMeFreakJ Active Member

Hellow people!

Shocking yes, I know, it's not Sunday!
    Fact is, school exams are coming up next week so I don't know if I have time... or motivation.
    First thing:
    Atm, I'm not really getting words on the paper.

Words:

Monday: 3790 (24704)
    Tuesday: 1294 (25998)

Also, I'm busy with expanding all my ideas about some book ideas. Got a total of 9 made up so far.
    Exited about 3/4 to work more on. Just to put my mind of the stress that comes with school :/

WIP: Yuki in a strange world (25998) Is still the book where I will be spending most of my time on of course.
    I'm facing some problems with the level of adventure and more info. They are still training for the battles that will come but I don't know how to make some side adventure / or a little step up to the battle.
    They had had(?) two practice battles with each other as a group, Yuki (protagonist) was faced with his trauma and got some help with getting over it (small steps yes)

WIP: Concepts: * Translated * - All Fiction
    - The Winged
    A smart female girl turns out to be very good at math and physics. She graduated and goes to the capital to do projects about aircraft. This doesn't exist yet so this is pretty dramatic for the 'normal' people. She builds her first theoretical model to finish her study and goes to a workshop soon after to realize her dream. She builds on her own the first aircraft. 1 man plane with just 2 whings and a small engine. She then continues with ships / transport and home automation. Maybe a war, I'm still asking around on this forum is that is a good idea.

- Constructed woman
    (A professor is building a robot girl cause that was his goal for a long time. The corrupted government tries to stop him. The cause: illegal information that he stole from the lab where he was fired from. This because his boss was just lunatic.
    A hectic story starts when the government finally finds him and shoots him. His robot saves him and carries him away ...)

- The Hated Hero
    He has been chosen by the Gods with 4 other young adults to 'save his country'. They have been given superpowers to handle a chosen weapon and get stronger with it. The protagonist doesn't like dumb fighting and tries helping people and studies medicins. He is negotiating throughout the story with elves, dwarves and other monsters / people.
    The other 4 people and the whole country is laughing about him cause he has no real strength or power.
    (Anime source: The shield Hero)

- The portal
    - The Female Gladiator
    - The unknown
    - The female resident
    - The scarce country
    - Dark earth

Ye, the highlighted ones I'm pretty hyped on. (about?)
    So, my summer vacation will be great! All that's left is to pray to all Gods to get me through the next weeks.
    Greets!

22. Alan Aspie

It's good to do lower creativity work if stress and situations stop creative writing.

But you must have your ladders back to upper level ready and solid.

My way to work is to concentrate to one project but to let others grow in the background.

GaMeFreakJ likes this.
  23. GaMeFreakJ

GaMeFreakJ Active Member

Hey!
    Sunday awaits your message!
    Back from my last week of study.
    Hope to hear the results and do some finishing work for school is it turns out to be a pass ;d

No writing was done this week. Did some loose stories and let wrote some of that to put my mind off school.
    Happy to see that stories come out better then I thought.
    Internet says that a writer's first story is always bad. So i'm working on next stories in the meantime XD

Ye, short but that's it. Hope that this week will turn out to be a more productive writing week.
    Greets!

Ps: Thanks Alan Aspie for the advice. Indeed a 'ladder back to upper level' needed to start with my story again!

marshipan and Alan Aspie like this.
  24. Alan Aspie

You are welcome.

GaMeFreakJ likes this.
  25. GaMeFreakJ

GaMeFreakJ Active Member

Monday today.
    Was a bit late when I realized that I was already a day late.
    No writing this week on my book.
    Thought of some ideas for new ones.
    Not really actively doing anything besides trying to pass my Math. Again.
    It's this Thursday so that's gonna be my last day being distracted from writing.
    Wanna pick up the phase this weekend and start writing with my book then.
    Looking forward to doing that.
    That's gonna be it for this week.
    Greets! :D

marshipan likes this.