Gender Fluidity and Identity

Discussion in 'Research' started by morphghost, Feb 12, 2016.

1. NeighborVoid

NeighborVoid Active Member

That might just be due to the sheer number of replies you post in a short duration of time. There was like 4 consecutive replies on one of the pages, if I remember correctly.

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Some people don't realize that gender and biological sex are two different things. They use the terms interchangeably. Gender seems to me to have a biological basis (though that's likely not all of the story), but is much more complex than biological sex. When it comes to gender fluidity, transgender individuals etc., it doesn't make much sense to me wo argue with those people when they tell you about their experience. If someone says "This is how I felt about my gender and sexuality growing up, this is how I feel about it now, and this has been my own experience in life," then how can you argue with that. Their experience is what it is. Empathize and learn from it.

izzybot likes this.
  3. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Are you saying you think I'm mad about people disagreeing with me? That's not what I was saying. I was saying I don't like it that this person doesn't want to hear from me ever again. It's a big statement, and I find it kind of hurtful, what's so bad that they can't handle?
    And let's not go back to the nature of gender thing. We had it twice and got someone to ignore me. I don't want to have this argument again if it just keeps coming back without resolution and people run off saying I'm apparently arrogant. That's not a pleasant result for anyone.
    upload_2016-2-22_6-48-11.jpeg

4. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Who said you were mad about anything?

5. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

You do a thing that I call "ownership of the truth." (I didn't make up the term but I don't know if the world's meaning is my meaning.) You assume that your belief is true, and you refuse to understand any contrary belief even for the sake of argument. While you claim to be open to the possibility of being wrong, you require a level of proof not unlike what might be required in a court of law, and your refusal to understand the contrary opinion makes it impossible to argue it anyway.

I don't say this out of any willingness to debate it. It's how I perceive your interaction in any argument. I assume that you still assume that the communication issues between you and me were entirely and utterly my fault. You can consider that already said.

6. Oscar Leigh

It sounded like you were saying I was just fed up with people disagreeing. Which is not at all what happened. I'm talking about one specific user who choose to never hear from me again. And I'm saying it's making me feel bad. I don't mind the debate we had, except for it's consuming nature, I think we at least avoided a flame war and had some resolutions.

7. Oscar Leigh

I don't necessarily require you to give me a bunch of evidence. You can use reason in your arguments. I have been convinced by reason more in my life than evidence because it is easier to come across reasoning in an argument. I only suggested that some level of evidence was good. And I don't at all think I'm absolutely right, my argument was based of things I read from other people's research or reasoning. And I make a habit of reconsidering my stance on ideas I have frequently, usually I end up think through at least one a day. It's good to reconsider in case you missed something.
    Again, my passion for the argument reflected a little bit more confidence than I meant, but I did multiple times give on points, express doubt and clarify the weaknesses in my argument. It's not like I was the only one making strong statements anyway, you and @izzybot made some significant assertive-sounding arguments yourself. I don't see why I should be singled out as "the arrogant guy". We were just being passionate, it's why it was so consuming that it lasted that long and twice.

8. Oscar Leigh

My philosophy on arguments is you must always be able to move on from one argument. Just because you might have felt frustrated with someone once, doesn't mean you should never talk to them again. So let's be clear, I'm not holding any grudges here. Let's not do that. Please.

9. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Did you understand the salt analogy at all? Two people arguing utterly different aspects of an issue, one totally unwilling or unable to realize that?

10. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

This line of discussion is about as relevant to this thread as this picture:

[​IMG]

The meta discussion continues to derail the thread just when it got back on track, making it less and less useful to the OP, so perhaps it's best to let it go.

Batman-on-a-unicorn will reopen this thread in a little bit.

11. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

I don't think that's actually a unicorn. Don't you see the bolts on the knees?

12. Oscar Leigh

It's a cyber unicorn! :p

13. Feo Takahari

Feo Takahari Senior Member

You've been missing out on a classic: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robot_Unicorn_Attack

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  14. Oscar Leigh

That what I said! Robot unicorns will take over the world someday. They'll beat the squid, because they don't have to evolve, they can redesign!