Gender, power, feminism, patriarchy...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Steerpike, May 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J_Jammer

J_Jammer Banned

It's not close minded. Why? Because if their idea of gender is close minded, so is yours. It's a never ending display of people not accepting others for who they are...you included.

It seems to me (and apparently everyone in the world that don't pretend to care about people) that all of you are far too close minded to see past your own view and see what is good for everyone.

closeminded = calling people troll when you don't agree with them. You get a gold star.

You do more attacking than thinking. Typical.

2. wolfi

wolfi New Member

i'm not Call you a toll here in any way or what not but in a way he is right

We are closed minded, we belive its better to think man can be nurses and just as good as a women as a women can be a worker like a man can
    And we refuse to belive the other way

And you know what? For once maybe i dont mind being closed minded then

3. J_Jammer

J_Jammer Banned

Oh, men and women are exactly the same?

Sure.

4. arron89

arron89 Banned

I seriously don't think you even know what you're saying anymore...you are arguing in favour of socially constructed gender identity, the idea that boys should play with trucks and girls should play with dolls. I think that approach is close-minded. My view of gender is less fixed, more concerned with personal choice and expression. In other posts, that seemed to be an idea you agreed with. Now you're arguing against it. I think you're arguing just for the sake of arguing now...

5. J_Jammer

J_Jammer Banned

I'm arguing that if you state that as close minded, then you're arguing that you're close minded.

Your view is no different than that view. It's a view. It's also confining.

Your view is FIXED just as much, if not more so. You can't stand that boys play with guns OMG they can't do that...they should also play with dolls. Not they might want to choose it...YOU WANT them to play with dolls because it's okay, not if they want to do it.

Because if they play with guns OHNOSE they be a cliche...can't have that.

Those who claim to be open minded (as you do) are almost always the most close minded. It's proven in all of the answers in this thread. People claim they don't want to confine or box people, but that's exactly what they're doing with every opinion they spout.

6. Kio

Kio New Member

Bullying? In what way did I bully you? I'm just giving you reasonable advice. If you feel that we're all "close-minded" feel free to leave. No one is forcing you to stay here.

7. J_Jammer

J_Jammer Banned

No one is forcing you to attack me for not agreeing with you and yet...you still do it.

8. Kio

Kio New Member

I'm not attacking you. What makes you think that? I'm suggesting you leave if you really think we're all being close-minded. A suggestion is not an attack.

9. J_Jammer

J_Jammer Banned

You're not suggesting. You're wanting.

10. Kio

Kio New Member

Okay, so I'm wanting. However, due to my wanting, I am suggesting that you leave. I really don't see how my wanting is synonymous with attacking.

11. arron89

arron89 Banned

Where have I ever said I don't want them to? I said in the very post you quoted that it was about personal expression; most boys do want to express themselves by playing with guns and things, and that's fine. What I think is wrong is forcing children to inhabit gender expectations that society defines for them. It's all about individual choice and expression. You can misrepresent it all you want, it only proves how close-minded you really are.

12. J_Jammer

J_Jammer Banned

That's as innocently suggestive as this question, "Are you stupid?"

That can be said to be just a question. But the person asking that is suggesting the person their asking is stupid but with a question mark. It's an attack.

And the fact that you can't just let it go and say no and move--proves you know it's an attack.

You would rather focus on me than the topic. I'm use to people like you. You all blur together and fit in the exact same box.

13. J_Jammer

J_Jammer Banned

No one forces boys to do that. Are you using your personal experience? Or are you using the few to spread it around and suggest it's how everyone is treated?

Oh are you one of those weird people that think you should raise a child with a gender neutral name in hopes the child will grow up with the insane serenity ideal thoughts their parents want to beat them into thinking?

Because there are parents that already did that and that child...HATES that their parents did that to her. HATES....her choice of feeling, my choice of caps.

You couldn't prove closeminded of anyone but yourself, because you shut out anyone's opinion that doesn't align with yours. Prove by how you respond to me.

14. arron89

arron89 Banned

I'm not using personal experience, I'm using the degree I have in the subject. But wait, universities are just liberal brainwashing machines, right? I give up. You can stay stuck in your prejudiced, out-dated, ill-informed ways, and when you're ready to join us in the 21st century, I'll be waiting with open arms.

15. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

I'll pass on the "more open-minded than thou" discussion...

Having raised a son and a daughter (both now in their 20s), I have to say that there is nothing wrong with starting out with some traditional gender norms. Children need a starting point, a point of reference, and they react best (IMO) when that starting point is one which will garner widespread acceptance, because social acceptance is something we humanoids tend to strive for.

As individuals, though, we vary in the degree to which we seek to be part of the norm or to vary from it, and each child will display such tendencies at various points in their lives. The key to parenting in this regard is not to be gender-neutral (which I would think would be confusing in the extreme to the child), but rather to accept variances from gender norms if and when they become apparent.

I've thought for some time now that there is something of a continuum from traditional masculinity to traditional femininity, and very few people, as adults, fall at either extreme. I'm fond of pointing out to my wife that she has some traits that definitely tend toward the masculine, while I have some that tend toward the feminine. She is usually uncomfortable discussing the traits in question in those terms, but she understands that we each value those traits in the other.

16. J_Jammer

J_Jammer Banned

I'm stuck in reality.

You're stuck in a fabrication of reality created for people to feel that gender roles are terrible. Ohnose.

That's like saying a construction worker would make a great doctor just because they know how to use a saw.

17. Kio

Kio New Member

What you are referring to, right there, is a rhetorical question, where no serious answer is expected. I never asked you a rhetorical question. I gave you a serious suggestion.

"People like you?" It's funny how you can claim that I am attacking you when you feel it's right to say things like "people like you blur together and fit in the same box", as if that's not an attack itself. Be careful, I think your hypocrite is showing.

18. J_Jammer

J_Jammer Banned

A command hidden as a suggestion. Same difference.

I never claimed to not attack. Only you did.

19. Kio

Kio New Member

It's not the same difference. I wasn't commanding you, I was suggesting you leave if you believe that the people here are close-minded.

Okay, so what's the point of saying that I'm "attacking" you when you clearly just attacked me and shrug it off? That's a hypocritical move.

20. J_Jammer

J_Jammer Banned

It is the same difference. If you're suggesting something, you do so privately. When you want to command people and want to sound like you're not...you do what you did...publicly.

Because everyone's being a victim here. Why not be one too?

21. Kio

Kio New Member

A suggestion can be public, too, you know. It doesn't have to be private. At this point, I'm really beginning to think that you are not even trying to make sense anymore.

Who's acting the victim? Surely not me up until the point where you blatantly insulted me. The only one acting the victim is you.

But we are getting off topic, so I should log out of this mind-numbing discussion for now and attack/command you some more later, if I feel like it.

22. J_Jammer

J_Jammer Banned

If a suggestion is meant to help and not insult it is in private. Public is to ridicule. Why else suggest in public? Especially if the suggestion is to belittle, cause there's no way your suggestion was uplifiting.

Complaining how women are being treated as if they are the only people mistreated in the world. Showing off how awesome one is for fighting for equal rights for a group (showing they are part of the victim group)---who in fact are not fighting for humanity as a whole.

You feel like it because you like lording over people. You'll be back. It's your crack.

23. EdFromNY

I see a closed thread in our future.

24. J_Jammer

J_Jammer Banned

If you can't deal with uncomfortable and different, then you're not so openminded.

25. EdFromNY

Actually, from what I can see in this thread, the most closeminded person here is the one screaming the loudest about other people's closemindedness - you. Of course, you'll say that proves how closeminded I am. :rolleyes:

As for the topic of gender roles, I already posted what I had to say. Since it is the product of my experience in 27 years of parenting, I'll stick with it. Others are free to disagree.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.