1. Writt

Writt New Member

Short Story Idea for short stories

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Writt, Mar 10, 2010.

I had an idea for a collection of short stories based on my recent hitch-hiking journeys to explore the significance of the experiences on my life. I'd quite like to hear some thoughts and suggestions as to whether this is a good idea and how I could go about it.

2. Manic056

Manic056 New Member

Hitch hiking journeys can be good. Make the most by exploring the experiances that are un-natural in what you would expect from a hitch hiking adventure whilst keeping a good narrative of the expected goodness you experianced throughout.

Oh man, have I got a great hitch hiking story for you if you want me to PM it. Too insane for this thread I think.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

how you could go about it is to just sit down and start writing!... ;-)

however, you need to know that there's virtually no market for a collection of short stories by an unknown new writer... in the us, that is... may be a different story in the uk...

in the us, you first need to make a name for yourself by having your stories published individually, in reputable magazines and/or literary journals... once you're established as a good short story writer, then a publisher may be willing to take a chance on a collection...

but why would you want to write your experiences as fiction?... why not just write an account of your travels as a memoir, or collection of personal anecdotes?... there is a market for books of that ilk, though to succeed in that form, the writing must be exceptional and the 'adventures' different and/or exciting enough that total strangers will plunk down good money for the privilege of reading about them...

4. Writt

Writt New Member

Thanks guys, I think I will just begin writing and see what it develops into. It's more of just an interest thing and side-project. But great to hear what other people think first.

Oh and Manic, definitely want to hear this!

5. Green Tea

Green Tea Banned

Or, why not unplug your computer this very minute, call into work and tell them you quit, put your possessions into storage (including the laptop!) and hit the road with nothing more than bare survival gear and a few pens and notebooks.

If you've got a passport, great! Go somewhere intriguing. If not, travel around your own country, and talk to people. When you feel you've had enough, go home and start writing it up. Fiction or non-fiction, the personal experience will be what makes an interesting book to read.