1. aimi_aiko

aimi_aiko New Member

New to Screenplay Writing

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by aimi_aiko, Jun 20, 2011.

I hadn't found a thread on here that was already covering this topic, so I decided to go ahead and start my own.

Last night, I decided to start doing something new that I have not done before. I want to get away from writing short stories, novels, etc. for a while and I began to be fascinated with the way movies are written and decided to try writing a screenplay.

I did my own little research of the basics of writing a screenplay and what the format looks like and it seems very fun and quite challenging (to my type of skill) to do. I began working on the ideas and information about my screenplay, but I have yet to actually start it.

What I would like to know is how many of you have done this before? How challenging is it compared to regular short story/novel writing? Is it anywhere similar to writing a play (which I've messed around with before in the past)? And what steps and techniques may I possibly need to follow in order to write a successful screenplay?

Note: This screenplay is only for fun to see if I'm any good at it. I do not plan on publishing this screenplay, nor using it for anything else. I just wish to write a successful one and keep it in my portfolio.

Thanks in advance.
    aimi_aiko

2. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

I don't write Screenplay's, but there is this thread in the writing workshop. Is this what you're looking for?

3. aimi_aiko

aimi_aiko New Member

The link you provided (the information given) is very similar to what I've already read about during my researching process last night. Indeed, I may need to seek a little more deeper into my research and find every thing I'm looking for, but I also would love to know other's opinions and experiences as well.

Thanks for the help Trish, it's greatly appreciated. I will be sure to reasearch a lot more in order to find what I need.

4. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

You're welcome, sorry I can't help more. I would be in the same predicament as you if I decided to write one :)

5. Ryan.Sh6w

Ryan.Sh6w New Member

I've actually been on a similar screenwriting kick lately and have a couple recommendations.

There was a book I was reading called "Writing Movies" by the Gotham Writing Workshop that I can objectively say was quite good. I've also gotten in to the habit of reading the screenplays of my favorite movies (in different genres) which is not only informative but fascinating.

For example, one the earlier drafts for Saving Private Ryan from 1994 is absolutely abysmal, rife with cliches, and would have made for a pretty underwhelming war flick. Watching the draft process over the next four rewrites really teaches you a lot about what to do and what not to do. So if you can find a film that went through that process (almost all of them) it should help.

Other than that I've found my time in screenwriting much easier than a novel, it's a great stepping stone for new writers because you only focus on light description and visuals as opposed to complex metaphors.

So that's my advice, if you can check out that book and look for draft changes in your favorite movies.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i've written screenplays and i mentor many aspiring screenwriters...

i don't know what your idea of 'challenging' is... if you mean is it any harder, then that depends on each person's level of talent, skills, ability to learn, and so on... i personally love the medium as a writer, as well as a dedicated movie lover for many decades...

similar only in that it has a very different structure compared to prose... the format of a film or tv script is rigidly standardized, while stage play scripts come in many variations, though there are some similarities, such as the separation of action/direction and dialog...

too many to list here... if you email me, i'll be glad to send you some screenwriting basics provided by pros in the business...

love and hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmail.com