1. jo spumoni

jo spumoni Active Member

La Jolla, CA (and Mission Viejo, CA, during the su

Submitting the full manuscript?

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by jo spumoni, Oct 8, 2010.

I've been looking for publishers for a 28,000-word novella that doesn't really fit a genre. Needless to say there aren't many. But I've come across one that looks OK, except that for the submission process, they want me to send a query letter as well as the entire manuscript. I am positive that they're not vanity press and they do not have a poor mark on Predators and Editors, but that requirement makes me a little hesitant. What do you all think?

2. erik martin

erik martin Active Member

Proceed cautiously. Its my understanding that requests for the full manuscript right up front generally mean vanity press--but I take you at your word that they aren't. If not, I assume that they are a small press that will consider novella length works. I'm sure other here can offer more, I have yet to send a query directly to a publisher and the agents that I have been querying generally don't want more than 50 pages, usually none, just a letter.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

what makes you so positive?... are they listed with a 'recommended' or at least no warning on p/e?... not being listed does not mean they're ok, as dave can only list what he gets info on from his readership... and they may just not have been reported yet...

first of all, being open to a novella ms is suspect in itself, since legit publisher simply do not put out books that short unless it's for the younger YA market...

then their asking for the entire ms with a query is a giant red flag lit up in neon... you should be more than hesitant, imo... what's the name of this company?

4. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Just because it doesn't have "VANITY PRESS" written in huge neon letters on its side doesn't mean it's not vanity press. Also, just because it's technically not vanity press doesn't mean it's legit. There are places out there like Publish America, for example.

On the other hand, maybe because novellas are shorter they think it's easier for them to just judge based on the whole manuscript.

This could go either way. Do more research.

5. jo spumoni

jo spumoni Active Member

Mamammaia,
    First off, "positive" is not a word I would use to describe myself. I've never published anything in my life, and I've unfortunately written something very difficult to sell. I know this company is not vanity press, and they are not unrecommended on P&E. They're called Drollerie Press and they do publish stuff for the YA market, but that's appropriate for my novella. Yes, you're right, the fact that they publish novellas seems off. The thing is, if I want my novella published, I kind of have to consider companies that accept novellas. I'd like to give publishing a shot because I know if I don't, I'll regret it later. But, of course, I really don't want my book to be stolen or something horrible like that.

Mallory,
    I'm aware that "Vanity Press" doesn't necessarily advertise as such. I'm sure that this company isn't vanity press, however. I found them through duotrope.com, and all the research I've done shows that they are not vanity press. I know that doesn't necessarily mean they're legit. I haven't thus far found anything that says they aren't, but you're definitely right, I need to research more.

Thanks to both of you, and erik.

6. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

I just saw my post again and realized it might have sounded harsh when I didn't intend it to -- if so, then sorry.

But yeah, it wouldn't say "vanity press" per sae, but if it says something like "tired of rejection? we'll help your book see the bookstore" or something, watch out.

Good luck! :)

7. mammamaia

i just checked out their site and they seem legit enough... proof one way or the other will be in the contract's fine print, if they accept your ms...

8. jo spumoni

jo spumoni Active Member

Mallory,
    You weren't overly-harsh. I'm just starting to get a little bit jaded with the process. First it's hard to tell who's vanity press and who's not, then once I find a place that might actually publish my book, they turn out to be horribly disreputable, and then I finally find this publisher that seems OK except they want the whole manuscript. Truth be told, I don't really know what I'm doing, and it's proving harder to navigate the process than I thought. However, I am sure that Drollerie Press is not vanity press.

Mamammaia,
    Thanks for checking out the site for me. It helps that others think it looks legit, too, because I'm so new to this publishing business.

I happen to be somewhat lucky in the contract department because both my parents are lawyers and my brother is studying to be a lawyer, so they can help me navigate that stuff. None of us have been published of course, so that may be a slight pitfall, but at least they'll understand what's being said. I'm more worried that they'll steal my work or something, but that might be overly-cautious. After all, if I can't sell it, why would they be able to sell it? :)

9. makdadsb

makdadsb New Member

I have done my homework too and there seem to be quite a few places that ask for the full manuscript. I don't think that would raise any red flags for me - maybe just a yellow one. I'd be worried if they gave you a guarantee of publication, or if they just plain required money. Just google the name of the company (I did this before sending my manuscript off), and if anyone had a bad experience, you'll find it. Just try googling P.A.

10. mammamaia

worrying about a publisher/agent/anyone stealing you ms is a waste of time and energy... why would they risk being sued and/or going to prison when there's no way to not get caught doing such a thing, since the theft certainly couldn't be hidden, if the stolen book gets published?

11. jo spumoni

jo spumoni Active Member

Yeah, you're right. OK, I feel better now. Thanks, everyone.