Tags:
  1. Everend

Everend New Member

Screenwriting The Right Format

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Everend, Apr 13, 2018.

Hello pals. I am now re-writing my short story into a scrip format. I watched many tuts on youtube, still can not figure out how to deal with this issue.

I do not have spoken words in my dialogs. Characters mostly talk to each other with their facial expressions (it's animated feature). As to a sound it's mostly gibberish mumbels that fades to ambient music. I've been taught that it's better to avoid many of Directive Parentheticals. At the same time I have my characters ''talk'' to each other in such a manner for quiete some time. Therefore usual Writing Action feels overwhelming.

I would apreciate any advice, tip or example on how it can be done.
    p.s I am not a profesional writer.

2. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

I'm not sure we have any active screenwriters, unfortunately. Have you tried looking for similar screenplays online to see how those are done? Or looked for the standard style guide for screenwriters? A professional association for screenwriters would be a good place to start.

3. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

This is a really specialized question - not sure there's going to be a definitive answer.

Can you think of other filmed things that don't have dialogue, and then search for their scripts? I thought of Pingu, and found an article at https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2016/jan/11/how-we-made-pingu-childrens-tv-animation saying that the original scripts were written with English dialogue, and then it was translated into Penguinese nonsense at the filming stage. Might be an idea?

Everend and DeeDee like this.
  4. Everend

Everend New Member

Thanks for the advice. Indeed I think that Tom & Jerry would suit :) I'll look up