1. Raven

Raven Banned

Suicide attack on Iraqi holy city

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Raven, Apr 14, 2007.

At least 36 people have been killed and more than 160 hurt in a suicide car bomb attack in Iraq's holy city of Karbala

The attacker detonated explosives at a crowded bus station in the city close to a shrine holy to Shia Muslims, at around 0915 local time (0515 GMT).

Many of the casualties were said to be women or children.

Meanwhile in Baghdad at least 10 people died in a truck bomb attack on a key bridge in the south of the city.

The driver of the pick-up detonated his bomb near a checkpoint on the Jadariya bridge, across the River Tigris. The bridge appears to have been left intact.

This follows a truck bomb which partially destroyed the Sarafiya bridge in northern Baghdad on Thursday, killing eight people.

The attacks come as a US-led security operation enters its third month.

The surge has brought down the rate of sectarian murders in the capital but has failed to stop bomb attacks.

Correspondents say the latest attacks suggest a change in tactics by insurgents, who are targeting infrastructure in an attempt to undermine confidence in the crackdown.

~Thoughts

2. Ferret

Ferret New Member

The parts of your soul you refuse to recognize.
    /Makes pro-war statement & leaves/
    Crazy is as crazy does.
    /Makes pro-war statement & leaves/

3. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    The Surge may not have stopped the bombings, but it has really slowed them down. Before we'd have at least one large scale bombing a day in some part of Iraq. Now its one about one a week.
    The reason the bombers are targeting infrastructure is it has a better chance of success. The Iraqi police force, military and US troops are keeping a much better lookout in all the major markets and buildings. So a lot more suicide bombers are captured before they can detonate themselves. The bridges and less notable infrastructure isn't as well protected.

The Surge is still building up, it will reach its peak in mid summer. That will be the real test, and so far the US and Iraqi government have the momentum.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

thoughts?

homo sapiens is the only species that kills for fun and religion... i'd rather be an amoeba, thank you!

5. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Weasels, foxes, cats, coyotes, killer whales, dolphins, and some primates also kill for no apparent reason.

6. Ferret

Ferret New Member

The parts of your soul you refuse to recognize.
    Minks and barracudas too for sure.

7. Frost

Frost Active Member

Still want to be an amoeba? Chances are some kind of feral animal is going to hunt you down anyway.

I dont care about the war any more, ive lost interest.

8. mammamaia

key word is 'apparent'...

and yes, i would... don't care about being killed, only about 'killing'...

9. Raven

Raven Banned

Sometimes Killing those that are evil is the only way or more of the innocent will die.

~Raven

10. Frost

Frost Active Member

True that.

The world isn't black and white, and it's naive(sp?) to believe that it is.

11. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Maybe the POWERS THAT BE (I'm not going into religion so that will have to do..) should just wipe this planet clean. Start over but this time, have some input!

12. Alice in Wonderland

Alice in Wonderland New Member

Sometimes I'm glad I have no television... I reckon I'd get fed up with the amount of propaganda and such. Atleast on the internet I can chose to ignore it. xD

I'm not saying I'm ignorant to the fact that there is a war going on... It's just been so drawn out and isn't getting anywhere...

The terrorists last resort is always bombing something. D= It causes so much panic and such because they are hard to find and defuse before they are detonated... They get power by having the threat of an unexpected attack whenever they damn well please...

13. mammamaia

sorry, but it's naive and self-deluding to think it's not...

14. mammamaia

...i'd push the button, if it was available... but, in starting over, i'd sure be careful about what 'input' should be heeded...

15. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Starting the world over again........that wouldn't work at all.
    The only way you could do it and have it in any way slightly successful is to take away free will......and what is the point to life without it!!!

People can not agree with each other and like the same things as each other and the whole time this is happening there will be war, there will be murders, yadda yadda.

The only way to stop it all is for people to accept that we are all uniquely different and get over it and sadly that is NEVER gonna happen!!!!!!

We can't livein a world where there is no hate, anger, death, famine and disease and that is all there is to it. The whole time the world has these things there is going to be reocurrences of these incidents all the time.

I wouldn't push the button at all, I wouldn't want to be responsible for all of it eventually happening all over again.

This is the world we live in and we should just be happy that we have it, at least with every bad thing that happens something good happens as well.

16. Raven

Raven Banned

This is something I wrote sometime ago when i came back from Iraq.

There is a lot of evil men and women and children out there that do things so bad the only way to stop them is to kill them. And thats the sad thing about life.

To stop those that wish to do harm and murder in the masses the only way is to Kill them before they kill us.

War is horrid no hiding that fact but terror is far worse because its not just soldiers that get hurt its the children that get hurt and they are our future. Without them we have no future.

17. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Good poem.

18. Night Haunter

Night Haunter Banned

very good poem potrays the message here clearly.