1. Georgie S.

Georgie S. Member

(Georgie's) WIProgress Journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Georgie S., Nov 30, 2017.

Heyo! So I'm starting a progress journal so that (hopefully) I am motivated enough to not abandon what I'm working on after a few weeks like I usually do. Anyway, here's today.

Word Count: 9,142

Right now I'm working on how each of the characters connects to Asher, and right now I have Madison (which I have already started incorporating into the text) and Harper done. Hoping to finish chapter 3 before the week is over –if I have the time– since I already have about 4.5 pages of it. Overall I'm at 18 pages (really 17.5)

I've been drawing Delphi a lot in my notebooks in different styles because I'm trying to figure out what kind of vibe I want for her. Hoping to settle on a completed look for her by the time I actually introduce her "in depth" (or at least as in depth as I can go without giving away the ending) in maybe a chapter or two. I've also been taking to work on it during my boring classes (because I'm sneaky and can use my laptop in many of my classes), but it does mean that I don't get a chance to work on it in large chunks. I haven't gotten a chance recently to just buckle down and "cram sesh" write for an extended period of time on account of the fact that I have 6 hours of classes and a crap ton of stuff after school, but I have made considerable progress since I started 5 weeks ago.

Okey doke, well, that's the day today. Au revoir!

2. Georgie S.

Georgie S. Member

Happy "Finally Socially Acceptable To Listen to Christmas Music Day!"

Word Count: 9,262

Unfortunately, I didn't get to work on a lot of the story yesterday, but I did suddenly have an idea for a title yesterday while in dance (weird, I know. And yes, I take dance classes), but it's a little corny so I don't know if I'll go with it. At least I wrote it down.
    Today, along with actually writing for once (I have a few hours to burn tonight so hopefully I can finish Beta's chapter), my main goal is to finish all the character backstories –mainly how they all relate to Asher (still... I made this too complex!).

What Else?
    - Changed Asher's ex-girlfriend from Harper to Faith (because Harper already has a thing with Calvin), and added that they ended on relatively good terms in order to avoid conflict between the two
    - Added in how Beta connects to Asher (but I don't love it, so I might change it later on)
    - Changed Beta's last name to the transliteration of "bystander" in Greek 'cause I thought it'd be a cool little foreshadow, and changed Faith's last name to Iscariot (hehe bible references) and made a conscious decision to base her off my friend Sophie (don't ask me why, I don't know)

Any Dilemmas?
    - How the group characters connect to Asher, and how DELPHI connects (she's the main problem)
    - Which characters get to be the narrator and which ones don't? (So far: Calvin, Madison, Beta. I can't do Asher because he's the red herring, and I think I need to choose one more, so Harper –the sister– or Faith –the ex-best friend?)

3. Georgie S.

Georgie S. Member

Word Count: 9,683

Okay, so you know how I said I was going to spend a few hours working last night? Well, I still had those few hours, but instead I watched a Starkid musical and half a season of The Office. So.... that's how productive I was yesterday. I got to a point where I was comfortable ending Beta's chapter, but then I realized the past two chapters were 6 and 7 pages and Beta's was just over 5. And I didn't write any more on Asher backstories. Tonight I have another chunk of time to work on it and I'm gonna try and not procrastinate or waste it watching Netflix –but if you're watching Parks and Recreation, is it really a waste of time?

Goals:
    - Get Beta's chapter to 6 or 7 pages
    - FINISH THE GODDAMN ASHER CONNECTIONS FFS JUST DO IT GEORGIE
    - Introduce Harper through Faith's chapter (I decided Faith will be the final narrator)
    - Ease Calvin back into "sanity" after his explosive reaction to Harper being on the list in a natural way that still fits his character
    - Strengthen the relationship between Madison and Asher
    - Start dropping "hints" about Asher to create the red herring

4. Georgie S.

Georgie S. Member

Word Count: 9,755

So I barely got anything done this weekend on account of the fact that a) I was busy as all heck, and b) I developed the biggest case of writer's block I've ever had in my life!!!! I don't know what's wrong with me! I am so stuck on this goddamn character connections, and because I still haven't finished them, I feel like I can't write anything (which I know is stupid but it's really difficult to write the stuff that I'm trying to write now without knowing the characters' backstories). If anyone has any ideas, help would be so so so so appreciated!! Let me know on the thread I posted here. I don't know how much I'll be able to write until I figure this out, but I can try. In the immortal words of Andy Dwyer: "Maybe if I hit my head against the ground... that's worked before."