Tags:
  1. The Piper

The Piper Contributor Contributor

German book title

Discussion in 'Research' started by The Piper, Mar 27, 2020.

Hi everyone!

Translation question. In my latest novel I'm including bits and pieces from letters, transcripts, etc etc. One I'd like to include is a few extracts from an old-timey German book, which I've titled (in English): The Beneath and Beyond: Hell and All Her Angels.

Translated (through Google, ashamedly) it becomes Das Unter und Jenseits: Holle und all ihre Engel. Through a reverse translation it looks like the word order is about right, but according to my sister the translation wouldn't be so literal. And heaven forbid I trust Google in the first place.

Any ideas?

Thanks everyone! Piper

ETA: would a translation for "Yellow Devil" be as simple as "Gelber Teufel"?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  2. Lemie

Lemie Contributor Contributor

Google translate only works when you need to know sort of, kind of what a text is about - but you don't have to worry about the quality of the translation. I used it alot when I wrote product texts and there were no Swedish or English information about the product.

When it comes to this sort of translation that you're working with its more or less useless, unless the countries have the exact same syntax and such. The words are most likely correct... But the sentence probably isn't.

So find yourself a German person and ask for help. I... can't come to think of any on here, but I'm sure there must be someone.

3. SethLoki

SethLoki Retired Autodidact Contributor

The Beneath and Beyond: Hell and All Her Angels

Die Unterwelt und das Jenseits: Hölle und ihre Engel

Lazaares, Lifeline and The Piper like this.
  4. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

More literally: Das Darunter und Darüber: Die Hölle und alle ihre Engel

Personally, I like @SethLoki 's translation better, but it's specific to a place. "Unterwelt" equals "Hölle", "Jenseits" equals "Beyond".

However, "beneath" and "beyond" in English are also adverb/preposition which evoke specific visceral reactions aside from the image and spiritual beliefs that accompany hell and the afterworld. If you limit the translation to hell and the afterworld, you miss out on these additional reactions.

So I guess I am more happy with my own translation after all. Sorry, @SethLoki ;)

Yes, this is correct.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
    Catrin Lewis, SethLoki and The Piper like this.
  5. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023 Community Volunteer

Oooh, I like the parallelism!

Lifeline likes this.