Get fit thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LordKyleOfEarth, Apr 2, 2010.

1. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

Hahaha, good to know that. I just stepped my protein intake waaay up with whey. I'll keep an eye on my BM regularity and adjust as needed.

Do you do any dead lifts? I have found that to be a killer on my forearms. Good for back/legs too.

I weighed myself today; I have lost 5 lbs in the 2 weeks I have been at the gym. I expected this, as I took forever to gain any weight (albeit soft fattie weight) while being inactive and eating lots of crap calories. I also set a new max weight on my barbell benchpress 5x5 :)

2. MCWhite

MCWhite New Member

I was thinking today that I'm probably in the best shape I've ever been in.

<5% body fat, actually have some muscle for once, but can still run a mile in 5 minutes. This makes me happy. Still a lot of training to do, though, for all the upcoming races here in Austin.

3. LordKyleOfEarth

Great job MCWhite! I hope will be at 5% one day soonish too.

How long have you been training to reach your goal?

4. MCWhite

MCWhite New Member

Well, I've always been a runner, but I started the whole strength-training thing about two months back. The results have been excellent, and I feel great. I'm a more powerful runner now.
    I was actually faster a couple years back, but I was doing two-a-days back then and can't sustain that kind of effort nowadays. I'm coming off stress fractures in both legs (acquired while marathon training) that have stalled me for nearly a year and am just happy to be running again. I'm hoping I'll be competitive again in a few months, though I'm just looking at 5Ks for now. A marathon I'm not ready for and may not be for years.

5. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

They were flip flops.. do I need to pick different shoes?

6. LordKyleOfEarth

as long as there is noticeable wear on the soles in the picture. Actual shoes would be better, but I can work with flip-flops. FWIW they are a terrible choice of footwear 95% of the time.

7. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

I would go barefoot if I could. Flipflops are the next best thing. I will take the picture sometime soon. hahaha.

8. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

I discovered boxing last week. Best cardio work out ever. Although if I don't stretch correctly I'm incredibly sore the next day.

9. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Look into buying a pure whey isolate. You can buy it in bulk price/form on the web. Check eBay. The good thing about pure isolate is that you can add it to pretty much anything. Spaghetti sauce is a favorite "vehicle" I use. It has almost no flavor and no fillers like the whey products you find at Vitamin World or GMC that are intended to make into protein shakes. The body is only going to be able to take in so much during a round of digestion, so the more you can spread out your consumption, the more able the body is to actually make use of it instead of just eliminating it. 40-ish grams within a three hour period is about max for most people. More than that is literally down the drain.

Are you sure about that?

Less than 5% body fat is really, really, really, low. :(

When you go under 5% (for guys) you start to compromise essential body fat. The body uses fat for many things and when essential body fat is compromised, crucial core systems begin to not function.

10. MCWhite

MCWhite New Member

Yup, I'm sure. We've got an electronic machine here that measures it (it's fairly accurate). I know it's low, but it's on par with your typical serious runner. Lowering your body fat % is one of the best ways of lowering your overall times and raising your VO2 max, provided you don't take it too far. I think I'm right where I need to be, weight-wise.

11. LordKyleOfEarth

Plus at <5% you looked Ripped-as-hell

12. MCWhite

MCWhite New Member

Lol, true that! Possibly the best benefit.

13. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

I finally went back to the gym today! During the whole moving process, I would do an odd workout every few days, but things were busy and cluttered, and it was difficult...ahhh, it felt good to go back. And I have to say, it's great having a gym at our apartment complex! Very, very convenient.

14. MCWhite

MCWhite New Member

I just finished my tempo run.
    I had not run in a week or two and was feeling fat and lazy so I went to the local track.
    Sadly, it turned into more of a time trial, a mock 5k. 20:41 with negative splits. A 7:15 mile, 6:52 mile, 6:35 mile. Baaaaaad. Only about two minutes slower than I'd like to be running that distance.

15. jonathan hernandez13

jonathan hernandez13 Contributor Contributor

^ are you part Cheetah?:eek:

I'd give me left...for that kind of run time. Then again I'm over 200 LBs:p

16. MCWhite

MCWhite New Member

I wish...

Nah, I'm just an obsessive runner. And currently a slow one. I want to be running three 5:45 minute miles, to break into 17 minutes for the 5k. This is what I used to run. Looks like I've been too optimistic coming off my injury and will have to settle for a more realistic goal time...

With a little training, anyone can run sub-7 minute miles.

17. jonathan hernandez13

jonathan hernandez13 Contributor Contributor

my friend, you were what we used to call in the service a rabbit:rolleyes:

Imagine a bear standing upright and jogging slowly through a park...that's me:(

18. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Shh, don't tell, because I'm not supposed to with my boot on, but....

I've been jumping on the trampoline. :p

Well, what was I supposed to do?? My mom put it up, and I LOVE THAT THING. So. Much. So I'm not letting a boot stop me! I jump when my parents aren't around, and I'm careful, so there's nothing bad happening to my foot.

19. LordKyleOfEarth

I think I pulled my hamstring. Hurts pretty bad behind my right knee :(

20. LordKyleOfEarth

Well, one month in and going strong.

Met with a personal trainer today, he liked my plan but wants to push me for more endurance versus outright strength (which makes sense for my goals). Monday I start the new plan :)

Currently:
    Body Fat:-----------------------13.7%
    Body Mass Index (BMI):-------23
    Max 5-rep squats:-------------205 (Actually feel I can go higher, but that is the most I have done) [started at 160]
    Max 5-rep deadlift:------------205 [started at 140]
    Max 5-rep BB Benchpress:----50 [started at 45]
    Max 5-rep BB Shoulderpress:-40 [started at 35]

My BB stats are taken at the ends of my workout, so I'm a little taxed. I feel I am limited mostly by stabilizers, so this coming month I will switch to using dumbbells and focus on weight.

The coming month is cardio heavy, so lookout heart, here I come.

21. mercy

mercy New Member

I am so happy to find this thread here on the writing forums of all places. When I was a teenager I used to run with my 65 year old neighbor. I had been overweight as a kid and found running very enjoyable. I ended up losing 35 pounds. I think the part that helped me the most was that I had a buddy and I never wanted to look lazy when I didn't show up for a run. I stopped running when I left home and all these years later I have become a total fat a$$ again. I am 28 and feel like 40. Does anyone want to buddy up with me? Maybe it will help.

22. LordKyleOfEarth

I am terribly behind on my cardio days. I would gladly eRunning buddy with you. Lets harass each other into keeping with our cadrio. MCWhite can be our running goal :)

(This is exactly the sort of thing I wanted this thread to accomplish)

23. mercy

mercy New Member

I used to be like McWhite as a kid....I was all about my runs...But I gotta tell you things are way out of hand. I am going to post this publicly so that I have to answer for it every time I come to the forums: I'm 5"7' and weighed in at 194 the other day. It's pretty evenly distributed but.... I can't carry it. My back hurts all the time. So my goal is to take off 50lbs. I will need a diet and running plan. When I was with my neighbor he would always tell me to run until I couldn't breathe well enough to keep going, then walk until I regained my breathe and run again... He told me that whatever I ran last try to run further on the next run, even if it's just 2 steps. I went from running a quarter of a mile to almost 7 miles in one year....That's the only advice I have ever had...What do you think? Could we set up workout days and check in that we exercised as planned and post weight etc. every week?

24. LordKyleOfEarth

Works for me. BF% may be a better measure than simple weight, as muscle is heavier than fat. My cardio days will be Tues/Thurs/Sat. At near 200lbs, do you want to do running or another cardio form (with less stress on your knees)? Burpees are killer, and build muscle too, although I don't know how much easier they will be on your knees.

25. mercy

mercy New Member

I could start with brisk walking until I lose the first 15lbs and build some muscle back up again. I don't have tools to measure my bf%. I could do cardio on sun, tue, and thurs and weights on mon & fri. What's your opinion?