Get fit thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LordKyleOfEarth, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Fivvle

Fivvle Member

I'm going to get back on my old diet. I'll probably lose about ten pounds by the end of next week :)

2. SocksFox

SocksFox Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

23,539 steps tonight on a walk with my dogs...:). Heart rate stayed under 120. :)

3. Em_Anders

Em_Anders Member

Not a post to document my personal fitness accomplishments as I am not on any trained, rigid, or outlined diet/exercise program, but is anyone doing or has done a 5k obstacle course for charity? I ran a 5 mile Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving day and am scheduled to run a 5k obstacle course this coming Saturday, and just wanted to know if there was anyone else in the forums that does or has done the same :)

The noteworthy detail of this upcoming 5k is that "Zombies" will be staged at random along side the course and "tag" runners as they go by. Any runner to finish with a certain number of "tags" gets a zombie t-shirt, and those who didn't, get a "survivor" t-shirt. Fun right? I'm excited! Which means I, too, will be a Zombie come Saturday afternoon :p

4. svartalfheim

svartalfheim Member

I so need to get back into shape. when I moved away I lost my weight, since having to move back home. I've put weight back on, ive gone from a uk 10 to a 14 =[

I'll never be a uk 8 like a really want, I do have enormous hips, and a rather big rib cage (curse you hourglass! Not even a small one I would have the larger version!) At current, and I know this is bad, I'm waiting until after christmas, as working in a bar, and training to be a nursery assistant I at the moment haven't got a lot of time to get to the gym as often as wanted. After christmas I'm thinking of cutting my hours at the bar (part time) so I have time after nursery to go to a gym.

I'd love to do pole dancing, definitely something I've been thinking of doing just finding a class close to where I live!

5. Michael Collins

Michael Collins Senior Member

I used to be a sports hating, couch slouch as a teenager. Now I'm a boxer and bodybuilder (I'm also a BB instructor, life's strange sometimes).
    I'm also a mountain biking enthusiast, so I like to get some dirt on the wheels whenever I can.

But I have to stuggle agains depression, often I spend my days just sitting, doing nothing.

6. Em_Anders

Em_Anders Member

I unintentionally found my husband's Christmas gift stash and saw the bicycle he bought me =) I can't wait to ride it! I haven't had my own bicycle since I was 14, and I miss the feeling of freedom riding gave me. Any tips, Michael Collins, for a 'beginner'?

7. Michael Collins

Michael Collins Senior Member

I really don't want to sound tedious with this, but safety comes always first. Always wear a helmet and gloves (sunglasses can be a good thing too, even of there's no sun). If you're into mountain biking avoid going out on the trail alone. Always carry your cell phone, some cash, and a simple first aid kit (mostly band aids and gauze wrap).
    You also might want to carry a spare tube, a bike pump and some essential tools (you can find a lot of videos on tube changing on the net).
    Wear comfortable clothes, if you don't want to wear bike shorts, buy some padding fo the seat.
    Last but not least, water, water, water. A simple dried fruit or cereal bar snack might come in handy as well.

I think it's enough fo now, I don't know if I'm forgetting something.
    The rest will come, I barely scaped the suface here, there's still a lot to learn for me as well.

The most important thing is, of course:
    Have fun!

8. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

I just wanted to stop in and give 'props' to everyone in this thread who's taken on the fitness lifestyle.

Personally I decided to get in shape last Janurary and I lost almost 40 pounds! Then, last July, I began lifting regularly and now I'm addicted to it. It's one of those good addictions. ;) It's impacted my life in such a positive way: more confidence, more energy, better health. I can honestly say that committing to this lifestyle is the best decision I've ever made, and I'd strongly encourage those of you who haven't to put down the computer and go to the gym!

If you're interested in making the change, there are two things you need to do - educate yourself and commit to change.Do this and I guarantee you'll have success.