1. JCKey618

JCKey618 Member

Place to submit Horror short stories?

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by JCKey618, Mar 13, 2009.

Hello all. I'm trying to expand (read: build) my resume. I write horror, mostly, and I'm trying to get my short stories published, in like a magazine or something. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

2. Viamence

Viamence New Member

I believe there's an annual book put out called Writer's Market. I haven't personally leafed through it yet, but I hear it's got great advice and recommendations for all genres and facets of writing. Like where or who to contact for a certain genre or style, that sort of thing.

Might be worth a look-see.

3. Aeroflot

Aeroflot New Member

Ralan.com has lots of horror and sci-fi magazines, among other genres.

4. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

You can try the markets page on my website: ervin-author.com Markets page

There you'll find markets from pro rate down to nonpaying. Also there's a link to another page on my website that lists about a dozen search sites, including Ralans and Duotrope, which would be your best bets.

Good luck!

Terry

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

best place to find publishing venues is the free website, www.duotrope.com

6. J.V. Amaral

J.V. Amaral New Member

I would suggest three things:

1) Writer's Market: I went through the entire publishing section of writer's market and found a few publishers (mostly magazines) that publish short horror stories. There's a limited market to begin with, and in addition, two of the five or six I found in writer's market are out of business as of last month.
    I still suggest getting writer's market though, and using it to find those publishers, then visiting their web sites for information on exactly the type of horror they are looking to publish, as well as their guidlines for submission.

2) Because Writer's Market comes out yearly, and so many changes happen throughout the year (i.e. some go under, other's pop up) I would definitely use google in addition to writer's market to get additional information.

3) By the book On Writing Horror by the Horror Writer's Association. There is a wealth of information on this book about publishing horror (and of course on writing it). Also visit their web site because they have links to publishers their as well.

Hope that helps...

Best,

JVA

7. Rabid Fox

Rabid Fox New Member

I'm inclined to agree. Some of the listings are outdated, with several out of business or closed to submissions, but a simple process of elimination can take care of that. Writer's Market 2009 had a few horror markets listed for short stories, but the greater resource comes from Duotrope and Ralan.

8. lnelson11

lnelson11 New Member

Get your hands on a copy of The Writer's Market for Novel and Short Story Writers. It's available online, at most book stores, and on the kindle. It is an indispensable tool when it comes to getting published. The book contains tips on writing as well as hundreds of publishers. It also specifies what each publisher is looking for and their guide lines to sending in a story along with tips from the publisher themselves. If you serious about becoming published and expanding your portfolio there is no where better to find a publisher. Oh and it also includes agencies as well. Hope this helped!

9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

update: duotrope is now charging a small fee...

10. u.v.ray

u.v.ray New Member

25 years ago it was a necessity to obtain lists of publishers or agencies. And although these lists provided some information, it was limited and you were always taking something of a pot-shot when submitting.

These days it is much easier. Most magazines now have an online platform where a much more informed interpretation of what they're looking for can be gained.

Personally, I have found trawling the internet looking for such magazines quite easy -- and much more useful. And many of the more groundbreaking, avant-garde platforms won't be found anywhere in mainstream lists.

Platforms like Death Throes Webzine. To name but one. Where, incidentally, I have some work appearing soon.
    :D

11. Kelson

Kelson New Member

Short Horror Submissions

Hello JCKey,

While all of the suggestions here are good I felt compelled to share mine as it does appear unconventional. My method also drastically shortened my research time. I found the top independently published horror writers that personally appeal to me (keep that in mind). I Googled them and noted what anthologies and ezines they have been published in. Now that sounds like a lot of work at first blush but, you know what? I found that nearly all had a web site and or social network page that listed all of their short stories published in anthologies and on web sites. Why does this work in a shorter period of time than other methods?

If you go searching you will find that many of these places all but demand that you purchase something in order to ascertain if what you have is what they are looking for. I did do this in some cases but in most I confidently went forward with submissions knowing that my stories were "a good fit." My best example of this is following the career of A.A. Garrison who I highly recommend. I have been read many times in the last 6 months or so. Have I sold any? No. But I have received lot's of positive feedback and I am only shopping 6 or so around. I also found that when I fanned some of these people they were very receptive and messaged me back, etc.

If you are curious as to whether or not you should be taking my advice or why I may not have sold anything yet you can search Kelson Hargis or Kelson's Challenge and my web site will come up. The stories, I am referencing are in the members area so you'll have to sign up but it is fast, free, and easy. Good luck in all of your endeavors.

~Kelson