1. Pulsaren

Pulsaren New Member

Do writers have a cat or a dog?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Pulsaren, Aug 21, 2014.

I am more fond of cats then dogs. Because cats feels more individualistic and truer to their original nature then dogs do, thats my opinion. Cats I think are more of a writters pet because they are easier to take care of and are more of a lonewolf as authors sometimes are.

So, if you have a pet, is it a cat or a dog? Or if something else, just write.
    And I dont want to start a dog vs cat thread.
    I have a cat.

And have a good day!

2. Annalise_Azevedo

Annalise_Azevedo Member

I've always been a dog person. The fact that they actually like me when they're not hungry is one of the reasons why I prefer dogs. Though I like how cats chase things that move under the blanket, it's a bit of a pain when they jump on you're face. (I had that experience, scared the crackers out of me and the cat never slept in my room at night again). I don't mind cats but there's something about them that makes me wary unlike dogs, it's probably because I've studied more in dog behaviour.

I have two dogs living with me, one's mine and the other's my sister's. They're both dogs that make my day no matter what.

3. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

2 dogs here

Cats are OK but keeping them indoors is too smelly and outdoors around here just feeds the coyotes.

4. SocksFox

SocksFox Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

I have both. Two dogs and one cat. All three are rescues, but the Rue Dog, pictured left, is my baby hands down.

5. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I grew up with both dogs and cats. I love both. Don't have any pets now, though.

6. sunsplash

sunsplash Bona fide beach bum

Between the Magic City & the Conch Republic
    I'm more of a dog person, we have 2 (a purebred husky and pitbull mix rescue), but have a cat also because my husband likes them. We had two cats but one never came home this April. I like all dogs but with cats it's a matter of personality. The one we have is very affectionate and easygoing, will let my kids hold her upside down as they run from room to room, will snuggle with the dogs, and has to be in the middle of everything. My mom's cat is the stereotypical moody puss, more independent than sociable, and sometimes just outright mean for no reason. I'm not a fan of that one.

7. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

My mom loves cats, so we've had cats ever since I was a baby. However, I don't have any pets now.

8. elynne

elynne Active Member

I just moved out of a situation where I was living with four cats and one small dog. I'd always thought of myself as being both a cat and a dog person--I grew up always having several dogs, and have always had at least one cat--but dealing with a dog for the last year has made me realize that no, I'm really just a cat person. the cats can be needy, underfoot, whiny, and demanding of attention, but it's nowhere near the constant clinginess of a dog. of course, it could have been just that dog's personality, but I've been assured that dogs are basically all like that. so--nope! I'll stick with the cats. (Spouse and I have 2 of them currently, and that's plenty!)

9. Feral Inferno

Feral Inferno Member

I have two cats and two dogs. To be honest, they tend to annoy me when I'm trying to work.

10. Keitsumah

Keitsumah The Dream-Walker Contributor

One cat that loves to curl up in my lap or on the seat next to me as i write. She hates everyone else though... so we only understand each other in a way.

11. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

There's a quote by someone I saw somewhere (real specific, I know) that said:

Soldiers have dogs, artists have cats.

12. criticalsexualmass

criticalsexualmass Active Member

four cats, three dogs, one ferret, and a hellhound on my trail.

elynne likes this.
  13. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

I had both for years. Right now I have none. I'd love to get a cat, but my husband really doesn't want one, especially since my precious baby scratched up and ruined our new couch many years ago. Dogs can be trained not to do something. Cats can only be trained not to do something in your presence.

We are on the verge of getting a new dog. But I have to say I really love the kitties and I often miss not having one. Except when I look at my unripped couches.

Annalise_Azevedo likes this.
  14. yagr

yagr Senior Member

Artists like cats; soldiers like dogs - Desmond Morris.

jazzabel and Selbbin like this.
  15. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Bingo. Thanks. :)

yagr likes this.
  16. FrodoKreuger

FrodoKreuger Member

Currently I live in a place that doesn't allow smoking or pets (or, by extension, smoking pets I assume) so I have neither. I would like a cat though. I am a cat person by nature. My late wife was a dog person. She frequently joked that had she known I was a cat person she'd never have married me. A bit too frequently really. I got a bit tired of it after a while and one time responded "Well there is a name for dog ladies." Don't say that to a woman. Ever.

Christopher Snape. and matwoolf like this.
  17. JamesBrown

JamesBrown Active Member

Cats, I have two. My pride and joy. I have a little garden and they are well trained in using other people's gardens as a toilet.

Aled James Taylor and jazzabel like this.
  18. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I've been a cat person for as long as I remember. I do not own any pets, however.

Christopher Snape. likes this.
  19. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

I need a dog for my patrols. Currently I have two old cats. With a dog I can go to places that are presently more restricted like the park or the beach. If I had a big dog the f***ing teenagers wouldn't bother me either. I could frighten a couple of them with my big dog and then I could run along the shore with all my other dogs, like a leader of dogs. Also there's the potential for journeys to the woods late at night which without a dog is logistically criminal. In America it's better because you can just go out with your gun. If I had a dog and a gun I would be invincible.

Foxe likes this.
  20. Mike Hill

Mike Hill Natural born citizen of republic of Finland.

I have mixed feelings about cats. I like them but at least round here they die a lot.
    Our family has a 3 year old dog. It is my first pet. Dog is great and I think we have been able to offer him a great life. That was my number one worry when we got him.
    i think dog helps me write because he brings always so much positive.

jazzabel likes this.
  21. cutecat22

cutecat22 The Strange One Contributor

I have a cat. Hubs likes dogs but I win hands down as it's always me that ends up caring/feeding/cleaning sick up after animals (and kids) so I get to choose.

He's an indoor cat (loooooong story) the short version is:

.. He was born as a street cat in Dubai.
    .. He was attacked by a snake (horrible scars) and taken in by some kind English person who was living over there.
    .. His person decided to come back to England and spent a lot of cash bringing him and another cat through quarantine.
    .. A year after moving here, the cat decided he didn't like other cats and went on the attack, putting a few of the neighbourhood cats in the vets!
    .. They didn't want to put him down so he went to a cat shelter, who knew I was looking for an indoor cat.
    .. A day after he arrived there, I went to see him and the day after that, I brought him home.

He loves cuddles, but on his terms and he is a scratcher (and biter of bare ankles) but when he does curl up with me, he will be there until I move him and then he screeches at me to hurry up and come back.

He also has the most amazing green eyes I've ever seen.

22. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

I currently have both a dog and a cat (both strays I took in). Over my life, I've had cats, dogs, birds, fish, lizards, mice (the white kind :)), and squirrels. Now I'm at the stage in my life when these two are gone (God willing it's a while in the future), I don't plan on having any more pets, period. But then, as I say, the two I've got now were rescued strays, so that plan will likely fail.

jazzabel and chicagoliz like this.
  23. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

I have a ginger tomcat and a red cattle dog at the moment. I like both, but I prefer dogs, which isn't to say I don't like cats. My experience is that cats are more (much more) clingy than dogs, also they are whiny about food, a bit autistic and can be quite disrespectful. I love my cat, I rescued him from a neglectful neighbour and I'd do anything for him, but I have more fun with my dog. Dogs need exercise and walking, but outside of that in my experience dogs are pretty chilled out and intelligent, certainly, you can get them to do what you say, which to me is easier to manage.

24. Keitsumah

Keitsumah The Dream-Walker Contributor

I've raised eight generations of cats (mostly outdoors but we let them inside) and never once had one "tear up" a couch. Even trained my baby to sit on my shoulder, and it comes in handy when you're doing housework. (even had people stop their cars once in a while and say they love our cats since they always wait by the road for us when the bus drops us off from school) *sigh...* problem is we can never get rid of them because of it. we love all of our babies. :p

25. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

I once heard a description of the points of view of a cat and of a dog, which I think is so true. It went something like this:

Dogs think, "Wow, you love me, you feed me, you take care of me and give me affection and fulfill all my needs. You must be a god!"

Cats think, "Wow, you love me, you feed me, you take care of me and give me affection and fulfill all my needs. I must be a god!"