Tags:
  1. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Amateur Human Contributor

Ghost Stories!

Discussion in 'Writing Prompts' started by J.T. Woody, Jan 17, 2020.

Mod Note: This thread is for sharing your experiences with what you believe to be the supernatural. It's not a place to show off your writing skills, nor to critique the what's been posted within. However, if you see something that catches your fancy, feel free to run with the idea in the appropriate venue.

On to the OP:

Recently, one of my writer friends on Facebook started posting about ghosts and witches and it reminded me of back in college during undergrad when I was haunted by a ghost (i did not believe in ghosts until that point!)
    So if you have ghost stories you'd like to share about your personal experiences with the "other realm" please do share
    (Mods, if this isn't allowed, I'm sorry and please delete!)

Here's mine:
    Sophomore year, around 1-2am, I'm staying up late working on an assignment at my desk by lamplight. I'm in a single room, so everything is compact. My desk doubles as a tall book shelf. I'm typing along and a book falls off of my shelf right onto my desk. Me, thinking nothing of it, puts it back onto the shelf (remember, I dont believe in the supernatural at this point). I'm typing along again. A few minutes later, another book falls off my shelf and onto my desk. I'm thinking, "maybe i'm typing too hard and shaking the desk" and "maybe I accidentally bumped the desk..." so I reshelve the book and continue working. The third time the book falls, I'm getting weirded out and stand up to look at the shelf. Nothing out of the ordinary, so i put the book back. I continue typing. Across the room... my tall mirror mounted on the wall with velcro, COMES OFF THE WALL AND SHATTERS! I freak out! I run over to it and (i'm still a non-believer) examine the wall. Maybe the wall was sweating and the adhesive that bound the velcro to the wall slipped. NOPE! the sticky part of the velcro was still stuck to the wall. The velcro part stuck to the back of the mirror was still there. So I stuck the velcro back on the wall and tested it by tugging on the mirror to try to see if it would come off again. I tugged so hard, i ripped the paint off the wall! So the mirror didn't just fall off the wall!
    By this point I was so freaked out, I ran out into the hallway, knocking on my neighbors door asking if we had an earth quake. she said she didn't feel anything and that when I knew.... some paranormal activity shit was happening in my room. I didn't go back in there! I had the nun down the hall come and bless my room!

THE END:supergrin:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2020
  2. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Benevolent Ochlocrat Staff Supporter Contributor

Hat on, as long as you're just posting for fun and shares and not for critique, I see no problem with it.

3. J.T. Woody

i mean, i guess I should change it from "ghost stories" to just "haunting experiences" or something like that. I'm not looking for "stories" per se, but just swopping paranormal happening with one another :)

conversation starter

4. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Benevolent Ochlocrat Staff Supporter Contributor

I'm just going to drop a note at the top of your OP so everybody knows what the rules are.

ETA: Or I could move it to Writing Prompts. That would be a legit place to swap stories which would let members run with them on their own if they wanted to. Sound okay to you?

J.T. Woody and Some Guy like this.
  5. J.T. Woody

Yep! Thanks!

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  6. TheOtherPromise

TheOtherPromise Member

I love ghost stories so let's see if we can infuse more life into this topic.

I've never had a clearly paranormal experience but I remember one story that my sister told me (she was the only witness so there is no proof that it's true). Not a very long story. Essential when entering her room one time, a doll flew across the room only to land several feet from the shelf it sat on.

When I was a teenager I did have a few episodes of hypnopompic hallucinations, which to the unaware soul would seem to be paranormal in nature. Luckily I had read stories about this phenomenon so I understood the scientific cause. Otherwise I would believe: a werewolf tried to break into my room, aliens had potentially abducted me and then injected me with anti-paralysis medicine as I woke up, my bed rocked violently a la The Exorcist, and that I was almost possessed by a demon while attending college.

J.T. Woody likes this.
  7. J.T. Woody

When my family and I moved into a new house when I was 9, my room had the name "Cynthia" painted on the door. We painted over it but you can still see the name on the door.
    Well, we also had a cat. Every night, he'd park himself in the threshold, facing out into the darkness, and just sit there. My older brother says he's protecting me from Cynthia and that if he's not there, Cynthia would get me. Naturally, I was scared, and from that point on, I started closing my door at night so "Cynthia" couldn't get in.

Moral of the story.... Older brothers suck!

8. Xoic

Xoic Member

Mine isn't ghost related, but you did say paranormal, so here it is:

I still remember it very clearly, though it happened decades ago when I was probably around 13 or so. I had gone to bed but was completely unable to sleep, and it being a perfect summer night with the window open and warm air streaming in carrying incredible scents, I finally rolled off the bed and kneeled in front of the window with my arms crossed on the sill looking out at the incredible night sky. Sighing wind, insects droning sleepily, the whole perfect summer night thing. The sky was black and the stars looked unusually bright.

And as I watched, suddenly one of them moved. Just a little bit. It slowly drifted to the side, just a short distance, and then stopped and again became a fixed star. I was utterly astonished. My breath was in deep gasps, I felt like I had just witnessed something miraculous. But look as I might, I could not determine which star had moved, they all looked exactly as stars are supposed to look.

But I kept staring out there, and after a while another one moved, and then another, and after a while about a dozen of them were wheeling around in the sky in something resembling a dance. I leaped to my feet in excitement and ran to my mom's room—she was still up. I realized if I told her what I had seen she wouldn't believe me, so I just grabbed her wrist and said something like "Come here, you've got to see what's happening outside!"

She did, and together we looked out. The show had stopped, but pretty soon it started up again—slowly like before, built up to the full crescendo, then subsided and all the stars froze in place again and apparently it was done.

This event stayed with me all my life. And in defense against the idea that I had dreamed it or imagined it, I had a witness.

Well, one day when I was an adult I mentioned it to her and she had no idea what I was talking about, but was intrigued. I thought she either had forgotten or it was so fantastical she had blocked it out, because she's not the kind of person who believes in 'silly stuff like that'. It was incredibly frustrating to me, because my validation of this amazing experience depended on her, and she just couldn't remember it! How does a person forget something like that??!!

And then the thing happened that explained it all. The blu-ray of Close Encounters came out. I loved that movie when I first saw it. I sat down in front of the flatscreen and lo and behold, the exact same spectacle played itself out before my eyes—even the buildup from a single slow-moving star all the way up to massive sky-dance, and the rapid winding-down to normal sky.

It was a scene from the movie.

In the interim I had learned a lot about dreams and sleep science, and suddenly realized the whole thing had been a sort of hypnopompic hallucination, a 'waking dream' experience, where you can swear you were awake (though it tends to happen in the bedroom or someplace where you came 'very near to falling asleep'). The imagery was so arresting it had captured my imagination and showed up in a very realistic false awakening.

Yowsa! Sounds like you had the full-on classic sleep paralysis experience.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    TheOtherPromise likes this.