2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. No

9 vote(s)
    81.8%
  1. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

Strange Little Question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Leaka, Jan 28, 2008.

All right well I'm going to be online only on Mondays from now on.
    Its because my parents blocked the .orgs from my computer.
    I'm now not allowed to go on .ocms, .nets, and .orgs.
    because they want me to only focus on my education.

What do you think?
    Do you think what my parents is right?
    What would you do?

2. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

I am not going to vote on this Leake as every parent is up to their own to judge what is appropraite. If it was me they had banned however, there would be hell on. I can have quite a temper which gets worse if I haven't been online for a few days. Are you struggling with school or something, as that might be a good reason to spend more time doing that then online.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Well, being a parent myself, I have to agree that education has to be the first priority. Still, I would hope that this site can be educational, as long as it doesn't monopolize your time.

Perhaps you could make a case to open selected sites during certain limited timeslots in the week, provided you are current with your schoolwork.

How are your grades right now? Do they have a reason to be concerned?

4. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

I have a little trouble in math. But I'm not struggling.
    But I get tried of doing work after work after work. I want a break and I can never get one.
    Mom and dad always coming in hope you're doing your homework.
    I get all As and I'm feel constricted just doing work. I like to do other things. Can't write, can't go onlie.
    The only thing I can do is work on my education.

5. Cogito

Well, writing is certainly a better activity for the mind than, say, MSN or online gaming. But even writing can get out of hand if it's not kept in balance with your formal education.

Parents don't always know best, but they do the best they can based on their own experiences.

Far be it from me to dispute their wisdom, especially not being in their shoes.

6. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

Yeah well I feel really constricted and limited.
    I always get good grades and I always work hard. I'm sixteen I'm starting to learn to drive. I need to be able to take care of my responsibilities myself. That means I have to put my education first without needing these restrictions.
    I need to be able to spread my wings of responsibility. I can't have mom and dad always telling where to go and what to do.
    I love learning and I love doing my work, but there is sense of to much and being pushed to far.
    Its gest frustrating and it makes me want to stop doing my work because its the only thing I'm doing.
    Its gets even more frustrating when they come home from work and watch television because I'm being forced to do my work.
    When I worked all day without taking a break.
    I went to school, I did my homework and I'm expected to do more.

7. Heather Louise

Talk to them about it Leaka, seriosly. If your parents are pushing you too hard it is not fair on you. My dad is like that. I mean, I bet the first thing he asks when he comes home from work and I tell him I got a B, is was it the highest in the class and what are you going to do better next time. He thinks he is just supporting me, I think it is pushing too hard. Talk to them

8. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

I try, but they are just as stubborn as I am.
    I got it from someone.
    They say my education is the most important thing. And all the other stuff is fluff.
    That my education is first and my first responsibility.
    they tell me that when I'm an adult I won't have time for online things and most people will forget me.

But I see them going on forums and stuff. Watching television and stuff.

They tell me they work all day and thats why they get to do it. So, I worked all day as well.

9. Heather Louise

I know how you feel darling, I really do. So you have three choices. Jst keep telling them about ho you disagree with what they are saying and see if it gets anywhere. Go along with it. Or really kick up a fuss about it all, being all rebelious and stuff

10. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

I'm a kiss up.
    I'm a really good student who can't be bad.
    I have never caused any trouble. I have never done anything.
    My work is on time.

i couldn't do that. I'd get a anxiety attack just doing it.

I normally lock what I feel about things inside. And never tell anyone how I feel. And place those feelings into my stories.

11. Heather Louise

yea, I think a lot of people do that darling, and it really doesn;t help. I do a similar thing, and instead of talking about my problems I get annoyed and shout at people who really didn't desrve it. They best thing to do is come clean and tell people how you are feeling. I know it is hard, it is like as soon as you have to talk about yourself you clam up, but push past it and see what happens (and tell me 'cos I aint tried it :p)

12. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

You sound like a good son, so I guess it must be getting on your nerves. So if your parents won't listen, write them a letter, or if not that, have another adult intervene. If not, vent out your feelings on pieces of paper once in a while and otherwise be patient. Your parents love you and you need to cope with them without being rude, because they are only doing what they think is best for you.

13. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

Yes but sometimes those good thinsg backfire against parents.
    I wish I could just tell them how I feel, but it feels like I'm making them upset. I'm generally shy when it comes to my feelings.
    Because I once caused my parents a lot of trouble I don't want to do that again. I'm shy and generally numb in the sense of leaving my emotions behind.

I don't want them to hate me or keep on telling me no.
    I try my best and I know I'm not the best in math. Embarrasingly I'm still in Alegrebra and I'm in tenth grade.

14. Cogito

Can you get extra help from the Math teachers?

Taking independent action to raise your grades in subjects you are struggling with could go a long way toward convincing your parents you are taking charge of your education, and can perhaps operate without a short leash.

15. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

Thats what I have been doing.
    My efforts are futile.
    I do everything to please them. look mom and dad I got help from a tutor and I can do this now.
    Look mom and dad I got 100 perecent on my math. I tried my hardest.
    Look mom and dad I'm trying my hardest today.
    I've don thirty objectives in one day.
    Look mom and dad look how much I'm trying.
    They won't listen they won't look.

16. lessa

lessa New Member

Leaka, I am going to tell you something you probably don't know.
    PARENTS ARE NOT PERFECT.
    now that shocker is out in the open think of ways you could approach your parents.
    Since you say you can't talk to them.
    Write out what you want to say to them.

You want more responsibility for your life.

You want to suffer the consequences of any mistakes you make.

You will talk over any major changes you are considering.

You will show them the sites you most visit on the computer.

They are free to ask any questions about the sites and you will answer honestly.

You will keep your marks up and continue doing very well in school.

Explain that since you are shy you do not make friends easily and talking with people
    on the internet sites is just your way of interacting with people.

BUT the most important thing to explain to them is that you love them and respect them
    and you will never change that.

Write this out and leave it by the remote for the TV since they watch at night when you are not there. That way they can discuss it in private and then come to you with their thoughts on what you have written.

17. potters_pimp

potters_pimp New Member

Well blocking .org's seems pretty silly as a lot of official sites for organsations are generally .org, and they always have information on diseases etc (not to mention wikipedia).
    I'm a good student too who gets generally good marks. I'm not the smartest in my class, but I am in the top class.
    I should also point out that writing helped me get 96% on my School Certificate (The big, official exam we do in Australia at the end of year 10 before going on to year 11 and 12

18. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

I'll try, but I'm scared.
    All that ever comes from their mouth is No.
    No matter the circumstance.
    But a lot of .orgs sights are very helpful.

19. lessa

lessa New Member

Leaka, while I was shopping I was thinking about you.
    Here is something else you could try.
    get a desk calendar or one with big spaces to write things.
    write out a schedule.
    7am get up
    4 am leave for school.
    3pm home
    330 pm start homework.
    5pm supper
    6pm help dishes and clean up kitchen
    7pm finish homework and any projects on the go.
    9pm computer time till bedtime.
    if they see what you do during the day and home time it could put your life into
    perspective for them.
    So put down everything you do during the day but also put an hour for you time.

20. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

as a parent of 7 [all way grown up before the net was born!], i think it was a silly way to keep you away from junk, since there's still plenty of it you can get to in the jillions of .coms that abound and there are many very good/educational .net/.org/etc. sites...

if it were me, i'd block all unwanted types of sites with the parental blocker and limit you to a certain number of hours per week... would also put the computer in a room where you can't hide what you're looking at...

though growing up before the internet, my kids were never allowed to have a tv in their rooms... even when i was married to a multi-millionaire and could afford them, the only tv in the house was in the family room... and no, there wasn't one in my bedroom, either...

21. lessa

lessa New Member

I agree with your way mama. Dom and his brother didn't have tv in their room until ray was 17 and bought his own.
    We had one computer and it was in the living room along with the tv.
    Books were in bedrooms but all else was where everyone could see what was going on.
    We were a very close family so we shared most things. Still do over the phone now.
    But I didn't limit the computer as long as it was for learning. Games were only played when work and studying were done.
    I think kids have too much me time and not enough family time now.
    But who am I to tell parents of younger children to go back to the way it was.
    I guess every generation has its problems.

22. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Leaka though I agree you should do as your parents say you should inform them that .org and .net sites probably arn't the best ones to block. I make my case:

1. no .org? Why. .org sites tend to be organizations with political or educational motives and they are excellent sources of information and places perfectly suited for research. .net sites tend to have similare purposes and sues but pull information from multiple organizations. This is of course based on the designation of .org and .net.
    2. No Wikipedia, the god of internet research.
    3. if they want you to focus they should block .com sites. It make sno sense to block the designations with educational purposes when the .com sites tend to be commercial money making things without educational value. Again, based on the designation. Alot of sites don't register under the proper area but still.

23. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

I agree with your parents- but only half agree if that makes sense. Education is good, but I think that restricting your access so much is perhaps a bit too strict... Maybe you can sit with your parents, do your homework adn then ask if you can go on the computer afterwards. I mean, I would probably tell my kids that iI had kids of course. Do your homework first, show me your homework and then in your free time, jump on the computer (probably have me checking the websites that havn't been banned already of course! :p) I hope you get through this because it sucks being a teen. But then again, I'm lucky cause there wasn't much homework when I was at high-school, compared with now. It's a lot to take on. Too much sometimes. Well, I wish you the best anyways! :D

24. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

Thats what I told, but they told me to tell them the .org sights I need.

25. Raven

Raven Banned

Strange thread.

However. I think the best advice you can recieve is from your parents after all they have your futures interest at heart. I myself am a farther and can relate to the decission.

We'll be here on Mondays Leaka. ;)