Tags:
  1. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

What's the easiest image-editing software?

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by minstrel, Jun 4, 2017.

Paint comes free with Windows, but it doesn't support combining images from different files.

I'm looking for a free, EASY TO USE (emphasis on easy to use - I don't want to have to spend a month learning this) image manipulation software that will let me combine images, plus do all the regular stuff like cropping resizing, playing with aspect ratios, etc. It should be able to read and write the standard file formats (jpg, gif, png, pdf, doc, etc.).

Can anybody help with this? I'm not an artist, so I don't normally use this kind of software, but I guess it's time to Expand My Mind.

pat jamerson likes this.
  2. Pinkymcfiddle

Pinkymcfiddle Banned

Hello Minstrel, I think I love you!

Having got that embarrassing truth off my chest, I would recommend Sketchbook, it has layers and many tools, and is simple to use. Here is a piece of art I created:-

EDIT: Oh photo manipulation, dunno about that, sorry.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
    pyroglyphian likes this.
  3. SethLoki

SethLoki Retired Autodidact Contributor

Gimp's free and well liked. I believe it rivals photoshop in terms of its features. Can't say whether it's easy to use or not. Maybe someone could chip in on that.

4. ShannonH

ShannonH Senior Member Contest Winner 2023

I'd second the Gimp recommendation. Free and very easy to use for anyone with limited image editing knowledge. (such as myself, lol)

5. Cobra3010

Cobra3010 Member

Gimp is fairly easy, but if you're willing to learn Lightroom, you won't be disappointed.

6. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Photoshop Elements is pretty easy to use too (mind you I've been using photoshop for twenty years so maybe i'm not the best judge)

7. Michael Pless

Michael Pless Senior Member

I disagree that GIMP is easy to use but it is very powerful and there are many YouTube tutorials (which are easy to follow) and add-ons (filters for special effects like sepia toning). If you're looking to combine images - that is use masks and layers and such to say place a subject in a different background, then GIMP is perhaps your best and cheapest choice.

PhotoScape is free and must be easy to use - my wife rarely bothers me with "how do you do this?" questions when she's using it. ;) It doesn't permit layers but it will do all the other basics you mentioned.

If you're intending to work on RAW files, then RawTherapee is excellent but if you're in Linux, Darktable is a seriously powerful application. By reputation it is a competitor to Lightroom, but I've only used DT.

8. pat jamerson

pat jamerson New Member

The best is what you prefer as to ease of use versus cost in order to achieve the editing that you need to do.

One size fits nobody.
    And your personal preferences as well as amount you are willing to spend are a big factor that will make other people choose differently.

9. archer88i

archer88i Banned Contributor

Paint.net is pretty badass. https://www.getpaint.net/

Very similar to Paint, but with layers and things, similar to all the fancier stuff.