1. MysticalOwl

MysticalOwl New Member

Glad To Be Here

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MysticalOwl, Jul 6, 2020.

Hello WritingForums,

I, like most people here, am an aspiring writer. I've played around with creative writing since I was young -- about 10 years old -- but have never gave it a real attempt. I, "started," my first novel (a young-adult urban fantasy) when I was 12, but only got a few thousand words in. Maybe I'll return to that story some day.

My primary interest is fantasy. Almost everything I've written -- aside from some short stories -- has been in the fantasy genre. The expansive worlds and magic systems enthrall me, and the creative freedom granted by fantasy keeps me motivated. I enjoy creating the worlds and cultures and governments and all the other things that one gets to create when writing fantasy.

My favorite author is Brandon Sanderson. His dedication to the craft -- and his ability to churn out books -- inspires me. He also teaches a creative writing class at BYU, and all his lectures are available for free online. I've learned a lot from these lectures, and that makes me like him even more. I've read his available books in The Stormlight Archive, and am currently reading his book The Alloy of Law which has been great.

I'm glad to be here at the WritingForums and hope to get to know you guys!

Sincerely,
    MysticalOwl

2. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

Great. Glad you're here. There are a lot of fantasy authors here, so you'll have a lot of company. Be sure to read The Rules, FAQ and Using the Workshop under Information above.

MysticalOwl likes this.
  3. Kyle Phoenix

Kyle Phoenix Active Member

Welcome to the forums mystical owl. I hope you have a nice time here. :)

MysticalOwl likes this.
  4. Steve Rivers

Steve Rivers Contributor Contributor

Ahh, a Sanderson fan. I am reading The Way of Kings, right now. I only found out about him after watching tons of those writing lectures on Youtube. Figured he gave me so many important creative writing tips that he deserved seven quid for the help, heh :)
    If I trip up in which book to read next, ill be sure to come bug you. I also love a good fantasy story, so ill be sure to check out your stuff when you post it!

Welcome to the forums, Owl!

MysticalOwl likes this.
  5. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

Welcome! I hope you like it here. It's a neat place.

MysticalOwl likes this.