1. Gladiolus83

Gladiolus83 Active Member

Gladiolus83 - My Progress Journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Gladiolus83, Feb 27, 2020.

So, I decided to start my own progress journal. Since this is a rewrite project, I have a foundation to stand on already. However, since my old way of writing has been found lacking – even by myself, I take this chance to try and get writing done right.

I guess I also should tell the name of my story…. Currently it doesn’t have one. It has been known as The Kami Series, Gudaserien (The God Series, in Swedish) or Gudahjärtat (The Heart Of A God, in Swedish – loosely translated).

My next course of action will be to take some time this weekend to find some templates to use, not only for this project but for every future story I do as well.

Will update on Sunday.

marshipan likes this.
  2. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Stubborn Finnsperger Contributor

Gudahjärtat är bättre. (The Heart of God is better.)

Welcome to Progress Journals, dear neighbour.

3. Gladiolus83

@Alan Aspie Well, I called it Gudaserien (God Series) since it actually is a series of multiple stories tied together by its recurring characters.

Alan Aspie likes this.
  4. Gladiolus83

I’ve checked some templates and after seeing how they mostly look (and a bit taking advice from members of this site) I’ve now decided not to use them, since I am working on a series that was already finished once. I have also decided on the name for this series: Sekaikrönikan (or The Chronicle Of Sekai), with Sekai being the name of the world. It might not be the most ingenious of names, simply meaning the world in Japanese, but it works for me. The individual installments of the series will be named as I work on them.

So, what’s next? Thinking back on my old way of writing and after reading through my story there are some things I need to think about and make decisions on before the actual editing of the script can start.

1: WORLD BUILDING. Yeah, a big no-no, I know that now. But when I wrote the story originally, I didn’t give a thought about geography, architecture, history, religion or stuff like that. But I have learned my lesson and intend to give these matters serious thought. I mean, just because the demons are united against the humans, they are not all the same and shouldn’t have the same culture and traditions.

2: MAGIC. I was very inconsistent with how it worked. At times it worked like bending from Avatar: The Last Airbender, characters even calling themselves fire elementals if they had fire powers. At other times they seemed able to do whatever they felt like or just what the plot needed them to do. And they are able to teleport. Maybe not a problem in itself but somehow friends and foes alike are able to teleport right into the middle of Suzaku’s private home. He is a ruler, so shouldn’t some magical protection be in place so assassins can’t do that?!! Yeah, I need to set firm rules about how magic should work.

3: SUZAKU AND ZHUQUE. During the final battle Zhuque confesses to Suzaku. And from the first sequel on, they are in a long-lasting relationship. Looking at things from the beginning though, it’s not that way at all. There Zhuque is insane and having an obsession with Suzaku – his end game being killing him the most painful way he can come up with. Then I got the destined love idea somehow and Zhuque’s character became inconsistent in his portrayal.

4: THE DEMONS. Calling the enemies demons when it turns out in the end that they are not all evil and most of them just want to live in peace might not be the most suitable. But I’m not sure what I could call them instead, either...

5: ZHUQUES SPECIES. Looking back, having them have wings 24/7 when they are humanoid-looking otherwise could cause issues had it been irl. And since they have markings in their skin, I could make them able to manifest wings at will and they appear as part of the skin markings when they are not out. Another thing about his species is that they are one single sex, meaning that any member can both impregnate or become pregnant. Still they are all referred to as males. I could call them hermaphrodites instead, but the BL fan in me opposes. Maybe I should just remove the parts about Zhuque giving birth to Suzaku’s kids... I don’t know.....

And despite my decision not to use templates, I have still decided to make an overview for my characters and writing down their personality and things like that. This way I can find the ones to cut or merge if needed. And I also hope to find the ones in need of a Personality Injection or Motivation Boost.

So, there are a lot to think about and since march is going to be a busy month for me, I do not know how much time I will have to give these things. But I hope to at least have finished the overview for the four gods, the demon kings, Haruka and Fuu before April 1st.

Here is Suzaku’s current overview for those interested. But this is only true in the beginning. He does go though a character change, not a big one but still, he is changed by certain events.

Suzaku: the second oldest of the brothers, in charge of the southern domains, have a very fiery temper making everyone thinking twice before crossing him. Seiryuu and Byakko being the only exceptions. Even though he cares for his subjects, he still thinks his own needs go before theirs. He is stubborn, and do not change opinions easily. He is also very dominating in all aspects of life. He does genuinely love each and every one of his Chosen, but even towards them he is possessive and prone to extreme jealousy.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    marshipan and Alan Aspie like this.
  5. Gladiolus83

So, I haven’t gotten much thinking done this week. Aside from other things, I also got myself hooked on the Character Chatroom. It’s lots of fun! And it has really helped me getting inside my character’s heads. I did manage to finish both Suzaku’s and Zhuque’s overviews though. Let’s see if I can finish Suzaku’s brothers’ overviews by next Sunday.

Oh, and if anyone is interested in the Characters Chatroom, my characters show up at page 75.

marshipan likes this.
  6. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Stubborn Finnsperger Contributor

Getting inside your characters head is one of the main things. It sounds you have done a lot.

Gladiolus83 likes this.
  7. Gladiolus83

So, this week I finished the overviews for Suzaku’s brothers and also made my decision regarding how magic shall work. Previously I also managed to decide about whether Zhuque’s species should have permanent wings or not (forgot to mention that!)

I also came up with a idea that would allow me to keep a character I otherwise might have had to cut. Since this new idea will involve a major reveal toward the end of the first installment, I’m keeping the lid on this one for now. Or perhaps the reveal happens in the beginning of the second installment, I’m thinking of splitting the original first novel into two so that I can give plotlines that I somewhat neglected for time purposes their time center stage this time.

If the split happens, the working titles might be something along the lines of Chronicles Of Sekai Volume 1: War of the Gods and Chronicles Of Sekai Volume 2: Attack of the Demon Kings.

But before that… Let’s see if I can finish the other demon king’s overviews during coming week.

Alan Aspie and marshipan like this.
  8. Gladiolus83

So I’ve not been able to finish the character overviews as I had planned. The reason for this is my new idea. While I thought about how to incorporate it into the existing plot a problem arrived. Not going in to spoilers… The ideas affect two characters, A and B. As I thought about the change in their role in the story, I realized that the idea also had to affect how B interacts with Character C. The problem is that we learn things about C through B, and C happen to be a main character. With the relation between B and C altered that is lost. Sadly, I have yet to come up with a solution to the problem since every idea I come up with goes against the interests of Character D, who would work closely with B in this new idea I’ve gotten.

Confusing? Yeah, I guess it can be… But since I want to keep spoilers down, I’ve tried to be as clear as I can here… And because of this issue occupying my mind I have trouble setting goals for next time as well. Hopefully I get some idea soon…

marshipan likes this.
  9. Gladiolus83

A faster update than usual. The reason is that I managed to find the solution to my problem. However, I still need to replot the story to fit the new idea in.

But as the actual editing draws closer, I can’t help but feel uneasy. The source of my unease is the sad fact that I have taken way too much upon myself. To clarify, this is what fills my time.

1: I work full time, meaning I am home around 16.00 most days.

2: I have over 500 movies/TV-shows that I intend to watch.

3: I have a pile of 50 books I intend to read.

4: I have over 50 cd’s as audio files that is in need of editing before I put them in my MP3-player.

5: My writing, which unfortunately is the easiest one of them to down prioritize....

Yeah… Being active on this forum isn’t making it easier either… It’s getting really hard not knowing what I should do about my problem. If I ignore one thing for the sake of another, then the thing I ignore will grow. But if I do everything in chosen intervals it feels as if I don’t get anywhere with anything. This is not a new problem, though. This has been bothering me on and off since 2017…

Then there is another issue… One that might even decide if I’ll keep coming back here or not. My story was originally written in Swedish, which means that if I want to post it here looking for feedback once I’ve edited it I would have to take the story through a translation phase first.

To sum things up… I might need to take a step back. Perhaps even take a complete internet break a few days in order to try and get my head straight. (Knowing myself that probably won’t happen, but somehow I can’t help but think that this might be what I need to do). Because the hours of the day just isn’t long enough for me to do all the things I have set out to do and if I don’t get my pile of stuff on track none of them will ever get done.

So, no goal to reach for next time. I really need to think…

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    marshipan likes this.
  10. Gladiolus83

So this very day I wrote myself out of the character chatroom, without really planing to. Maybe this was my subconcious way to tell me to stop dedicating time to something that won’t result in chapters being edited. As for everything else... Now that mars reaches its end and the project that has taken time from my thinking process is done I guess the time has come for me to truly sit down and make up my mind about my priorities. I hope that my writing won’t end up getting the short end of the stick. After all, this is the most motivated I’ve been about my writing in FIVE years. Would hate to see it get crushed again...

Anyway, time to put the thinking cap on for real and see what the weekend brings...

marshipan likes this.
  11. Gladiolus83

And the Character Chatroom dragged me back into it... Oh, well...

On a more serious note… I managed to write down a detailed synopsis for the first two volumes in the series. That means I have the altered plot that my new ideas made necessary all done and ready. What is needed now in order to get started on editing? Guess that it is just looking at the decisions I have to make, and get done with the ones that are necessary for the concerned volumes. I have also made a word-document with all decisions I have to make regarding my stories and can now mark the one’s which have had their decision made and find the ones that are left easier. And that turns out to be just four. Okay, so one is quite large, but I can at least try to get all four done within next week. That would also make me ready for editing just in time for my Easter vacation!!

So, the decision-making train is about to leave the station! All on board that’s going on board!!

marshipan likes this.
  12. Gladiolus83

And I’m on a roll!! Three decisions down, just one more to go. That happens to be the biggest and most important of them (proper worldbuilding) but I’m feeling positive about it. Chances of me being ready for rewriting the chapters by this weekend are looking good.

marshipan likes this.
  13. Gladiolus83

So I haven’t quite finished the worldbuilding yet. I think I might possibly be overthinking it, but back when I first started writing I just wrote the stories for the fun of it. Then later I heard the talk… That writers must research, do character development, plot ahead, do worldbuilding. Guess I might do too much of that now since I thought “What? You re supposed to do all that? Before actually writing? I’ve been doing it all wrong?” and decided to change the way I handle my writing process. True, it did turn out I needed to plan ahead better (magic being inconsistent, for example), but maybe I could have just worked on the issues I found and gotten real work done rather than being stuck thinking about stuff that maybe doesn’t even matter in the end… Well, things are the way they are, can’t go back and change it now.

Anyway, despite not being satisfied with my current level of worldbuilding I still have made progress with it. I think with a little time taken from other things I might finish it today and start editing for real tomorrow.

marshipan likes this.
  14. marshipan

marshipan Contributor Contributor

Do what works best for you! I like fumbling swiftly through a first draft just trying to have fun. After that I try and add the depth, consistency, and etc.

15. Gladiolus83

@marshipan
    To be honest I’m not sure what works best for me. My old way had its flaws, but in order to rid myself of those flaws I might be overcompensating now instead. Guess I might have to do a little trial and error to see where my aim should be between not planning-planning.

Anyway… On to my update.

I managed to finish the worldbuilding yesterday so I plan to get chapter one edited today. My hope is to do one chapter a day this week. Might not get me done with the first volume, but that should be enough for most of it.

marshipan likes this.
  16. Gladiolus83

I finished chapter one. Took longer than I had expected, but considering the change of direction this was pretty much writing a new chapter rather than editing one. I think the time needed for a chapter might vary from chapter to chapter depending on how much new content I need to add.

I have seen other progress journals mentioning word count, and thought a comparison between the old version and the new version could be fun.

Old chapter one: 3694

New chapter one: 1615.

Yeah, it got a lot smaller, didn’t it? But on the bright side, that just makes it easier to read. Sort of…

And now, on to chapter two.

marshipan likes this.
  17. Gladiolus83

And I’m done with chapter two. I will probably get back to them at a later time, though. Might still be some needed stuff missing from the new content I've added. Such as perhaps making the taunts Fuu get from the other guards for volunteering for a “babysitting-mission” actual dialogue rather than mentioned in passing during Haruka’s reaction to Fuu’s appearance. But for now, on to chapter three.

marshipan likes this.
  18. Gladiolus83

Chapter three completed. But my editing is going to slow down from now on. Beginning with chapter four things will basically be a completely new draft, meaning I will start with planning out a few chapters and then get down to write them. Will try to have chapter four done before work start again on Tuesday.

marshipan likes this.
  19. Gladiolus83

I haven't finished chapter four or planning out the coming chapters. The reason is that I'm thinking of changing the gender on two characters. I say I'm all for equality, but looking at my cast I have plenty cases of male homosexuality, but no lesbians or transgenders. Therefor one male/male couple might become female/female instead. Would that change the story? Personally, I don't think so.

Well, it's back to work tomorrow so I'll see how much time I will have for my writing going fowards.

marshipan likes this.
  20. Gladiolus83

So the gender swap didn’t happen. After thinking about it I realized that switching the two I was considering meant I had to rename one of them and that would mean that character would lose the naming theme that connects a group of characters (they are based on a group of mythological creatures). I have a perfect candidate for a trans man however, but that character doesn’t appear until the fourth installment or so.

I have also decided to try and go back to an old approach when it comes to allocate my spare time. That method is stolen from my work where each task is given a corresponding number, and the numbers are then divided among us employees on a weekly basis.

After working on that a little, my schedule next week is as follows:

Monday: watching shows/movies

Tuesday: editing music files

Wednesday: reading

Thursday: writing

Friday: watching shows/movies

Saturday: editing music files

Sunday: reading

So what does this mean? Well, my mountain of shows and movies will suffer, but at least every hobby gets its due. And if by example I run out of music files to edit then I’ll just stop putting that number into the schedule until there is and the other stuff will get more time. Yes, writing got it worst this week but since the week after that I’ll just keep going from the number Sunday had, which mean that the number that gets the least time one week might get most another and it all equals out.

I also intend to post in this thread on a more set regular basis from now on. So the goal for next time? Well, given my schedule and the time I have on my hands a normal work day… I’d say six-eight episodes of the animé Zetsuen No Tempest will be it. Watching and reading stuff can be considered research in a way, can’t it?

marshipan likes this.
  21. Gladiolus83

In the end I saw 10 episodes today.

Tomorrow I will be editing music files. Oh, why do they need to be edited in the first place, wouldn’t I save time if I just put them on my mp3-player as they are? Well, most songs I get are in Japanese and the files have the information written in that language. I can’t read a single word, sadly enough, so in order to know the title and artist I need to find them translated one way or another and then change the files. Depending on how easy it is to find the time needed for a single CD can vary greatly.

My goal is to do 10 of the 15 CD’s I have from the Bang Dream-franchise.

marshipan likes this.
  22. Gladiolus83

I did even more CDs than I had expected today. The whole lot of the Bang Dream CDs as a matter of fact. Tomorrow I’ll hit the books.

marshipan likes this.
  23. Gladiolus83

So today I even managed to finish one book. True, it was a collection of short stories and I skipped the ones I wasn’t interested in. But I still consider that book done.

Tomorrow it’s writing time. Unfortunately, we also have a mandatory meeting at work, which mean I won’t be home until 17.00. I still plan to plot out a few chapters tomorrow. Five maybe.

marshipan likes this.
  24. Gladiolus83

I managed to plot out the next five chapters. Or rather, I already knew all this stuff was going to happen in the story I just sorted out the events into the chapter I intend to have them happen in.

Tomorrow is animé time again. I think I’ll manage 10 episodes this time too, meaning Zetsuen No Tempest will be finished (have four episodes left of that one) and I’ll start Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood right after.

marshipan and Alan Aspie like this.
  25. Gladiolus83

In the end I only managed 8 episodes.

Tomorrow it’s time to edit some music. I’ll start with Re: Stage and Aikatsu. I might have the time for some Idolm@ster too.

Alan Aspie and marshipan like this.