1. GlitterRain7

GlitterRain7 The Queen of Nowhere

GlitterRain7's Progress Journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by GlitterRain7, Jan 22, 2018.

So, I finally decided to make one of these.

Just a bit of background: This is my first novel (It's YA fiction), and the idea for it has existed for a little over two years. It currently does not have a title. (It's had many titles in the past, but none of them have ever stuck, so I just call it "The Story") Since it came into existence, I've written a "first draft" which has a very basic outline of what I want this story to be, and it is 22k. (It also makes me cringe and/or cry whenever I read it because it's not written very good)

Present day: My "second draft" currently sits at around 50k (haven't done a word count add up in a couple chapters:rolleyes:) I'm a little over half way done as long as I don't add any more chapter ideas in my outline. I started this in, probably, March 2017. (Can't remember for sure)

This book means a lot to me, and I hope to one day get it published. I feel like only then will the characters leave me alone (If they were real people, I think they would be constantly tugging at my arm, saying "Come on, keep writing!:p)

I feel like my young age is a good and bad thing as I try to write this novel. Good because I have the self satisfaction of knowing that I'm a "young writer" (Don't know if that makes sense or not, but oh well) Bad because I sometimes feel like since I'm young, I'm automatically not as good as other, older, more experienced writers.

I'm naturally creative though, so I'm not very surprised that I've found myself on this path.

My current goal is just to keep writing, and make sure I'm writing as high quality chapters as I can.

Anyways, I will try to keep this updated as I continue on the path of finishing this draft, and whatever happens from there. Thanks for stopping by!:):ghost:

2. GlitterRain7

Quick update:
    I just finished reading through chapter 22 (My longest chapter yet, at 3788 words)
    On to chapter 23 tomorrow hopefully!
    I just counted. I'm at nearly 56K now.

3. GlitterRain7

Originally was going to post yesterday, but I was really busy.
    Anyways,
    Since I last posted, I wrote two chapters, chapters 23 and 24. It got a bit complicated because I actually wrote chapter 23 and decided it was too long so what I did was split it in half, and take what was supposed to be the chapter 24, got rid of a scene from that, and moved the rest of it to Chapter 23. Then I put that other half of what was in chapter 23 (the really long part) and made it chapter 24 in its entirety. So, it was a bit of a process, but I got through it, and just started chapter 25 tonight.
    I'm going to try to update this on Sundays though.

Andy_Megumi and Shenanigator like this.
  4. GlitterRain7

Wrote chapter 25 this week. I got hung up on the last scene though.
    Currently I'm trying to decide between two different scenarios that could happen for chapter 26.
    Today I came up with a really good subplot, but I don't know if it's really off the wall with the type of story this is. It would put some mystery and a little bit of suspense in it though. It would also probably be sort of hard to tie in with what I have so far too, so...yeah. I'll think on that some more, but my gut feeling is I need something less extreme.

5. GlitterRain7

So, I went with this subplot, and I really like it. I decided that it really isn't too off the wall with the story.
    Finished chapters 26 and 27 this week. I also hit 70k.
    Just started chapter 28 today.

6. GlitterRain7

I got three chapters done this week. Yay!:)

7. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin You're nearly a laugh... Contributor

Three more than me...

8. GlitterRain7

Since I last updated, I wrote two more chapters, putting my novel at about 75% completion. If I keep writing two chapters a week, I should be done around the first week of April. (Yay!) If I end up writing more than two a week, I may get done earlier then that.

9. GlitterRain7

I wrote four chapters this week, since I haven't been at school because all the teachers are striking. So, good thing for my writing, bad thing for my summer vacation...seriously, I'm a senior and just really want out of school. Now I'll probably be forced to go to school until June... Graduation was supposed to be in May...:(
    On the (other) down side, I'm having relationship problems. I'm pushing through them as hard as I can, but sometimes I just can't bring myself to write...
    Anyways...end rant. Just started chapter 37 today. I have 6 more chapters, provided that I don't add any more. I'm also adding a letter at the end and an epilogue, but those won't be very lengthy.
    The end of this manuscript is in sight:) It's the final countdown!:eek:
    *Super excited*

10. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

You are on a roll. This is great!

11. GlitterRain7

I finished three chapters again this week, since we had to go back to school.
    Just in case anyone was wondering, nope! Our graduation didn't change. We still get out in May! Everyone other then seniors will be going into June though.
    Back to business, though. I have three chapters left!
    And also, I wanted to post a little bit about what my story is about, so I kind of wrote a blurb for you guys. It was really hard though, because my book is really quite "slice of life-ish." So, here goes...

Perhaps the only things keeping Elliot alive are his poetry and his best friend, Christopher, who's been there for him even after his life was turned upside down. But now Christopher is moving, and Elliot thinks that maybe being completely, utterly alone will be what finally makes him give up on life. He's lost everything he's ever known already. All he has left is memories...and Russell, his identical twin. Their hate runs deep into the heart of their strikingly different personalities, but as long as they stay away from each other, they seem to be able to coexist on the same planet.
    But Christopher sets Elliot up with one of the hottest girls in the school before he leaves, a blonde-haired beauty named Abigail who’s in with Elliot’s former friends, the rich, prestigious Preps who try to run the school.
    Hmm, maybe Elliot won't be so alone after all?
    Unfortunately, everyone has their own agenda, some more devious than others. How much is Elliot willing to fight for something that he already lost, and how much is he willing to give up? Does he truly have a chance, or is he putting the fragile hold he has on life on the line?

This is really the beginning events of the book. I don't know if, because everything is different after a certain point, this isn't a really good blurb. Like, the book goes on even after all of these events are over. But the only way I could figure out how to actually give you guys an idea of my book is through a blurb. I felt like a summary would tell the whole thing because of how the book is set up. So, yeah...there it is.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  12. GlitterRain7

I got two chapters done this week. I have one more to go, plus the two things I need to add at the end. I just got started on the last chapter about a half hour ago.
    I'm super excited, but it's going to be weird having it completely finished.
    I guess now I need to prepare myself for reading the whole thing start to finish and doing some editing.
    Any tips for that?

13. GlitterRain7

I finished my manuscript on Wednesday, which I already posted on the Happy Thread.:)
    I think I've taken as long of a break as I can on it, though. Yeah, I know it's better to wait as long as you can so it gets out of your head, but I can't wait anymore. I went to the local library and printed the entire thing out yesterday. So now I'm going to mark that thing up. I'm hoping that editing on paper will be better for me than editing on the computer.
    ETA: I have a working title now, so I'm really happy about that as well.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
    Andy_Megumi, Shenanigator and Dracon like this.
  14. PennyDreadfully

PennyDreadfully Member

I know I'm veeeeery late to the party on this--but well done! :cheerleader:

How long were you working on the book for? It must feel fantastic to have finished your first draft!

15. GlitterRain7

Thanks!
    The manuscript took a year to write, but I've worked on the idea and developing the story since December 2015.

16. Dragon Turtle

Dragon Turtle Active Member

I always have SUCH a hard time waiting before I go back and start revisions. It's so exciting to finally sit down with a printed-out draft. Congratulations!

17. GlitterRain7

So, this week I started my first round of revising. One day in, I scratched working on paper. I just couldn't do it. I'm still happy I got the thing printed out, but nope, let me work on my computer.
    Anyways, yeah, I'm also almost done with said first round of revising. Not sure if that's a good thing or bad.

Andy_Megumi, Shenanigator and Dracon like this.
  18. GlitterRain7

This week, (Monday), I finished round one of revising. Didn't do anything else the rest of the week because I was busy with prom and stuff. All in all, it worked out pretty good because I think it was good that I had about a week where I wasn't doing anything with it.
    I'm going to start round two of revisions this week. I already have some things in mind that I need to change this time around. Really going to try to focus on making sure every sentence is good, rather than focusing on the actual plot and stuff. That's what I mostly did last time.
    I really hope this is the last round of revisions before I can get it out to a few beta readers. I have some people (friends) who have offered to read it. I'd preferably like them to be finished with it before we go off to summer vacation.

19. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Senior Member

Congrats! If you need another Beta, feel free to PM me. I'd love to Beta your book! I liked the description you posted earlier in the thread.

20. GlitterRain7

Well, this week didn't go as well as I wanted it to. I got my new MacBook a few days ago so I was messing around with that. Not that I'm not happy about it, I love it, I just didn't get any work done for those few days. Then I had that one day where I was just like "This manuscript is trash." Then last night I didn't do anything because I had this headache and I couldn't sit there and concentrate. All in all, I got the first 12 chapters through round two of revisions. I was hoping for at least 21, half the manuscript, but that didn't happen.
    Something I'm worried about though is my word count. I got it down to 114k after the first round of revision, but it seems to be creeping up a little. I can't seem to get it down to 100k, and I'm really hoping that it won't go up to 115k.

Andy_Megumi, Shenanigator and Foxxx like this.
  21. Foxxx

Foxxx The Debonair Contributor

Every day I think my manuscript is trash, so don't feel too bad. You're doing fine.

This is my first time in this thread; is there a reason you have to get it down to 100k?

22. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Senior Member

Yeah, unfortunately it's happened enough that I've learned that it's either a writing day or a computer setup day. Or printer set up day. Or apps downloading. Or any new device setup. And I always allow 2 -3x longer than I first think it will take. Today, for example, I had to do some stuff to the printer, and it took over two and a half hours. Should have taken an hour, max, but of course there was a paper jam, then a carriage jam.

I'm hearing that a lot when it comes to revisions...The answer seems to be a set aside and go back for yet another draft, focusing on killing some darlings.

Hang in there!

Andy_Megumi and GlitterRain7 like this.
  23. GlitterRain7

Not an official reason, but based on what I’ve read on the internet, if you go over, like, 100-110k, it might be too long, especially if you’re a first time author.

Andy_Megumi, Shenanigator and Foxxx like this.
  24. GlitterRain7

I need to rant about this story. I've been thinking about this a lot last night and it's really kind of important. I'm hoping that what I have is okay, but I can't tell, because, you know, I'm the writer and I know things about this story that aren't even in the book.
    Anyways, I need to rant on the antagonist, Russell. Thing is, he's a great character. I love his personality and how it conflicts with Elliot's, the protagonist and his identical twin. At first glance, he seems like the "evil twin," but in all reality, he's not evil. He actually has somewhat better morals then Elliot has.
    Problem is, I can't show that side of him very well, or at least, I feel like I can't. Reason being, there's no great way unless I added in chapters with his POV, which I can't do because this manuscript is already too long as it is. It's very hard to show the things I want to show about him because, well, him and Elliot hate each other. They don't go hanging out together. They don't have the same friends. They really don't even have the same interests/goals.
    So, basically, I want him to feel like a true main character, and I'm worried that he might not come across as that. And that's especially bad because he's the main physical antagonist.
    In my mind, I want him to be number two only next to Elliot, but I feel like the girl that Elliot dates steals that from him because, you know, Elliot hangs around her. And I'm not denying that she's a main character either, it's just that I feel like Russell should come in front of her.
    Maybe this is a pointless rant. Maybe what I have is okay. I just can't tell. I want to give the three main characters what they deserve. I think I've done pretty well with Elliot and his girlfriend, but Russell, I'm not so sure...:pity:
    {ETA: And I've thought about just writing a sequel to the original book with Elliot's POV but have it be in Russell's POV instead, and that's not entirely off the table if this book actually gets published, but I have another character I'd like to make a prequel of. Also, I'm not sure if adding a sequel (or prequel) would ruin the original book. Because if I did write a sequel (this wouldn't be affected by the prequel I just mentioned) about Russell, it would have to be in the same time as the original book, so both books would have to work together.}

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  25. GlitterRain7

I just finished chapter 27 for the second round of revision. This is taking much longer than I thought it would, but anyways, let me tell you a story...
    Yesterday, I decided to cut a whole chapter. A rather long one at that. I thought I didn't need it. I thought I'd just take a few scenes I wanted, extract them, and find them another home. I almost succeeded, I almost got my word count down to 111k. I just couldn't figure out a place for this one very important scene, the scene where Elliot and his girlfriend's mom are talking.
    I ended up putting the whole chapter back in, and I had to take out the parts from that chapter that I had already extracted and placed in other chapters. It was a pain, and so frustrating. And now I'm back at 113k. Oh well.
    So, here's a tip: If you're doing something major to your manuscript like that, consider making a new version of your document before you start, so if you change your mind you can just delete the new one and go back to the old one.