1. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

Are characters with Skull-helmets and Armour cliche?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Fullmetal Xeno, Oct 19, 2011.

I was wondering about characters and i got the idea of having one of my main characters being extremely iconic, so i thought i could make something stand out from all the other characters. I soon got the idea of a skull-plated helmet/armor whatever you want to call it implemented or carved onto the character's Armor to scare away enemies or taunt them. I know there's A LOT of video-game characters with skull helmets such as Emile from Halo Reach, Ghost from Modern Warfare 2, Dutch from ODST, Numerous characters in Ghost Recon, and the main character in Starcraft has a skull helmet. Do you think skull helmets are too overdone? Wouldn't you want to see more of an iconic value? Or do you think this won't be a common choice? I like this idea alot but i wanted professorial support and how i could improve or notice something and adjust it to make the complete character i want.

2. suddenly BANSHEES

suddenly BANSHEES Senior Member

Doesn't matter - skull-helmets are hella cool. Especially if it's like a cow's skull.

It doesn't seem that cliche to be, but I don't play many video games. If you're writing a story, though, video game tropes shouldn't really matter - video games can tell stories, with interesting plots and characters and all that, but it's a totally different medium.

3. Quezacotl

Quezacotl New Member

Nope.
    Helmets and armor are underdone, period.

4. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan New Member

I think it is something of a cliche, but that isn't much of a problem if it doesn't distract from the character. If, say, you force the reader to assume a character is evil simply because they have skull helmets and pointy dark armor, then yes, it is problematic.

5. Goldstein

Goldstein New Member

I think they can be cool, but don't be like, "Hey, look at this guy! He has a skull helmet! He's evil!" And certainly don't say, "He has a skull helmet for the heck of it," if he isn't evil. There has to be a reason. Emile was a crazy sadist, while I never even knew Ghost's name. You kind of have to give everything a reason. Is he a bloodthirsty axe-maniac? Is he part of some weird religion, and that skull helmet is his friend's/dad's/worst enemy's?

Anyway, I like actual skull helmets. Not very protective, but who cares? He's wearing a freaking skull on his head.

6. Kaynic

Kaynic Member

I do think they are overdone, and because so many skull helmets don't provide much protection -- they're just there to look "cool" -- I think it would be a bit cliche unless his helmet actually serves a function and fully protects him. Also, wearing distinguishing marks on the battlefield is generally frowned upon; it makes the opposition better able to target and pick you out, hence the reason enlisted don't salute an officer on an active battlefield, especially under threat of snipers or close opposition contact. Still, if it serves a purpose, I'd personally like the idea; for instance, do those he fights against have some belief concerning anything a skull might represent? Do they have certain tenets in their culture about skulls/religious imagery/etc? The squad at the center of my story all wore the skull and bones emblem seen on Finnish army helmets to mark themselves as part of the Valkoinen Kuolema regiment, for example.

7. Goldstein

Goldstein New Member

I suppose you could place metal plates inside to better protect the user. There were hats made of iron made to look just like felt hats by covering them in felt. Simple and ingenious.

And maybe his character is really arrogant and wants people to recognize him?

8. James Berkley

James Berkley Banned

only a little
    most people want a little more protection then that.
    Some of it might matter on MOS of the soldier.
    For example if his MOS has him fighting from a noisy vehicle, camouflage does not matter much. If he is recon it does a lot more. I will never get the helicopter/armored guys that insist on having elastic magazine loops. No one is going to hear Velcro over the noise of your helicopter.

9. Evilyn

Evilyn New Member

I think it sounds cool, even cliche things can still be good if done right.

10. Jack Mackerel

Jack Mackerel New Member

For protagonists, yes. I'm tired of the "armorless/helmetless" protagonist when the evil enemies get all the awesome gear.

11. Jack Mackerel

Jack Mackerel New Member

For protagonists, yes. I'm tired of the "armorless/helmetless" protagonist when the evil enemies get all the awesome gear.

12. colorthemap

colorthemap New Member

Why that is a trope.

But yeah go all out, but don't have the friendly badger wearing a skull helmet, make it make sense.

13. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

It will, im going to make background about the skull alone. It's supposed to have a meaning to it.