1. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Good Bible Quotes?

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Link the Writer, Feb 25, 2011.

Hey, I know this may seem incredibly random, but I'm writing the dialogue of a priest in my story and basically, he talks about how God put us on the Earth to help the infirmed (the infirm in question is a hunchback in my Colonial mystery story). To confirm this idea, he quotes a passage from the Bible.

Are there good Bible quotes I can use? I considered using one from Jesus' parable about the injured stranger that no one wants to help. However, it doesn't seem to fit, as the man in question is deformed, not injured.

EDIT: As to why he's helpful and not repulsed? Well, not all priests are one thing or the other. :D He's one to help anyone regardless if he understands why they're in that state.

2. Leonardo Pisano

Leonardo Pisano Active Member

http://www.biblegateway.com/

http://www.biblegateway.com/

You can search with keywords.

3. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

The classic would be the Good Samaritan, The Sermon on the Mount - the Beatitudes, the basic commandments to love your fellow man etc.

4. Terry D

Terry D Active Member

Matthew 25:40,

"That which you do unto the least of my my brothers, you do also unto me."

1 person likes this.
  5. Melancholia

Melancholia New Member

I think Matthew 25:40 would indeed do the trick. Also! If you'd like to quote a story, the one about the rich man would also be effective. Jesus tells the rich man who wants to be his follower to give his riches to the poor and to follow him, but the rich man was not able to remove his attachment to his wealth, proving Jesus' point in a roundabout way.

6. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

What about the stuff about the leprosy guy? I mean I realize being a hunchback doesn't mean you're diseased, but in the old school days, having leprosy was seen as a social pariah issue, right?

7. SeverinR

SeverinR New Member

I like people to post links, so I can do the search.

Give a fish, teach to fish thing.

There are alot of sights that can offer bible versuses according to what you search for, most of the time, I use a search engine to find it.
    Personally I don't write about god/God/or Gods, other then basic information, because if I get it wrong, people will be offended. I tend to stay away from modern politics also, same reason.
    But we need books on those subjects too, just not my flavor.

8. MatrixGravity

MatrixGravity Member

Prayer is the best way we can draw strength from heaven.

9. Link the Writer

That sounds perfect. I wonder though, is it Matthew Chapter 25, Verse 40? (Sorry, I haven't read the Bible in a long time. I know, I'm a bad Christian. XD.)

So, how would the guy say it?

"'That which you do unto the least of my brothers, you do also unto me.' Chapter twenty-five, verse forty."

10. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Yeah, it's chapter twenty five, verse forty. But (not knowing the precise context of where you're quoting this) would he need to give the chapter and verse? Seems a little clumsy to be, just having him tack it on the end.

Or, I suppose, you could have someone ask "What's that?", and him elaborate.

11. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

And as a comeback, 'Am I my brother's keeper?' Genesis iv. 9. (Cain and Abel)

12. Link the Writer

Wow, that could totally be what the villain says in the climax!

13. travisbaker

travisbaker Banned

If you have faith as a grain of mustard seed, you will say to your mountain, "MOVE!" and it WILL move... and NOTHING will be impossible for YOU!
    - Matthew 17:20

14. The Degenerate

The Degenerate Active Member

There's this passage that I've got memorized; sort of fits the occasion. Ezekiel 25:17 - The path of the righteous man is best on all sides by the inequities of the selfish, and the tyrany of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepards the weak through the valley of darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper, and the finder of lost children. And I shall strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger, those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord, when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Okay, so it's not a real Bible quote... but it was a good opportunity to use it.

15. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

Because you say 'priest' rather than pastor or vicar or something, is he Catholic? Don't forget that if your priest is Catholic or High Church he would be much more likely to quote philosophers or teachers like Thomas Aquinas. Quoting from the Bible is a fundamentalist Protestant habit which isn't very common outside certain parts of the US. In all my years at a Catholic convent school we never read the Old Testament!

16. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

There's a passage I got memorized.

Ezekiel 25:17. "The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

17. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

Don't know any quotes, but your priest could point out that Jesus performed many of his wonders to help the poor and the sick. He didn't just do it to impress people with his powers.

18. Shahar

Shahar New Member

For me, at least, the noting of the chapter and verese dameges the flow of the conversation. But maybe thats just me.

Anyway,You shouldn't feel bad. I've been forced to sit in Bible lessons for eight years and I cant quote any thing from it. XD (Though I must say that if it had been in english I would have enjoyed it vey much.)