Tags:
  1. GrottyStatute74

GrottyStatute74 Member

Greetings fine people... It's me, a 14 year old dude who writes... For fun, of course.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by GrottyStatute74, Apr 3, 2016.

I've always liked writing. It could be to the fact that, unlike video games development, there is no "game engine" or silly "technical limitations" when you write. Only your skill and imagination. Thus, I've spent the last two years writing horribly, with hopes of it improving soon.
    My genre? I've always liked fantasy. And not the happy jolly fantasy of Tolkien (though it's definitely far from bad, I've read the Lotr and the Hobbit). I like the gritty unforgiving worlds that the Witcher holds... Don't forget Game of Thrones!

Also, Hi! How are you on this fine day... Or is it evening?

Lifeline likes this.
  2. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

Hi there!

I have a dear friend who keeps nagging me that I should read the Witcher, and I keep forgetting. Hopefully with you around I won't, anymore :)

Welcome!

GrottyStatute74 likes this.
  3. GrottyStatute74

GrottyStatute74 Member

Hello there! :)
    It's a pretty good book, especially if you're tired of the cliche fantasy is becoming. Thanks for such a quick response :)

4. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Contributor

Good, learn to write early.
    Makes it easier later on and a few awards/publications always look good on a resume :3

5. GrottyStatute74

GrottyStatute74 Member

At this pace, publication is very unlikely, and awards are super unlikely... Believe it or not, writing isn't easy. I think, when I enter a new scene, I start off amazingly, setting the mood... Then a fight turns up, and I ruin everything by trying to look poetic or good...

6. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Contributor

I won an award at 13 I think for an essay (though that only remains impressive for soooo long once you're out of school)
    And once you get comfortable and good, you can start joining contests and the like (which again, look good even if you don't place first)
    So, I think if you really want to write and get good, you'll be good before high school ends.
    Just read lots, read articles, and crack open a technique book or two.

<--- I suck at fight scenes too. I'm a character guy, not an action guy.

7. Topaztock

Topaztock Member

Hello! Welcome to the forum, stick around - it'll give you as much as you put in!

That's exactly how I felt when I was 14 (which was only 5 years ago!) but the good news is the more you write, the more you improve and I know for a fact that the 19 year old me (hi!) is a much better writer than the 14 year old me. So I guess the moral of the story is if you keep at it, you get better and it's noticeable within months, even weeks. Those awesome fights scenes will come, just focus on telling the story!

8. GrottyStatute74

GrottyStatute74 Member

Thanks for responding! Yeah, I've no doubt I'll get better. It's just that it feels like I am good enough to write a somewhat decent story... But there's always that one thing (the most recent one was the ending of the scene, which included a fight) messes the whole thing up. Then I feel lazy (it comes with teenhood I guess... I only turned 14 today!) to write it over.

9. Justin Phillips

Justin Phillips Active Member

Welcome! Can't wait to see some of your work. I'll be posting mine soon. It's also really fun to read other's works, some really great ideas can pop up that way.

10. KokoN

KokoN Active Member

Hello, welcome! I read the Hobbit and really enjoyed it! I look forward to reading your work. :)