1. Megs33

Megs33 Active Member

Stylus tablets for editing

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by Megs33, Apr 11, 2017.

In past attempts to edit my writing, something felt weird. it didn't gel in my head the way i hoped. something seemed stiff and awkward, which, i'm sure most people know, does not make for a very enjoyable process.

my natural progression of thought led me to realize that i do my best work by hand. jotting down random notes and ideas felt more fluid than using a keyboard. but that led to new issues... namely that i will not write full manuscripts/chapters/whatever solely by hand. i enjoy my wrists carpal tunnel-free, thank you very much. so now i'm thinking "clearly my best bet is to type all these wacky notes in to something legible, then print it out so i can edit by hand!"

...except i really don't want to waste that much printer ink and paper. freakin' a.

my most recent thought is to invest in a tablet with a stylus that i could use it to view a chapter, paragraph, etc, and be able to mark the heck out of the whole thing without having to kill half a forest. something about that appeals to me; the structure of typed words with the fluidity of writing all over it. double bonus: being able to save it with all the markups (i know i can do that in Word, but something about that seems too utilitarian to me).

does anyone operate this way? or am i blazing a new trail here? i feel like i'm on to something here, but i'm curious if there are any knowledge bombs that can be dropped.

2. Jack Semmes

Jack Semmes New Member

Megs, don't get caught up in the how to edit, just edit. Kill a few trees to begin with. If you want to try a tablet, do so, but keep the work moving. Don't let this mental debate stop or even slow down your production.

joe sixpak and Megs33 like this.
  3. joe sixpak

joe sixpak Banned

For me it is faster better easier to edit on paper.