Tags:
  1. Simon Says

Simon Says Member

Any one writing on Google Docs?

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by Simon Says, Jun 8, 2018.

I know a lot of people on here use scrivener but my W.P program of choice is Open Office... no monies to Mr Gates (and no guilty conscience using a less than legitimate copy of Bill's software) and it seems to tick all the boxes.. I have sent out Open Office docs saved as MS Office docs to loads of people with no issues...

But recently I've started using Google Docs, I know it's a very basic W.P but I like the cloud aspect as it syncs to phone/tablet/P.C so I've been able to write a few paragraphs in my lunch break and it is there on the P.C when I get home. I know I could use open office on a tablet but I'd have to email the file back and forth to keep a coherent manuscript going.

I'm not sure I could write an 80,000 word novel on it as it's quite cumbersome to use (even though I had an Amstrad W.P years ago....) but it's certainly good for short stories... and I transported my ebook as a PDF to it as setting up an Active table of contents is far easier than Open Office

So as title really anyone using to write a novel

Thoughts? experiences?

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Moved to the Software subforum...

3. Nariac

Nariac Contributor Contributor

I only use Google Docs when I want to upload a Word document for my editor and I to both talk about and edit in real time over a Skype call. The ability for two people to edit the same document at once is handy in that regard for me.

Shenanigator likes this.
  4. GB reader

GB reader Contributor Contributor

So far I have only written short story, max 5000 words. For this it works fine. I have heard of people having problems with larger documents. But I think it depends on how good your internet connection is.

It's great that you can access the documents from everyware. I edit them from two computers and my pad. I also have them marked as available when offline. This means I can write even when I don't have internet connection.

5. Simon Says

Simon Says Member

As O. P., I'm not sure I like the sound of glitches for anything over short story length. I tbink I'll use it for an odd paragraph or page when out then cut and paste to an open office doc.

Thanks for all the replies and if you have any experiences good or bad then please continue the thread

6. Miscellaneous Worker

Miscellaneous Worker Member

I think Google Docs is the best for writing because of that ability to save things on the cloud for you to access later. It also makes sharing things super easy, being able to manage settings of commenting, editing, viewing and whatever else. The only problem I have ever found with it is the load time after about 20,000 words. Besides that, I think it's perfect.

7. kriti

kriti New Member

Yes, I m agree with you. I am also enjoying work on Google Docs. It is really great.