1. Published on Amazon? If you have a book, e-book, or audiobook available on Amazon.com, we'll promote it on WritingForums.org for free. Simply add your book to our Member Publications section. Add your book here or read the full announcement.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  1. roguemaster1224

roguemaster1224 New Member

Gothic Titles

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by roguemaster1224, May 31, 2013.

Does anyone know how gothic titles are usually made? And by that I mean like are gothic titles usually based on the setting or the protagonist's character or what because I am currently writing a gothic (or horror) novel and I am trying to research gothic titles.

Thanks in advance :D

2. escorial

escorial Member

you may be open to suggestions but is the title that important.

3. ProsonicLive

ProsonicLive Senior Member

give it a dark but recognizable name redemption of Judas or angels fall pray four horsenen

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

any title should have some relevance to the story, gothic or whatever...

5. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributing Member Contributor

There isn't a unique way of titling a gothic horror novel, if that is what you're asking for. It's no different from deciding on a title for any other story.

Yesterday I sat in on a presentation on fiction writing, and the speaker said that after initially using a 'clever' title (jargon) that he found many of his beta readers didn't understand, he researched into naming techniques and decided that using a phrase/line that actually appears in the text is the most effective away of titling a story. I wouldn't necessarily agree with this, but you may find it useful.