Government Shutdown (US)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by EdFromNY, Oct 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Let me suggest you are wasting your time debating a purely party-oriented person. All that matters is that the party be defended in any situation. Whether you're talking to a right wing Fox News addict or a Democrat apologist, the end result is the same. Discussion is futile :)

erebh and jazzabel like this.
  2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Once again, I cite specifics and the reply is a hand wave, no substance, just ignore the fact it's a square peg and pound it into the round hole anyway.

Nothing personal guys. I cited fake marketing messages, the history of their use, and the facts that contradict them, and you are hand waving saying it's only blind ideology. The ideology I have is with media literacy and critical thinking. Neither of those two things leans right or left.

As for a broken system, blame is not mutually exclusive with a broken system. You can have both.

3. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

The two party system plagues the entire world, as I see it. The 'third' party is always just a hidden limb of either of the two and if it (rarely, if ever) wins an election, that becomes apparent. At times I wonder whether there is any difference at all between the Western-style democracy and the Communist Party elections where people get to choose among a few personalities. Same ideology, same agenda, different rhetoric. Whether your God is money, or equality, or power, it always comes down to controlling the population through illusion of choice.

Also, I am not sure why anyone is so enamoured by 'democracy' anyway. Democracy was only ever possible in the context of slavery, slaves drove it economically, today as two thousand years ago. Only the outward aesthetic is changed. It seems ridiculous anyone would want to 'bring' it to anyone.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
    Orihalcon likes this.
  4. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Not all that surprising, royal blood lines are funny things. I used to live with someone who could trace his heritage back to the plantagenets. Apparently the guy who really should be the king of England is a carpenter in Australia. Some Taxi driver in the east end of London was traced down as part of an investigation into the living descendants of Richard III. If memory serves me rightly he was called 'Dave', which I find wonderfully English.

5. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

I think I was in his cab one night... yeah Dave... Smith I think... had a jellied eel and bottle o' brown ale as I recall and pearly buttons up and down his tin o' fruit, danced around like Chas's mate Dave singing My Ol' Man's a dust King or summink... he said summink 'bout one of his ancestors being buried in a car-park alright...
    ... couldn't wait to get home to be honest :)

jazzabel and Lemex like this.
  6. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

So here is something to add to the conspiracy theorist. Today I was watching one of the news channels and they said that China, who owns $1.3 trillion of the United States $17 trillion of debt, has said they are not happy with the idea of the U.S. raising their debt limit instead of finding a solution to their budget and being able to pay pack debts without borrowing more. China feels that by the U.S. borrowing more money and selling more treasury bonds, it lowers the value of the debt they already hold. They have threatened to start selling their U.S. bonds. Guess who has already said they are willing to buy them...wait for it...the federal reserve! Yes I know the federal reserve is separate from the government, but how could it be right for the institution that prints U.S. money and sets borrowing percentages, to buy into the government debt? They could just print more money, driving down the value of the dollar, to buy the bonds with, making U.S. debt basically worthless to own.

Things just keep getting worse and worse.

jazzabel likes this.
  7. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Ok, this thread really doesn't have anywhere else to go. It was already re-hash by page 8 and it's clear that the attention is drifting to other matters, so before this set of lawn darts causes a tragedy:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.