1. JKing

JKing New Member

Gradual Revision

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by JKing, Jun 3, 2009.

I read that authors sometimes have someone to read their novel as they're writing it to tell them what works, what doesn't, etc. Who are these readers usually? Are they a family member or close friend, or someone familiar with writing/literature? How much of a chunk do you give them to look over while you're continuing to write your story? Or am I mistaken and do most authors write their whole novel first, and then have others look at it? Thanks.

2. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

I can really only answer for myself, but my husband is my first reader (and was even when he was the goofy guy next door) and he sees the absolute raw work, usually within hours of the ink hitting the page. He is also a writer. I am his first reader, as well.

The next people to see it are my writing/crit group. They see it in 25 page (standard manuscript format) chunks or less, because that is the limit for that group. The group is about 75% published writers, the rest aspiring to be so.

Some authors may wait until the thing is finished before anyone else sees it. That would scare me a little bit. If a part that I think is perfectly clear is actually confusing as heck, I'd like to know that before I've typed, "THE END."

3. Carbon

Carbon New Member

What I've tried doing in the past is writing the story in chunks of whatever size suits you, then passing it off to an internet buddy. Rework as necessary and make sure the person is willing to read it before shoving it in their faces. Just my two cents.

4. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

This is one of those "it's different for everyone" kinds of things. We could tell you want we do, but it's not necessarily going to help. Not everyone has the same access to support that other have. The ones who do may or may not be interested. Seems like you already understand what the different option are, so the one helpful thing I can tell you is this: I like to finish before I revise because that way it's easier to make things consistent. But whether most authors do it that way or not doesn't matter. Relax and figure out what YOU need to do instead of worrying about what others do.

5. Dcoin

Dcoin New Member

Like Rose, I like the idea of layering the critique of my work. The only addition to her comments is I think that getting an opinion from your "target readership" should be a part of the process, if possible.

6. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

I like people to read it while creating it.
    So that way I can edit and fix it.
    Cause fixing after I written The End is very very very very hard.
    It also helps having people edit it while writing it cause English is my second language.
    Edit: But I'm not an author yet.

7. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I never ask a close friend or family member to critique it unless they have knowledge in literature/writing. Usually, they stick mostly to positive remarks which doesn't do very much to help the reviewing process.

8. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

That's why I tend to ask my writing group.

9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

the main thing is to ask only those who can tell the difference between good writing and bad... sadly, not everyone who reads can do that...

love and hugs, maia

10. MelissaLynne

MelissaLynne New Member

I don't really share my stories with family or friends unless its a finished product, or I might if its a finished roughed draft. To me, if they like my stories then its worth something. My family doesn't read as nearly as much as I do, but if they enjoy it then I take it as a good sign. If they didn't like it what's the chance that others will? Just how I feel.